Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

When did....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did....

celebrities start commanding such a voice in politics? On my way to work this morning Clint Black's song "Iraq and I roll" came on the radio. I was sort of disgusted because I want to be entertained when I turn on a music channel. Seriously, how do any of this celebrities-come-political-pundits think that we the public gives a hoot about their point of view. I feel this way even about celebrities who hold similar points of view. If I wanted to hear intelligent conversation on world events I'd turn to a news source or NPR, not Barbara Streisand's website or Charleton Heston's soundbytes. Puhleeze. Am I out in left field on this or do you all think that this is an appropriate outreach to the public?

I guess that this qualifies for my "ROTD" (Rant of The Day)

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

I TOTALLY agree. I suppose celebrities are as entitled to their opinions as the rest of us, but I wish they would keep them to themselves and just look pretty, act(?), sing, or whatever it is they are famous for. The thing that really gripes me is when celebrities testify before Congress about an issue they are championing. The issues are always valid, but having a celebrity testify just seems so shallow and trite.

And the number one offender (in my opinion) is Barbra Streisand. She makes my blood boil. I know it is no surprise that I agree with her on virtually nothing, but even if we were totally in sync, she would still drive me nuts.

Good rant!

Sally
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Totally with you on this one. I guess they think they're doing us a favor.
      It even bugs me when Michael J Fox or Christopher Reeve go lobbying for their diseases. Should Parkinsons or Spinal Cord Regeneration get more money because Alex Keaton or Superman got it? What about Rickets?

grrrr
      Enabler of DW and 5 kids
      Let's go Mets!

Comment

Man, I totally agree! They are allowed to have opinions but I hate it when they somehow become "experts" like they know foreign policy or something. And you guys are right, Barbra Streisand is soooooo annoying. And I'd like to know why she keeps having these "final" performances every year. If they're final, they shouldn't be happening annually!

Comment

I'm with all of you. It get's on my last nerve.
          Luanne
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I totally agree with you on the politics issue. I find I get particularly irritated with those going to foreign countries bashing the U.S. in the public arena.

However, I have a different view of the celebrities who use their stardom to try to find a cure for a disease, especially if they have it themselves. My basketball coach had MS and he was the president of the Oregon MS chapter and he said he couldn't get anywhere with legislation ... he couldn't even get federal buildings to put in wheelchair access (this was a good 20 years ago) until Annette Funicello went public with her MS. He said things went much smoother when someone relatively famous came forward with the disease. So even though the celebrities are obviously trying to help themselves by calling attention to a disease, it also helps many others and I think make us more aware of what the disease is all about. I have learned a lot about Parkinsonism from Michael J. Fox.

Robin

Comment

I agree with Robin. There are some very deserving causes and terrible diseases that don't attract any attention until a celebrity gets behind them, and the visibility can really make a difference. This may not be strictly kosher, but it's how our society works, like it or not. I've been educated about a lot of things that celebrities have endorsed, and I think it's the job of any person of means, celebrity or not, to lend support to good causes and try to make the world a better place.

But as to politics? Sorry, Barbra, et. al--unless you plan to run for office yourselves, your opinions (and your votes) have no more weight than mine does. So shut your traps, please.

Comment

There is actually a web site that is taking signatures for a petition to get actors to quiet down. It is called Citizens Against Celebrity Pundits. I learned about it on the Fox News web site. Now instead of getting mad we can all sign a petition. I know what you all mean. These celebrities make my blood boil with their views. I was especially upset to hear that the Dixie Chicks recently were saying anti George Bush comments at a concert. I understand free speech, but they have actually had their songs pulled by many stations now as a result of their statement.

Comment

I thought it was ironic that the Dixie Chicks were on the front page of our paper this morning (probably because we are in Texas!) after this thread was started. I hope it makes other celebrities stop and think what they are saying ... especially in foreign countries.

Robin

Comment

I agree that celebrities yawing on about their opinion in a public forum is kind of ridiculous, I am completely outraged that they and all of the other protesters are being labelled as "unamerican". The fact that they can appear on TV and spout off about anything is why it IS absolutely American.

I thought it was #1) Stunningly bad form to make the Dixie Chicks story front page in the San Antonio Express-News (umm, aren't there more important issues than one singer expressing her opinions). It just feeds in to the celebrities having more important opinoins than the rest of us.

#2) I think it's bad form to remove their music from radio- we are all entitled to our opinions and to 'punish' someone for expressing them is patently against the concept of "Freedom of Speech".

#3) Changing the name of French Fries to "Freedom Fries" and boycotting French products is just plain silly. Besides, French Fries are Belgian in origin and MOST of the grapes grown in the US are from French stock in the first place. Duh.

I do think that celebrities who expose illness or disease issues to the general public are in kind of a different place. Nancy Reagan has done quite a bit for Alzheimer's Disease, as has Rita Hayworth's daughter. As a person with Alzheimer's running rampent through my family, I'm certainly hoping that the additional exposure and the additional funding that comes with it will help fight this disease. Selfish- absolutely.

So, my two cents on a sunny Sunday afternoon and now- I'm going outside to play!

Jenn

Comment

I can understand the psychology behind it: If I were someone rich, powerful, and with media hanging on my every word I would probably be quick to say publicly the way I would have the world run. That is what these "celebrities" are doing and I don't think they are wrong for doing it. I DO think they do it in some amazingly hypocritical and horribly unproductive ways. I personally don't care what some singer or actor/actress in their ivory tower of seclusion from us "commoners" has to say on important subjects. These people have every right to their opinions. They have every right to shout their opinions from the nearest television show. However, I have the right not to listen. These people got their fame, money, and power NOT by their knowledge or understanding of economy, foreign diplomacy, modern social issues, etc. So, I'll listen to them when they talk about what they are authorities on: their music or acting. For any other subject celebrities spout off about I turn a deaf ear....
                      Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                      With fingernails that shine like justice
                      And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Great thread....

I really have a beef with the pro-environmental celebritie pundits who live in enormous houses, ride around in limosines, have closets full of leather shoes and fur coats and then have the temerity to tell us all that we should contribute to their environmental causes.

uh, I don't think so. When they start taking public transportation, sharing their wealthwith the Amazon tribes to ensure economic growth without rainforest destruction, and generally downsize their life to reasonable proportions, perhaps I may listen. Until then, they need to shut up.

Kelly
                        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Well perhaps I'm going to be a little hypocritical here -
                          When celebrities mouth off about environmental causes they bring attention to them, which is generally good - seeing Jerry Garcia and Bob Weir go to congress and have lunch with Republican senators to push rainforest protection brought lots of attention to that cause, and lots of $$$ to environmental nonprofits.
                          I guess my beef with pushing specific diseases is that money which might go to study other illnesses afflicting less fortunate souls will now go to the celebrity disease.
                          Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                          Let's go Mets!

Comment

I see your point, fluffhead, and agree with you that it does create an inequity in funding (both private and federal) of research for illnesses/conditions.
                            Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                            With fingernails that shine like justice
                            And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I see your point too. I guess it doesn't bother me as much because I figure that diseases aren't particular about who gets it and that eventually more diseases will be "promoted". Of course, I don't know about any celebrities getting rickets .... hmm....

Robin

Comment

Working...
                              X