Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Job, Career, Vocation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job, Career, Vocation?

I am reading a book right now that discusses the differences in: (1) a job (something you do, essentially for the money but with no real intention to continue doing it for your entire life), (2) a career (a job with a long-term trajectory), and (3) a vocation (a job that is really a calling--that is, something you feel compelled to do by a inner sense of purpose, whether it is a divinely inspired or conscience-driven puporse...the kind of job that you'd do regardless of the money, because of what you accomplish by doing it).

Who has a job? Who has a career? Who has a vocation? If you have a career, why don't you consider it a vocation? If you have a vocation, how did you know that it is your true "calling"--did it begin as a job, then blossom into a conviction? And who has given up a career for a vocation? Who has a job and is actively looking for a vocation?

Just really interested in others' experience in this...

At the moment, I have a vocation (SAHM). I don't know if I'd call what I was doing in health care admin a career or a vocation, although I actually lean toward saying vocation because I really felt like I was making a difference and what I did actually mattered (I did a ton with quality assurance and had a different perspective than most because I often saw things through a physician's eyes because of DH).

I find this a really interesting concept. I was saddened having a conversation with some girlfriends a couple of weeks ago. They were basically saying that their spouses jobs were just a means to get paid and that they were so happy that work stayed at work. Maybe it's because I am married to a physician, but I can't imagine my spouse going somewhere for so many hours, leaving his family, all just for money. I'm glad that DH is passionate (or maybe obsessed) with his job. I know it drives him to be a better physician. I also know that as a couple, we are making a huge difference in people's lives at some very trying times in their lives. There is no way he could do his job without me - I really believe that. For all the frustration and challenges we have been through and will go through because of DH's occupation, it has been worth it, and I am so glad to say that!
    -Deb
    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Vocation- absolutely.

I was lucky enough to attend a huge high school with lots of electives and discovered sociology and psychology then. I ended up a social work major after jettisoning education and journalism because it wasn't 'enough'. I ended up doing my senior year internship at a senior center working w/ newly deinstitutionalized seniors with intellectual disabilities. That led to the first job working at a homeless shelter for families. That led to a job as a job coach teaching guys with disabilities how to mow lawns. and the rest is history. I would definitely do it all over again.

I've been lucky. I'm one of the few people in the world who figured out what they wanted to do early on and then be able to do it.

Social services isn't easy and the pay blows. We make less than teachers and nurses and have much fewer workplace protections. What makes it worthwhile is when you know that what you've done really has an impact on someone's life. I don't work directly with people anymore, I make sure that the people who do are doing it correctly.

Jenn

Comment

I'm not sure how I would classify my current SAHM position. But up until this point all of my jobs have been just that. I could have seen my first job out of college as a career if it had been mobile, I really did enjoy going to work most days and it definitely had upward mobility options but I wouldn't say it was a vocation.

A vocation is a lot harder to find I think. I love being a SAHM most days but other times I really wish I had a job that was an outlet from my kids. DH would definitely consider his job a vocation and I would totally agree with him, he loves what he does and I agree that I don't know how you'd be a doctor if you saw it as a job, its just to soul sucking.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Re: Job, Career, Vocation?

My current career started out as a simple job, and it turned into a career! But in a strange turn of events i'll be able to do what I've always wanted to do... I'll finally have my "vocation" and just the thought of finally doing what I've always wanted to do excites me. It's coming a little late in life bit still grateful that it's coming, to be able to go to work and do something I love... No matter the salary is a dream come true. I like my current career but attimes it feels like a job, because it's not where I thought I'd be but it's a good place to be ( hope that made some type of sense)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is an interesting but important distinction.

Right now I have a job, and it only barely qualifies as such (the pay is laughable, but thanks to our fabulous economy I can't find anything else). I think I have finally found my career though (photographer), but the risks of becoming self-employed are too great right now with me being our only source of income. I've been building a small photography business on the side for the past year or so, but it's still not quite enough to pursue full time. So I sit and bide my time

I don't think I will ever find my vocation. I am too much of a "grass is always greener on the other side" type of person. I was the girl in college that changed her major like 7 times. Seriously. There are too many things that I am interested, but I've always been that way. As a kid I was into music, sports, art, stamp collecting (no I'm not joking), animals, cars, sewing, knitting.... at some point in my life I have thought that I definitely wanted to be a musician, architect, interior designer, veterinarian, nurse, school administrator, physical therapist, personal trainer, biostatistician, sports statistician, actuary, geneticist... I could go on.

