Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Only 34 days until Hanukkah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rainbabies View Post
    Our shamash is lower. And I'm certain it's kosher...due to where we purchased it. (but kosher doesn't play a roll in our house..)
    Sorry, meant to say higher or lower. Its just not supposed to be on the same level as the other candles. I'm just so used to it being higher from all the menorahs I made at Jewish day and Sunday school. They were so ugly with the painted wood and bolts. And yet, we used them for years.
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I don't think mine is kosher since it is usually next to the Christmas tree.
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne123 View Post
        I don't think mine is kosher since it is usually next to the Christmas tree.
        ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

DH would never let me have a tree inside, so this year I get to decorate several outside. I'm a bad Jew. :P

Comment

Originally posted by L.Jane View Post
            While his Menorah is beautiful, a kosher menorah has to have all the candles arranged in a straight line (which his is) and all the lights should be on an even level, except the shamash, which is to be higher. (His is all random heights. It looks like a tree's branches)
            Okay, so your lack of being allowed to do Halloween was due to being raised Orthodox? Now I'm intrigued. You're rather new here, but the old-timers know I'm a little obsessed with Jewish traditions and Yiddish phrases, and was terribly, terribly disappointed when, upon moving into a 50% Orthodox neighborhood I realized that none of them wanted to be my friend. One of my reform friends told me "Please - they wouldn't even be MY friend!"

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
              Okay, so your lack of being allowed to do Halloween was due to being raised Orthodox? Now I'm intrigued. You're rather new here, but the old-timers know I'm a little obsessed with Jewish traditions and Yiddish phrases, and was terribly, terribly disappointed when, upon moving into a 50% Orthodox neighborhood I realized that none of them wanted to be my friend. One of my reform friends told me "Please - they wouldn't even be MY friend!"

lol. No worries. I am very open to discussing religion as long as it stay on a "this is how I do it" type of conversation rather then a "This is what's right" type of conversation. I was raised in the "Traditional" sect. Its kinda caught between Orthodox and Conservative. SOME Orthodox groups are very welcoming to new comers. My Aunt recently became Orthodox and they are very welcoming. Others, not so much. The VERY Orthodox groups probably would say I wasn't Jewish either. It just depends. I did get to trick or treat as a child, but I had friends who werent allowed to. My parents just looked at it as a fun evening. I also had to save my costume from purim and wear it a second time. (Jewish holiday where you dress in costume) One year I went to purim as one of the Queens, then for halloween I said the dress was a beauty queen... people went with it.) I also had a designated friend I would decorate the tree with and another I would decorate easter eggs with becuase I thought it was fun. (Did I mention I love crafts?) Anyway this is totally off the subject of Channukah, so hijack over, but if you have any questions, like I said, I am very open to answering.

Oh and for channukah... my wish list is getting long and improbable. (Like a new brain)
              -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
              Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
              Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                I'll play! Thanks for the countdown BTW. It changes every year so I always forget my deadline.

I started doing 8 little gifts per family/group. So 8 all together for brother #1, his wife and kids; 8 for brother #2 and his wife, and so on. I need to start collecting goodies to send them.
                And, I think I'm done! The goal is to do each group of gifts for $50 or less. Generally, the gifts are sort of a random collection of fun and/or useful items. This year, I had the added challenge of getting small things that can be shipped easily. Here's my tally:

Mom (used to be gifts for Mom and her bf but she let him go so she gets/deserves a windfall)
                1. two pair of cute socks
                2. DVD (double feature Little Miss Sunshine/Sideways)
                3. Mini Flashlight w/ batteries (it's bright pink, so cute)
                4. cute potholders
                5. cute patterned sticky notes
                6. insulated lunch tote w/ zipper
                7. first slice pie cutter (weird gadget for removing the first slice of pie)
                8. zippered pencil case w/ cute pattern (she uses these for everything)
                BONUS: Chocolate gelt & homebaked cookies.
                TOTAL: $45.50

Brother #1, SIL, Nephews aged 4 and 2
                1. DVD (double feature Mrs. Doubtfire/Mr. Mom)
                2. Mini flashlight w/ batteries
                3. cute potholders
                4. talking "Toy Story" book
                5. goofy frog hook for kids bathroom (nephew #1 loves frogs)
                6. insulated lunch tote w/ zipper
                7. tonka truck
                8. set of disney/micky mouse pens on lanyards
                BONUS: Chocolate gelt & homebaked cookies
                TOTAL: $50.50

Brother #2 and SIL
                1. DVD (double feature Say Anything/Garden State)
                2. Mini flashlight w/ batteries
                3. cute potholders
                4. insulated lunch tote w/ zipper
                5. insulated water bottle for SIL to take to the gym
                6. wine pourer/stopper
                7. magnetic post-it list pad (a repeat from prior years specifically requested again)
                8. cool looking rubber band ball (not one I made but something w/ a pattern, my brother likes this sort of stuff)
                BONUS: Chocolate gelt & homebaked cookies
                TOTAL: $53.75

So, we went a smidge over for the brothers' gifts. But still managed to spend less than $150 so I'd say we were successful.

In the past, we've put together a package for ILs too but MIL never seems to "get" it. She sort of responds with a weird/polite thank-you-for-the-thought. The point is to just have fun and not break the bank trying to impress eachother.
                Last edited by MrsK; 11-18-2009, 09:22 PM.
                Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Nice job, MrsK

I have some gifts. We only gift the kids. (our kids)
                  and thankfully a few family members think enough of us to gift us with $. It helps get us though the year. I do send out cookies to family, though...

I still need candles! The gift shop isn't open yet. Well, it is...but the secretary doesn't have the key anymore. Only a sunday school teacher does. And I don't see myself dragging my ass in on Sunday morning. But I may have to!

Comment

Sylvia, this may be a stupid suggestion, but what about buying the candles online?

Also, would it be okay to buy them somewhere like Target? You can get Kosher things at regular stores, right?

http://shop.thejewishmuseum.org/jmus...p?dept_id=3144

Sorry if this is insensitive or stupid. Really just trying to help. They seem to have a lot at Home Depot.
                    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Not stupid Heidi

I've ordered them before online and they're broken. And if I can avoid shipping costs that's good, too. Home depot carries them?

Comment

Sylvia, I found mine at Target this year. Dredels and gelt too.
                        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Yay! I found some at home goods! Last time I was there, they only had one box....they must have gotten a huge shipment in, because there were many colors/patterns to choose from

Comment

double post
                            Last edited by rainbabies; 11-20-2009, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Woohoo!!! I wouldn't want you to have to resort to an electric menorah

Comment

Ew. Never!!! And electric menorahs don't even make sense.

I made sure to stoke the nice towels, blankets, throws, pillows,frames, and mirrors while I was there dreaming of the day....
                                I also ran into one of my fav people. The grandmother of the babe I used to watch. Love her

Comment

Working...
                                X