Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Facebook question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook question

Can someone explain the difference between "News Feed" and "Live Feed"? I don't get it...
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

One of them has fewer -- and that one includes things that FB has deemed you will like, based on what you've clicked on in the past or what you've said you "like". The other includes every update from everyone.

Personally, I find it lame and just look at the longer one anyway.
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Yeh that! I don't like the new page but I have finally gotten to the point where I do the Status Updates and then once a day or every other day I check the Photos and News Feed (live). I have found that just following the Status Updates doesn't include those that do them by mobile phone.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

The live feed is really weird. There was a Facebook movement where people posted how to change it back to the old way, so I and most other people did.

Comment

I tend to prefer Live Feed -- News Feed leaves out too much stuff I want to read. But in Live Feed you have to weed through all the "John Doe took a quiz called 'What type of lover are you?' and his result: Wild Stallion" type of crap. I wish there was some way to hide the quizzes, games and farm animal stuff (whatever the heck that is)...
          Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

I think the news feed /live feed is also an attempt to appeal to the Twitter set.

Comment

I thought the news feed was only status updates and the live feed is EVERYTHING everyone does? But I could be wrong?
              Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisada View Post
                There was a Facebook movement where people posted how to change it back to the old way, so I and most other people did.
                I tried that, and maybe I did it wrong, but it was still not displaying all of people's status updates. I thought it was, but when I switched back over to Live Feed, there were several that I'd missed. So I just keep it on Live Feed and try to skim over all the "now friends with" junk. I have already set it to ignore a bunch of apps like Farmville and Mafia Wars, so I don't have to scroll through all of that.
                Laurie
                My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I think the whole mobile phone uploads thing explains a lot. I haven't gotten a lot of my friends status updates with either Status Updates or News Feed. I'm always switching to Live Feed. I'm betting it is the mobile phone uploads that I've been missing. It's been driving me crazy not knowing WHY things are sorted the way they are -- so thanks for that info!

I do Twitter....and I don't think this is more Twitter like. Honestly, I don't notice a big difference between the two in tone. JMHO
                  Angie
                  Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                  Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by niener View Post
                    I tend to prefer Live Feed -- News Feed leaves out too much stuff I want to read. But in Live Feed you have to weed through all the "John Doe took a quiz called 'What type of lover are you?' and his result: Wild Stallion" type of crap. I wish there was some way to hide the quizzes, games and farm animal stuff (whatever the heck that is)...
                    There is...sort of. I am not an APP fan at all, so every one of my friends posts a quiz or farm animal thing I hover to the right of the post and it should say "Hide". The first item will be "Hide Crystal" and below that "Hide ridiculous App". I just select "hide app" and that app will no longer appear for anyone, I no longer know who is growing what crop or has what ugly duckling! (No offense to those of you who enjoy the apps, I would probably get addicted, so I swear them off!)

Hope this helps!
                    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
                      There is...sort of. I am not an APP fan at all, so every one of my friends posts a quiz or farm animal thing I hover to the right of the post and it should say "Hide". The first item will be "Hide Crystal" and below that "Hide ridiculous App". I just select "hide app" and that app will no longer appear for anyone, I no longer know who is growing what crop or has what ugly duckling! (No offense to those of you who enjoy the apps, I would probably get addicted, so I swear them off!)

Hope this helps!

You can also hide status updates of people in this same way. That way you can be friends with people without knowing every.single.thing they do. Especially those people that you've friended but haven't seen in years. This is currently helpful to me, as I am blocking the status updates of all Yankees fans I am friends with (which is a lot). They will be unblocked a few days after the World Series ends.
                      Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Working...
                      X