Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Only 34 days until Hanukkah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only 34 days until Hanukkah

I figured the Christmas thread was counting down....

I have yet to find candles for our menorah... Shocking. Seeings where we live... I may have to suck it up and go to the temple gift shop.

I have some gifts for the kids...but not alot bc dh and I agree to not over gift....and make it greed based I need a new shedder! I can't find my other one!! Or I could cop out and buy a latkes mix...or better yet, frozen hashbrown potatoes! I have white lights to hang up...and we always decorte stars to hang up.

Anyone? I think I'm the only lonely....(who celebrates a little?)
    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

I'll play! Thanks for the countdown BTW. It changes every year so I always forget my deadline.

I started doing 8 little gifts per family/group. So 8 all together for brother #1, his wife and kids; 8 for brother #2 and his wife, and so on. I need to start collecting goodies to send them.
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Oy. So I moved in with J in June, I didn't bring a menorah and find he only has an unkosher one. It looks like I am going to have to do some shopping. We (sisters and I) make our parents a calendar every year for the holidays. The don't need anything and love the personalized calendar. This year we are also taking all the old negatives we can find and getting them put on CD. I have no idea how many there are, but hundreds. We are doing a holiday party at school where we move room to room and have an activity in each room. The theme is following instructions. Im going to be teaching how to play dreidle in my room.
      -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
      Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
      Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rainbabies View Post
        Anyone? I think I'm the only lonely....(who celebrates a little?)
        I am not Jewish but I always end up pitching in around Passover in the spring, sort of...some of my Jewish friends give me their leftover leaven food when they clean their homes before the holiday. It's "feed the shicktsa (sp?)" time!

But this probably doesn't count, huh?
        Last edited by GrayMatterWife; 11-07-2009, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
          Gosh, I really hope I am not speaking out of turn here, but I thought that the Jewish holidays are celebrated in Luanne's home, too. Maybe I'm wrong...

sorry, i should have been specific...i meant with kiddos if we didn't have the kids, i don't think we would decorate. light candles, yes...but the yearly glitter fest with stars...not so much.

Comment

lol...it's okay abigail.

Comment

Oh, I actually deleted my thought re: Luanne from my original post, anyway. I could swear that Luanne shared with us a special holiday celebration one time, but...with my preggo brain...I could be "mis-remembering" details and I didn't want look like an idiot or make Luanne feel as though she had to correct me!

Comment

We've never done anything and most of the time I don't even know the exact dates. I did get a pretty silver menorah in Fortunoff when they had the closing sale. But I have no idea where to get candles and wasn't really planning on lighting it. I guess I still have a couple of years to slack off before DH decided that we need to start educating the kid about her background.

Comment

L. Jane, how is his menorah "unkosher"? (curious)

Vishenka, depending on the size of the Jewish community in your city, they may sell Hannukah candles at the grocery. Check the kosher foods asile. Otherwise, the temple Judaica shop will have them. If your menorah is silver or silver-plate though, be careful. The wax drippings can damage the menorah.

Funny, when DrK and I got engaged and our moms asked about gifts, our first thought was that we needed a menorah and other judaica to set up our own home together. Prior to that, we were "kids" and went home for the holidays so we had no need for our own stuff. Now we have everything but a challah cover but I figure in a few years Baby K will make one out of a napkin or something as a religious school project. My mom still uses the stuff that we made when we were kids.
                  Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I'm late here, but yes DH is Jewish and I have a Menorah. He doesn't really care either way. Sylvia, I can send you some candles, I have a drawer full!!!!
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I am planning on MrsK's gefilte fish loaf !!!!
                      Luanne
                      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                        L. Jane, how is his menorah "unkosher"? (curious)

While his Menorah is beautiful, a kosher menorah has to have all the candles arranged in a straight line (which his is) and all the lights should be on an even level, except the shamash, which is to be higher. (His is all random heights. It looks like a tree's branches)
                        -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                        Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                        Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

This months Good Housekeeping has a really cute and inexpensive menorah that they made from votive candle holders and the blue rocks for fishtanks. It's quite pretty when it's all finished.

Jenn

Comment

Mine looks like tree branches too and the shamash is actually lower than the rest. Looks pretty though. It is silver, so I shouldn't actually use it? Or are there dripless candles?

Comment

Our shamash is lower. And I'm certain it's kosher...due to where we purchased it. (but kosher doesn't play a roll in our house..)

Comment

Working...
                              X