Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

unmatch day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unmatch day

Hello,

This is my first time posting to this site, although I have enjoyed browsing and learning more about all of your experiences.

My husband, Will, is a fourth year medical student at the University of Louisville, in Kentucky.

I don't know if there is anyone else out there whose spouse is going through the match this year, but today we find out whether we matched to any program or not.

For us, this is the day of truth. After much consideration, we decided that Will would rank only one residency program--Anesthesiology at the University of Louisville.

I know you are probably thinking right now that we were CRAZY for doing such a thing, and right now I am thinking the same thing. But, let me explain.

First, I am liscensed to practice law here in Kentucky, and after I complete a one year clerkship with a federal judge, I have accepted an offer with a law firm. I love the firm, and specifically the department I will be working with, Labor and Employment. We got the feeling that the program here at Louisville is good and getting better, but has always had plenty of spots, especially for people who are very interested in staying in Louisville. Therefore, we decided that it would be best for both of our careers to stay here in Louisville. Plus, we are less than one hour from both sets of parents.

Second, we just bought a house here in Louisville. Before we bought the house, Will talked to the powers that be, and got the most positive assurances that could have been given. Also, if he does not match this year, he has been assured that he can scramble into either a medicine or surgery spot for a year, and then switch over. We didn't want to go to any of the other programs he applied to, and so we felt that ranking only one program gave us more control.

However, this means that today is the day we find out . We haven't been nervous, until NOW.

The school should get the information sometime this morning, and if there is bad news, Will gets paged. The results should be up on the website by Noon. So for now I am waiting.

Tick, Tick, Tick.

Emily

Wow, Emily --

Such a big day for you two! Nice to meet you, by the way! Please let us know how it turns out, and I hope to see you post more often as you start the next phase of this "adventure"!

Sally
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Emily --
      I understand! I have become rather, um, OCD about checking my husband's email today -- even though we won't know until 12 EST. I guess I'm hoping that NRMP will be ahead of schedule or something.
      Good luck to you!
      Nellie

Comment

All the best to you, too, Nellie -- keep us posted!

Sally
        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Nellie,

Our plan was just to wait, and hope he doesn't get a page from the school. Will the NRMP send an email either way? I know the results should be up on their website at 12EST, but where will they be?

Emily

Comment

Well, we matched. Willl got an email from the NRMP right before 12EST that said he matched. So, Will is going to be doing Anesthesia here at the University of Louisville.

Nellie, did you and your husband hear anything yet? What is he applying to, and where? Good luck to you, too!

Emily

Comment

Hi,
              Thanks for the kind wishes and sorry I didn't respond sooner.
              WE MATCHED!!!!!!
              (just won't know where until Thursday).
              Yeah!

Yeah for you too Emily -- the risk payed off!

Comment

Yay! Congrats to you both!
                Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Wow, congratulations!!! I know you must have been very nervous, but it is all over now!!!
                  Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Best of luck everyone...my heart goes out to you.

Kelly
                    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
                    X