Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Do you do your own taxes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you do your own taxes?

DH has always done our taxes himself every year but I this year he wants to throw in the books and have someone else do it. We bought our first home and will have to itemize. I was wondering if anyone else goes to H&R Block or someone else. I called one place and they said the charge was about $100. 8O The good thing about being poor is we actually do get money back but still, $100! Who do you have do your taxes or do you use software?

I have an accountant do mine, (I file separatly from my husband), and I pay about $125.
    Luanne
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

http://www.turbotax.com

Saves my time, money and hassle every year. As a matter of fact, our tax refund was deposited in the account today!

Jenn

PS- I use turbotax for the web. It's utterly brainless- you just answer the questions, and put in the information when it tells you to! It even does my calculations for the income I get from the condo I own!

Comment

I have always done our taxes, either the old fashion way as a resident or with tax software. I trust noone but myself. The one year DH was being difficult and wanted to file his seperately. He ended up owing $10,000. Needless to say I have been doing them ever since and we will be getting back around$5K. The programs will help you find deductions that an accountant swarmed at tax time might not.

Trisha

Comment

We pay $175, but honestly, I think the money is well worth it. My husband works on the other side of the state line, so we have to file for both states, and then with my business out of the home, it gets pretty complicated. I just like filling out my little worksheet, sending it to the accountant, and then letting her deal with it! Also, I call her throughout the year for advice which she doesn't charge me for so I think I'm getting my money's worth. If our taxes were simple (without the business and work situation) I'd probably do turbo tax--it basically walks you through the process.
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I'm doing ours for the last time this year--I've always done my own, and this year is the first (and last) of doing ours as a married couple. Next year we'll have income from two different states and all the partnership stuff for DH's practice, which is out of my depth, so I'll happily hand it off to the accountant. I kind of like doing it, and the little adrenaline rushes when I think I've made a mistake...

Comment

I've always done ours and each year I swear that this is the last year that I will do it. The following year I look for an accountant, see their charges, and start doing my own taxes again. A million years ago I graduated with a B.S. in accounting, which gives me enough information to be dangerous and out of date. I realize that stupidity is not a defense, but I've got all my eggs in that basket.

Kelly
              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

We use TurboTax. We have one friend who is an accountant that does strictly taxes, and she has given us free advice and has offered to look our return over for free.

When we lived in Denver I worked next to an accountant (Susan), and she would give me free advice. She suggested that when Matt gets done with traning and is making money that that would be a good time to have an accountant do our taxes for us, because at that point we will have a house, etc. (we will have to itemize). The one thing that she stressed was that do not go to a place like HR Block- when she was getting her BS in accounting (she has her MS in Finance and Accounting now), she interned at HR Block doing people's tax returns. Susan said the problem with HR Block is the staff can be inexperienced with the tax code and laws, and she just plain would not recommend them. Susan highly suggested paying the money (which you can claim as tax deductible) [~$150, depending on your area] for an accountant who strictly deals with doing taxes.

HTH,
                Crystal
                Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

We always do TurboTax. In fact, my husband and I just finished filing a few minutes ago. It took us about 20 minutes from start to finish!
                  Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                  With fingernails that shine like justice
                  And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

we have ours done but I think I could probably do it. (maybe). Anyway, I heard/read (?) some good advice re: taxes the other day. If you use an accountant, have them do your taxes this year *and* do it yourself using turbotax or something like that for a trial run. Next year, do it yourself and use last year's return as a reference. Or something like that -- you get the idea. My memory is failing me today.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's input. I ended up springing the $100 to the CPA to do both our Federal and State income tax. We're getting $1800 back Yeah!

Comment

And next year you can deduct the $100.
                        Luanne
                        Luanne
                        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                        X