Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

With everything that is going around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With everything that is going around

I thought I would perhaps start a thread for people's recommendations on things to stay well or recovery quickly....

I had managed to stay illness free the last two/three weeks when my entire office seemed to have a whole plethora of colds/flus until Friday... now I don't know what I have (headache, dizziness, tiredness) but it doesn't seem to be improving....

I have to go to the pharmacy to pick up my prescriptions... anyone have any recommendations on things to buy? (There are so many things out there and I am such a sucker I can't tell the difference between what works and what is placebo). What works for you? Anything worth trying? (I'm talking medicines/teas/herbs/supplements etc.)
    Loving wife of neurosurgeon

For viruses, you're just treating symptoms, so just do whatever makes you feel better. Depending on my symptoms, I use a combination of decongestants, pain relievers, antihistimines, cough drops, cough syrups, etc., etc. Try not to take too much of the same ingredient/family of ingredients (ie never take more than one med at once without checking that they don't both have decongestants, the same pain reliever, etc.) What we keep on hand for colds/flu/alergies:

menthol cough drops
    ludens wild cherry drops
    vitamin c cough drops
    dimeatapp syrup
    nyquil gelcaps with real sudafed
    dayquil gelcaps with real sudafed
    benedryl
    claratin
    mucinex
    regular (real) sudafed
    vicks vaporub/vapocream/inhaler/vaporstrips/vaposteam (for humidifier)
    nasal spray
    various painrelievers
    emergen-c drink mix

Obviously, I believe in being prepared and not having to go out to the store while sick, and in treating symptoms aggressively so I'm not quite as miserable when I'm sick.

I think it was mentioned in another thread, if my throat is *really* sore, I'll gargle warm salt water and/or drink hot lemonade; that seems to help a lot.

Sorry you're feeling icky; I hope you get better soon!
    Sandy
    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Well, when I was struck down by the flu in January, I was so sick that I actually tried my grandmother's cure of equal parts bourbon, honey and lemon juice. (warmed a bit)

Nasty but it helped. or at least it knocked me out enough that I didn't really care that I felt like crap.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
        Well, when I was struck down by the flu in January, I was so sick that I actually tried my grandmother's cure of equal parts bourbon, honey and lemon juice. (warmed a bit)

Nasty but it helped. or at least it knocked me out enough that I didn't really care that I felt like crap.

Jenn
        Isn't that what they call a "hot toddy"(at least that is what my grandmother used to call it)? I agree with Jenn, the primary purpose is to knock you out, secondary is to soothe the throat a bit.

I hope you feel better soon.
        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Those are the exact same symptoms that I had. I never got the whole flu like thing, but the tiredness and neck pain was horrible.
          Brandi
          Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

When I'm not pregnant - acetaminophen, ibuprofen, fluids, and rest. There really isn't much to do. Just be careful with the supplements - some contain vitamins, etc that are in amounts that can be toxic (remember, supplements aren't regulated). And, I whine a lot. Don't know if it helps, but DH does it, and he's a dawkter - must be worth something!
            -Deb
            Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Cold medicines don't work for me. Seriously, it's like taking sugar pills. Remember the gold old days when PPA was on the market? That drug actually worked for me.

I am on day 8 of being sick. It sucks. I hope it goes away soooooooon.
              Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

My Dad (a Pharmacist) used to dissolve peppermint in bourbon for us!!!! No wonder all of my siblings and I like our vino!
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

My great-grandmother used to make us something similar for coughs with orange juice instead of the bourbon. I always thought it helped.

I've been taking Vitamin C like crazy, but that's about it
                  Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I don't like to take things - I think they make me feel worse, so I drink LOTS and LOTS of water.
                    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I'm with Deebs - acetaminophen *and* ibuprofen, alternating every few hours, fluids and rest. LOTS of rest.

JENN! I wish you had posted your grandma's cure-all a few weeks ago. I bet that would have worked wonders before bed. I relied on vicodin.

Sorry to anyone who has the flu - it so completely sucks.

Comment

I'm on day 10 of a horrible cold. Sudafed 24 hour extended release tablets have allowed me to work since I can't take time off. With Sudafed, make sure they have Pseudoephedrine in them.

Halls Plus are great because they have more menthol than the usual Halls.

And last but no least, hot whiskey.

- Measure of whiskey (preferably Irish )
                        - Lemon slice
                        - 2+ teaspoons of sugar (superfine suger melts quicker)
                        - 3 cloves

Pour the whiskey into a mug or strong glass. Add very hot water and sugar to taste. Add cloves and lemon slice or a squirt of lemon juice.
                        It's hot and strong and will certainly help you sleep. It's said to help you "sweat it out". Take before bedtime.
                        Last edited by MrsC; 10-26-2009, 10:08 AM.
                        Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                        Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Oh, Mrs. C, I'm all about the clove addition.

Yum.

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
                            Oh, Mrs. C, I'm all about the clove addition.

Yum.
                            My MIL swore by this too!

S is sick, sent home from the hospital too (it sounds funny saying that because that's usually where the sick people go!). I hope he can kick it soon... I am there in 5 days!

Comment

I will third? forth? the hot whiskey/bourbon/brandy with something sweet in it. I remember having a throat so sore once that this was my only remedy - tylenol/advil did nothing. Needless to say, I had to call in sick to work.
                              Kris

Comment

Working...
                              X