Now DH on the other hand -- being a doctor is his vocation, without a doubt. I think to go into medicine and not be miserable, it has to be your vocation. He's known since high school that he wanted to go into medicine. There's no telling what I thought I wanted to go into when I was in high school... probably park ranger or something ridiculous like that (no offense to any park rangers out there -- I love me some Smokey the Bear).
            Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

It’s difficult for me to classify. I’m a new associate at a law firm, so I’m at the bottom of the totem pole and the work isn’t yet rewarding. I’d say it is a job with career potential. Truthfully, I think I’m far too fickle to have a true vocation. DH says I have a searching spirit – I say I have ADD. Either way, I don’t expect to find that level of satisfaction in a job ... and I'm ok with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bittersweet View Post
                DH says I have a searching spirit – I say I have ADD.
                Ditto!! Well actually, I say I have a searching spirit, DH says I have ADD
                Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Interesting. I used to tell people not to go into law or stay in law unless the loved it. Basically for the same rationale that Deb used to describe her DH's career: I can't imagine going somewhere for so many hours, leaving my family, all just for money. It's too much of a struggle for money. However, -- perhaps its the marriage, or moving, or pregnancy, or the unavailablity of my mentors, or the incredibly tedious things I've had to work on while waiting for the market to improve -- during the last year my vocation morphed into a career and then into a job.

Abigail, what camp do you fall into?
                  Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Mine is definitely a job. I think that's why I've been so unhappy with it for the past five years. That long spending so much time doing something you're in no way invested in can really drain you. I am hoping that when I am a SAHM, it will be more of a vocation. That's been my dream for years, and while I know it will be a lot of hard work, if it is at least rewarding, it will be an improvement over what I've been doing.

I think DH has a career, but it may become a vocation someday. I can tell he loves what he does, and he comes home happy about his day (even if he was there for over 12 hours), but since he's still in residency I don't think he's got enough stake in it yet. When he is working with a group after residency and feels more of a sense of ownership, it may become closer to a vocation.
                    Laurie
                    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Without a doubt a vocation. It started as a career as a nurse, then I went back to school, and I am an Adult Nurse Practitioner. I absolutely love it. Adult primary care is extremely rewarding and frustrating!!!!
                      Luanne
                      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

A vocation takes you to the cross. It is a sacrifice of self. A complete gift and emptying of self. You "give up" yourself so that, like Christ, others can live through your sacrifice. It's the only way it works, and it's the most radical message ever delivered to mankind. This is quite literally marriage and parenthood in my life. Our human nature rebels against this. Giving up ourselves is *not* easy, sacrifice is not fun and we tend to shut our eyes and run from or shake our fist at it. Only Grace can overcome our nature, bringing peace and joy to the drudgery of daily sacrifice so that it may bear immense fruit.

Careers can also be vocations, and they should also take you to the cross, however, it should be more of a self emptying of gifts, talents and fruits for the vocation that you have been called to. It shouldn't sacrifice your spouse and children which is a constant struggle for most of us on this site due to the invasive nature of our medical system and the hero complexes some of our spouses nuture. Pride, anyone? Again, Grace and the degree of our acceptance of it (free will), will properly order our lives and careers. More grace = more order, more fruitful lives and people.

Abigail, I think you are called to work for justice. Gird yourself and get out there, but always keep your vocations properly ordered.
                        Last edited by Ladybug; 09-08-2009, 05:32 AM.
                        -Ladybug

Comment

Hmm. I have a career. I enjoy lawyering. My particular areas of practice are especially intellectually rewarding for me, and I like that I feel that I'm contributing something of value to the fabric of society. That said, I don't think it's my vocation. I'm still searching for that utlimate way to make the most of everything I have to give.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                            Abigail, what camp do you fall into?
                            I don't know. I've never had the luxury of thinking about it before, honestly. I've always worked, because if I didn't, I/we didn't eat or have shelter. Label it a job, a career, a prison, or fulfillment--whatever--I called it survival. I always took the best paying job I could do, given my life demands. Now, with DH finishing residency and fellowship in the next couple of years, I have the opportunity--for the first time in my life--to think about the direction of my life.

I think my vocation is being a mom. I am more passionate about that than anything else. Sometimes I find myself wishing I could be as a good a mom as I am a law clerk, though. I don't think I'm one of those women who is naturally gifted at being a mom. I have to work hard at being a good mom. Funny, how one's vocation is not necessarily the calling that is the most natural fit. It is a lot easier to draft orders and be snarky with attorneys.

Comment

Right now I have a job that could be a career for some - corporate knowledge management assistant at a law firm. I like it, and the pay and benefits are great, but it's not forever for me.

I've trained for one type of career (producer/general manager in the theatre industry) and am just about done training for another type of career (buyer/planner in the fashion industry) - both situations in which I feel I bring skills to the table that most who enter those industries don't bring (meaning I'm a math nerd). I love theatre and fashion, but I'm not passionate about either, so now I'm moving on again, taking a different approach.

Once we find out where DH matches, I'm going to apply for law school. I am passionate about law and have finally reached the point in my life when I'm ready to admit that, but I don't expect I will want to practice all that long after graduating. Like neiner, I love lots of things - I'd rather be a jack of all trades than a master of one. My plan right now is to go to law school, practice at a firm for a few years (both of which I know will require incredible dedication and I'm finally ready for that) and then, if I can, switch to something with a better work/life balance. I think I'd like to do recruiting and/or client development for a firm. I really like marketing, but I love working for a law firm. That, I feel, might be my vocation. We'll see, I guess! I do have a lot of fun letting my life take me where it will...
                              Back in the Midwest with my PGY-2 ortho DH and putting my fashion degree to good use.

Comment

Working...
                              X