Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Thankgiving plans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've got the in laws coming. I'd love to invite the SIL, her domestic partner and their new baby....but given that the inlaws aren't speaking to her anymore that would only be for my own Thanksgiving entertaiment. I'm making that soup now, Syl. Thanks for the recipe!
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

My husband is on-call so we'll be somewhere near here. We may join our neighbor with her parents up at Canyon Lake BUT of course, that's dependent on if the dawkter gets called in.

Dude is off from school that whole week so I'm off from work that whole week, too.

Jenn
      Last edited by DCJenn; 11-07-2009, 08:09 PM.

Comment

DH is going to be home from school the whole week and I am off from teaching also. We just got invited to some friends ( both of them are dawkters so I know what the talk will become) and we may go, although it will be our first non-hosting Thanksgiving. Oldest daughter will be in Qatar, second daughter is in Turkey and son says "wherever". I was looking in my friends Martha mag and got some ideas for some side dishes to bring and DH makes a great pecan pie with buckwheat flour crust.

Comment

DF's family is is meeting up with my family for our third annual Thanksgiving in Dallas. I'm really looking forward to it! We always have a rival family football game (which my family always losing--I'm jonesing to move to his side this year, hehe) and TEN out of the ELEVEN combined kids wake up at 4am on Black Friday to go shopping.

I'm happy our families get along--my mom like's my FILs better than her own family...
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

DrK volunteered for call on Thanksgiving. He wanted to make sure he was not on call Christmas/New Years since Baby K is due then. So, it will be me and Moxie eating peanut butter sandwiches and watching the Macys parade.

Cheri, if you are headed my way and feel up to it, I'd love to meet up.
            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Well, I'm due on Thanksgiving Day.....so we'll see, I guess! Backup plans are as follows...
              If I'm still pregnant - dinner with my Dad (lives about 1 1/4 hr away)
              If I'm postpartum - MIL coming to stay with us for a few days...bringing dinner.
              Wife to a PGY-7 Interventional Cardiology Fellow, Mom to two. DS(7) and DD(3).

Comment

We will be eating at my aunt and uncle's place. DH has to work during the day, but will hopefully be off in time to make it for dinner. My mom is flying into town for a good part of the week and I'm excited to show her around our new city!

Comment

Last year, I hosted Thanksgiving at our home in Louisiana. DH and I spent that holiday apart as he was in the Caribbean in class. This year, I will be hosting Thanksgiving at our home in the Caribbean with my husband and some close friends. I will definitely miss cooking with my mother, grandmother, and sister... But, at least I'm with DH this year.

Comment

We're off to see the in laws - first we have a big neighborhood dinner with DH's "extended" family (all of the neighbors he grew up with) then we go 3 hours away the next night to have dinner with his grandparents. My in-laws will be with us for both meals (as well as our source of transportation from the airports to destination!)

I am hoping that the ILs are more excited about their grandchild - but I am still a little nervous. I think I've got FIL in the bag - he is talking about buying the kid legos or duplos (DH was fanatic about them as a child)! But MIL, well, I've got my fingers crossed. Hopefully she'll see that DH has no plans to drop out of med school and get a job at a fast food joint and perhaps this child is not the worst thing to happen. *sigh*

I love to cook Thanksgiving dinner, so DH and I are going to host a small pre-Thanksgiving Thanksgiving feast for some of our friends here (starving med students!) so we can play with our fun kitchen gadgets. So what is that? 3 Thanksgiving dinners this year? Yea, that'll help a lot in keeping the baby weight down...*shrug*

Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

DH family is coming (parents, brother, grandparents) plus his parents two little dogs! So it is going to be a very cramped home, but I love it like that on the holidays. I am sure i will cook way to much food, we invited some of the 3rd and 4th yr students who are on aways and don't want to spend it alone. I also invited some of friends from school who are not flying home. So who knows how many people there will be!! The more the merrier!!

Happy Turkey DAY!!!
                      Brandi
                      Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

This is our first year of residency so no luck getting Thanksgiving off, but I am still hopeful about Christmas. DH will be on nights, so we are trying to plan a late afternoon Thanksgiving with our neighbors who are also "stuck" in town due to the wife being super pregnant.

I am actually looking forwards to not traveling and just chilling around the house, probably get all the Christmas decorations up!

Comment

We're going to my parents' and I'm bringing the sweet potatoes. I think both brothers and their families will be there--about 14 total?

I've done the meal in the past, both for just the husband and I, and once for the whole family--I like doing it, but am sooo glad to not be doing it this year. I don't feel up to it at all.

Having these four years living near my family have been such a blessing, but since we're moving away in June, it's hard not to have every event be tinged with the bittersweet "this is the last ___ together." Need to just focus on the sweet and not let the sad part creep into everything!
                          Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I have grad school class the night before Thanksgiving, ugh. Since driving home after class would require traveling once of the most congested travel corridors on the East coast, I will most likely stay with my mom Wednesday night. DF will drive down from his NICU shift and join us at my mom's house.

We will have an early brunch with them and then journey over to my godfather and aunt's house, about 1/2 hour away from my mom for the main event. She is an awesome cook and baker. My grandmom will making her mashed turnips, I have to fight off my aunt's vegan sisters for my share of those.

My dad, stepmom and siblings will join us there for dessert, as well as an (un)welcome visit from my aunt, her husband and my cousins. They think it's cool to stop by unannounced and bring their own desserts to eat, because they refuse to eat the desserts made available by the hostess (it's not a food allergy thing either). My cousin told me recently "we're going to stop by unannounced like last year, shhhh don't tell anyone". I said ok and turned right around and told my aunt, so that she could be prepared for their onslaught. It's just amazing that this group of unannounced visitors are all adults, yet they act so immaturely. They act like we should be so grateful for their unannounced visit because we're being blessed with their presence. Give me a break...

We will drive home that night, as that aforementioned travel corridor shouldn't be too bad on Thanksgiving night. DF is on 24 hr holiday call on Black Friday, so I will probably just hang out and do some school work/house cleaning/eating leftovers.

Happy Turkey Day to all!
                            Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

This will be bittersweet because it is the first holiday with my father gone. But we have a family tradition of going to my aunt's house here in Michigan, but had not done that for the last few years because of my father being sick. So this year, my mom and sister (little brother is ditching us for the girlfriend are coming up here to restart it. I am really looking forward to it.

One thing I can say is I've gotten spoiled with DH having all holidays off because he is in school. I guess reality will hit us hard next year.

Comment

Christine,

The first holidays after a loss can be difficult, I hope this one is as enjoyable as possible for you.

Kelly
                                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
                                X