Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How does fellowship compare to residency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does fellowship compare to residency?

I'm sorry for another question!

I have a friend who's husband is in an Ob/Urology fellowship and it's pretty much cake compared to his residency. My husband is going into Trauma/Critical Care though so I'm not sure what to expect. I realize it really can't get any worse than it currently seems though! Being one of the Chief General Surgery residents at a very busy urban hospital is very time consuming to put it lightly!

fellowship sucked beyond all human comprehension. Fellowship. just the name is a joke. but maybe other people here are better able to speak objectively about the process. for us it was 3 years of extreme suckitude. Honestly, I can find nothing positive to say about any part of the three years we spent "in fellowship" and this was three years living in my hometown with my parents, sibling and various friends no more than 45 minutes away.

Somewhere I defined fellowship and it was perfect. It was an old post, hopefully someone saved it.

otherwise. I'm sorry.

Jenn

Comment

I think it is worse, partly because we expect it to be better!
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I guess my answer (as with all things in medicine) is, "it depends".

My DH is doing a research fellowship with a urology clinical component, and it's been much better than residency ever was (with the exception of his sweet lab year!). Good hours, no call, less stress.
        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

It totally depends on so many factors.

Ours sucked because fellowship is not residency so it does not have to follow the 80 hour rule.
          Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

It just depends. DH's fellowship was horrifying. Truly inhumane. Even when we were down to one month left, I was begging him to quit. My SIL had a one year body imaging fellowship that was pretty much a vacation. The time off she had alone was BOGGLING to me.
            Rebecca, wife to handsome gyn-onc, and mom 4 awesome kiddos: 8,6,4, and 2.

Comment

Sounds like a fun time! Oh well, at least it's only two years. He doesn't necessarily only work 80 hours now so I was hoping it would be closer to 80 - even if they don't have any specific rules to follow.

Do you think being in a smaller town would make a difference? From what I gather his #1 rank list pick is a much more familly friendly place to work than where he currently is. The hospital he currently works out is pretty hectic in a not so good neighborhood of Philly and me and the kids have never been there other than to pass by it twice for functions up that way. He also said that they told him (who knows if it really happens) that he would have two weekends off a month. Since he hadn't had a day off in several months where we are now, that sounds amazing! This uncertainty is going to drive me mad.

Comment

Fellowship was better for us because the director was better. In terms of hours worked, money, etc. nothing really changed. However, the fact that unlike DH's PD during residency, his PD never allowed any of his fellows to be thrown under the bus, ran a very organized program - DH always knew what was expected of him (unlike the PD before who preferred to have his mind read and would bite your head off when you did not do what he never actually verbalized for you to do), his faculty also encouraged him to take time for research and supported him with presentations (unlike former PD who took credit for academic work he had nothing to do with). So DH worked about just as hard if not harder but did not have to deal with the unnecessary BS....which made our lives 100% better.
                Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Like Jane said, "it depends". Our fellowship is WORLDS better than residency, but every fellowship is different and even every program within the same fellowship is different. The whole training road is kind of a crap shoot. I also wouldn't necessarily believe anything that is advertised as "family friendly". Best of luck to you!
                  Tara
                  Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

The hours are worse than residency! And then there's Q2 home call all year long (and dh DOES get called in). The pay is better, because dh has days where he works as an attending, but I definitely see him less than last year (his final year of residency).
                    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Oh no. And here I was thinking 1 1/2 years left then an easy fellowship in IR. Didn't realize the 80hour rule didn't apply. Well - more of a reason to become a SAHM by then.

Comment

The fellowships in DH's hospital are actually more low-key than the residency program. More time off, better pay, and more flexibility.

Comment

It depends on the subspecialty and hospital. We know of a foot orthopod who basically went on a super light schedule for a year.

However, I strongly recommend avoiding peds surgery, transplant, and CT surgical fellowships. I've heard they can be rough (even rougher than GS residency.) I'm not sure about critical care, but I wish you the best.

Kelly
                          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

We're still in residency so I cannot say from experience but DH is headed towards Critical Care and has heard that the some fellowships can be brutal, others are ok, it sepends on where you go. Then again, you're coming from Surgery which is probably one of the most difficult residencies so it may be easier.

I'll send you a PM.
                            Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                            Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Thanks Mrs C! I just responded to you!

Comment

Working...
                              X