Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What does your DH do with his ring during surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does your DH do with his ring during surgery?

I was wondering if you had any suggestions with what to do with your wedding ring when you scrub into surgery?

DH was tying his to his scrubs but he's really scared he's going to lose it. He wears his grandfather's wedding ring so it's not really "replaceable".

I know lots of men don't wear wedding rings but I don't really think that's acceptable (personal preference, I know not everyone believes this). I want us both wearing outward signs of our bond. As he said to me on our honeymoon, "I love that I can trust you, you have a cross on your neck and a ring on your finger and you've never once made me feel insecure that you'd ever even look at someone else."
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

DH ties his to his scrub pants - but there is some type of trick to it - like it needs to go after you cross the strings but before you make the loops (if that makes any sense). If you just put it on one of the strings and then tie, you may forget your ring is on there - BELIEVE ME!

Have him ask the other guys what they do...
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

On days Dh has surgery, he leaves it at home.
      Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

He used to put it on a necklace but the necklaces kept breaking so now he puts it in his scub pocket or ties it to his scrub pants. He prefers the necklace though.
        Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Dh has a clip on his keys that he attaches his ring to and then puts those in his pocket. They have weight so they won't fall out and also so he won't forget them when changing quickly between cases.
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

DH used to put it on the string of his scrub pants - then one day he put it in his scrub top pocket, forgot and it was gone. So he's on his 2nd. So now he either puts it in his wallet, if he has it on him, or he snaps it to his ID badge which he has to wear at all times. The way the badge is set up with the snap it can't come off.
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Dh put his ring on his watch band and then put his watch in his pocket.

Comment

No clever ideas here, DH ties his to his scrub bottoms.

I like the key ring idea, DH has a clip on his too. I should mention this to him...
                ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

DH and I do not wear our rings to work. However, since we do not like to travel with jewelry that is not replaceable (like our wedding rings) we decided to just get plain inexpensive bands to wear wen we traveling.

Could your DH have a second band for work - so that if it gets lost it can be replaced unlike his grandfathers?
                  Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

DH ties his to his scrub bottoms too. I think he does that thing where you go ahead and make a knot or two, then slide the rings on, then tie another knot or two.

He feels a bit naked without his rings so eventually he remembers he doesn't have them on -- though I imagine after spending months and months in the OR, he'd get used to not having them on quite as much and could easily forget. But as long as they are tied on there pretty well I'd imagine they'd stay on in the wash.
                    Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Originally posted by JaneDoe View Post
                      On days Dh has surgery, he leaves it at home.
                      Same. Since he's in surgery every day when he's on the hospital rotation, he rarely wears his ring.

Comment

He puts it in his scrub pocket. Has only been through hospital laundry twice
                        TG for his initials inside the band!
                        Rebecca, wife to handsome gyn-onc, and mom 4 awesome kiddos: 8,6,4, and 2.

Comment

Re: What does your DH do with his ring during surgery?

My DH doesn't wear his to work. He is very afraid of losing it there, as the one time he did wear it to the OR (called in on the weekend when he was wearing it), it fell out of his scrub pocket and into the central laundry shoot!

Also, DH sees peds patients in clinic, and as he puts it: "I dig around in poopy diapers when examining my patients" (not really like that but you get the gist of what he's saying), that it just doesn't make sense for him to wear it in clinic. As 70% of his time is in the OR, it's just best to leave it at home.

This bothered me when we were first married, but now I'm used to it. The whole hospital knows he's married and so it's no big deal to me anymore.
                          Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
                            Same. Since he's in surgery every day when he's on the hospital rotation, he rarely wears his ring.
                            Dh rarely wears he either, he has been on surgery rotations for months, so it has been sitting on a dresser most of the time. He wears it when he does clinic stuff, or any conference things.
                            Brandi
                            Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

In a lot of hospitals, you cannot wear any type of jewelry - so putting it on a necklace is usually verbotten...

DH left his on his scrub pants - didn't knot first - and the scrubs get sent out to a company...needless to say - someone was digging through bags of dirty scrubs to find his ring - got it back though!
                              Jen
                              Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Working...
                              X