Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Need some suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some suggestions

Last edited by weeniegeniewife; 09-23-2010, 11:09 AM.
    Married to a peds surgeon attending

If you want to go the giftcard route, you could do one of the cards for a whole shopping area that can work at any store or restaurant. I find the gift basket route harder because some people don't drink, don't like chocolate (who are these people? , etc. If you have a good sense of their taste, though, I think that would be a nice treat to find on a desk. Or maybe both? A smaller gift basket and a gift card for a restaurant?

Comment

Last edited by weeniegeniewife; 09-23-2010, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Just the recognition would be enough for me. From what you post, I bet that they love working for your DH and are not expecting a thing. So, a written card with flowers, gift card, etc. will go a loooong way. I know that I am not much help in assisting you with what to purchase but 100% sure that anything will be more than what they expected.
        Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

You're so sweet - what a thoughtful idea! I like the idea of gift baskets and a personal thank-you note. I don't know about most people, but I have way too many candles, bubble bath bottles, and lotions, though. A "night in" theme could be fun for the baskets - Blockbuster gift certificate, microwave popcorn, and candy. Or a "pamper yourself" basket if they're all female - pedicure gift certificate, nail polish, nail clippers, and pumice stone.

ETA - I agree with this!
          Originally posted by medpedspouse
          100% sure that anything will be more than what they expected.
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by shrinkjamie View Post
            One of my FB friends suggested a Tiffany pen, or something similar. Would that be nice?
            I think so. I love to get things that are nice but that I would never spend the $ to buy myself. If I was needing a nice pen, I would not think of going to Tiffany - so this will be very unusual and something that they can keep and remind them of your gratitude....plus it is kind of like a girly thing that all of you can share.
            Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

If it were me, a genuine thank you note and maybe fresh flowers on my desk would be enough.

Jenn

Comment

I get gifts from students sometimes - the ones that are still sitting unopened on my desk are generally things like pen/pencil sets and such. I lose pens frequently, so the last thing I want is an expensive pen.
                Gift cards are great, as are gloves/umbrellas, or of course, chocolate.
                And one can never have too many picture frames.
                (a case of formula would always be a welcome gift, but that's not for everybody)
                Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                Let's go Mets!

Comment

I think a gift basket is a great idea. Since there are only a few of them, I would ask your DH for a few specific tastes that each likes and include just a few personalized items. Not going overboard, but do a general gift basket - but if person A loves chocolate, throwing in a few chocolate truffles from Godiva or something. Most important would be the personalized thank you note - that would mean the most to me.

Another thought - something nice for their desk, a beautiful paperweight is another idea. Perhaps in different colors.

Good luck, I'll keep brainstorming. And again - congrats to your DH!
                  Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I'm an admin who followed my former boss (but then came back after 8 months because, though I adored my boss, I hated the new place she moved, a global bank as opposed to a law firm).

I agree that anything will be appreciated, but let me say, I love love love when the spouses of those I assist know my name and make brief small talk when they call. I assisted one guy whose wife always asked for voicemail immediately. So, the fact that you're thinking of them is very sweet and I imagine will be highly appreciated.

That said... I'm going to say no on the gift baskets. Don't get me wrong, anything is generous, but I've found gift baskets to often go to waste. I'm still using the footcream that I received for Christmas 2006 from one attorney, and I had to throw out so much fruit from another from that same year when it went bad.

I love chocolate, but even that sometimes goes to waste if there's too much of it.

If you're looking in the $50-$100 range per person, gift cards would be great. My office is near Bloomingdales, so it's common to receive gift cards there. The junior members on the team I assisted at the bank pitched in on a gift card for Bliss spa which was awesome (I took a friend for chocolate pedicures, yum).
                    If you're thinking more in the $25 range, maybe movie theater gift card.

Flowers are nice and I'm sure will be appreciated... I just think they're a waste of money.

No matter what you do, the recognition will really be what brightens their day. How very sweet of you!!
                    Back in the Midwest with my PGY-2 ortho DH and putting my fashion degree to good use.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCHoosier View Post
                      (I took a friend for chocolate pedicures, yum).
                      Help me out here....is this where they put chocolate on your toes? chocolate on somebody elses toes and you get to eat it?
                      I still find this whole world of female pampering very mysterious.
                      (the last thing that I would find relaxing or luxurious is somebody doing things to my nails with sharp objects)
                      Sorry for the hijack.
                      Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                      Let's go Mets!

Comment

Last edited by weeniegeniewife; 09-23-2010, 12:05 PM.

Comment

I think that sounds like a good plan. Good luck and have fun celebrating this with your DH and his staff. It sounds like you've all worked hard for this.
                          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I think your current plan sounds incredibly generous and thoughtful.

I work in a largely gift-free office due to weird federal government rules about them, but I have gotten little trinkets and been taken out to eat on occasion. Everyone is right - any and all recognition is appreciated!
                            Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Originally posted by shrinkjamie View Post
                              One of my FB friends suggested a Tiffany pen, or something similar. Would that be nice?
                              While it's nice in theory, I wouldn't go the pen route. As Fluff said, those are things that often get misplaced, and honestly, unless you're (the staff) is personally at a "we've got so much money I don't know what else to do" point, then I think an expensive pen is almost ... silly. When it's staff like that, I like to provide something that allows them to splurge / do something they wouldn't usually spend the money on themselves.

My previous paragraph sounds really snotty / critical, so I'll just back it up by saying I was super irritated at dh's job when he received a Tumi rolling laptop & a Tag Heurer watch over the course of a few weeks in August. The two items together totaled more than $1500 in value, and I kept thinking "Why not just give us the cash? (they'd also given an "incentive bonus" that was unexpectedly small -- all this in lieu of what is usually an extravagant vacation but was scaled down due to the economy). I'm not suggesting you give cash, but I think giftcards to a nice restaurant or shopping / dining area where they can choose what suits them might be best. In our case (with the bag and watch) they only managed to effectively replace every nice gift I'd ever given my husband -- and I was ticked.

Comment

Working...
                              X