Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

You were right...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You were right...

Newbie here learning her lesson. So I don't remember when it was, but there was some thread in which some of you were talking about how you have to pay the bills because our wonderful Docs have neither the time nor memory to pay them on time. I thought to myself. J has been doing this for years by himself. He doesn't have that problem at all. I WAS WRONG! Today the cable stops working. I call to find out, the bill wasn't paid. I call J, he says, oh he finally got around to transferring the money last night and its probably still going through. Who knows how much in late fees thats costing. When I got home tonight the cable was back on. but yeah... So three months after moving in with him, I am now in charge of the bills. Did I say you were right?
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

UGH sorry to hear that happened. DH still pays the bills around here. I guess we will see how long that lasts.

Comment

General Surgery really drains their minds when it comes to normal non-medical stuff. Dh still has trouble sorting out the recyclables. I mean, is it really that hard to put plastic and glass in one bin and metals in another? I know he is thinking about work since it never freaking ends but common!

I keep our finances but did before medical training put the kiabosh on his ability to manage anything non-general surgery related.
      Last edited by ides; 09-30-2009, 06:40 PM. Reason: grammer
      Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

I won't even tell you how bad our credit is based on late payments. When I finally sat DH down he said "what does it matter if I miss a couple of payments, when I do make a payment, I make it for several months. He actually thought it was OK to pay several car payments at once , then skip three, then make a couple of more. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. Out mortgage payment is due on the 1st, and there is a late fee after the 16th, so he pays it on the 15th every month, and thinks that is OK. I'm in charge of the life insurance premium payments!!!!!!
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Ohhh I will most definitely be in charge of the bills once we are living together. Right now he is living in an apartment with his sister... guarantee it will be me!
          He would lose his head if it weren't screwed onto his body some days

Comment

Hence my credit score is better than his.

Comment

DH still does everything, but in the last year I started writing down all the bills on my planner, and having everything sent to my email. I have caught him forgetting a few times. So I am just the backup quarterback, waiting for my time.. LOL Every month though I seem to be taking over.
              Brandi
              Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

DH still does all of our bills without problem. Laundry is another story - I think DH's whites have been in the dryer for over a week.

Comment

We met with a financial planner last week to go over some basic stuff since DH will be starting his attending job (!!) soon. I had to explain to the guy how our money management system works: DH's paycheck gets deposited into our checking account, I pay all the bills, and when DH needs money for coffee or lunch or something ... he comes and asks me for it. I think DH was a bit embarassed...
                  ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                  -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Yep.

Part of the reason why I took over is that I didn't want his craptastic billpaying to ruin my credit.

Jenn

Comment

I'm actually very impressed that DF has his bills paid on time every month...not impressed that he was too lazy/scared to get a credit card (to make rent payments on and then pay it right off) so we'd actually have some credit when we get married...I need to figure out how that works.
                      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by migirl View Post
                        We met with a financial planner last week to go over some basic stuff since DH will be starting his attending job (!!) soon. I had to explain to the guy how our money management system works: DH's paycheck gets deposited into our checking account, I pay all the bills, and when DH needs money for coffee or lunch or something ... he comes and asks me for it. I think DH was a bit embarassed...
                        Works for us! DH has no clue about ANYTHING having to do with our finances. I do everything, I don't think he even knows where we bank.
                        Rebecca, wife to handsome gyn-onc, and mom 4 awesome kiddos: 8,6,4, and 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Malpka View Post
                          Works for us! DH has no clue about ANYTHING having to do with our finances. I do everything, I don't think he even knows where we bank.
                          I know DH has no clue where we bank. He called me asking for our account number to deposit some money, turns out he was having a 15 dispute with the teller, about how we bank at their bank. He was at the wrong one.... So he now leaves me a deposit slip and I take care of it. Going through medical school was a breeze compared to his banking skills.
                          Last edited by bokelley; 09-30-2009, 08:28 PM.
                          Brandi
                          Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by bokelley View Post
                            I know DH has no clue where we bank. He called me asking for our account number to deposit some money, turns out he was having a 15 dispute with the teller, about how we bank at their bank. He was at the wrong one.... So he know leaves me a deposit slip and I take care of it. Going through medical school was a breeze compared to his banking skills.

-L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                            Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                            Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I have a feeling DH will be getting an allowance when we're done with training - he won't like it but he really has no idea how much money we spend monthly and on what. If we don't reign it in there won't be any money for vacations, etc. when we're done.
                              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Working...
                              X