Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Save DH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save DH

I had years worth of pictures on our old Apple computer. About a year ago, I asked DH to back them up on to the external hardrive...which he says he did. Fast foward, I cannot find the pictures on aperture or Iphoto....becauuuuuse - are you ready for this?? - they are only thumbnails.

This is what I can understand so far. DH saved the thumbnails but not the JPegs. Then, supposedly deleted the Jpegs from the computer. I found this out when we recently got our MacBook pro and I wanted to transfer the pictures.

Our other Apple computer is old (about 5 yrs) - it is out of Applecare warranty...and all this happened before Time Machine was around. I was wondering if it was worth it to take it to the Genius Bar to have one of the Geniuses try to retrieve my pictures. I am sure it will be pretty pricey. Or are they (the pictures) gone forever??

I want to strangle DH!! I am so upset that I do not even want to talk to him about it.
    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Sorry, no help here, just wants to send my condolences. I would be LIVID. I hope you can get your pictures back.
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I'm no computer wiz by any means, however I believe that deleted items can sometimes be recovered if the space they used to occupy on the hard drive has not been filled since. There are recovery programs available that can find and unerase such files if I remember correctly.

Comment

It certainly can't hurt to take it to Genius Bar to see what they say. They'll assess it, at least, without charging you anything.

Sorry about the pictures, by the way. That's a great fear of mine.
        Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

This might be worth a read in case you've got OSX on it (otherwise there will be similar instructions for other operative systems):
          http://www.squidoo.com/recovertrashmac

Comment

Thanks! The printer is printing the necessary info as I type. We will see - although - at this point I do not feel too confident messing with the computer. I almost want to just lay it at the feet of the Apple gods...the Geniuses. I just did not want to go through the trouble if some of you already knew what the outcome may be.

Comment

I didn't know you could just save the thumbnails--hmmm. I say try the Genius Bar too. Is there any possibility he could have saved the entire iphoto library and you have to open that first to get the Jpegs?
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Good luck I hope you get find them...

I don't even know what I would do to DH if this happened....

I give you props that you haven't killed him already!
                Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

The genius bar people should be able to use the grab program and save them.

Jenn

Comment

I would be beside myself! When I lost my external drive data recently, I think I went through an actual depression over it! If you can't recover the files is it possible to use the thumbnails to somehow make....negatives that can be enlarged? I'm just throwing it out there....I will hope against hope for you that you can recover everything!!!!!!!

eeek!

Kris
                    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

We all get addicted on the paperless computer, only to find that it is not perfect either. We have so many pictures on our hard drive that I fear what would happen if we lost it.

Comment

I'm so sorry - I hope someone is able to help. My sister had her laptop stolen recently when she was traveling in a foreign country, all of her pictures GONE.

But even before that happened I started backing mine up to DVD and putting them in the safe deposit box, pictures are priceless IMO and I would be devastated if I lost mine.
                        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                          pictures are priceless IMO and I would be devastated if I lost mine.
                          I totally agree. I guess I will pack up the computer and take it to the geniuses. Hopefully it will not cost an arm and a leg...if it does, DH will be the dawkter missing an arm and a leg.

I am upset...it was my biggest fear...I was so reluctant to go digital because of this. DH feels really bad because he knows how important pictures are to me. This is the ONLY reason he is still breathing. At least I have the images (thumbnails) - they are just tiny and you can't print them out.

Comment

Originally posted by medpedspouse View Post
                            I totally agree. I guess I will pack up the computer and take it to the geniuses. Hopefully it will not cost an arm and a leg...if it does, DH will be the dawkter missing an arm and a leg.

I am upset...it was my biggest fear...I was so reluctant to go digital because of this. DH feels really bad because he knows how important pictures are to me. This is the ONLY reason he is still breathing. At least I have the images (thumbnails) - they are just tiny and you can't print them out.
                            Let us know how it goes - hopefully they will be able fix DHs big boo boo!
                            Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                              But even before that happened I started backing mine up to DVD and putting them in the safe deposit box, pictures are priceless IMO and I would be devastated if I lost mine.
                              We put ours on one of those tiny little memory cards and keep it in our fire safe box. Every photo of my kids is digital. I would be crushed if they were gone.

Good luck! I pray they are able to recover your photos.

Comment

Working...
                              X