Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Picture disk jackpot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picture disk jackpot

You might remember I lost my external hard drive and computer hard drive at the same time last year. I recovered some of the pics (about 50%) and felt ok about not mailing in my hard drive to have it picked apart in a sealed room for ~$1000.

Thomas bought me a new external drive and I've been uploading every digital file I can find (then we're going to burn the contents of my ED to blueray for extra protection.

I just found a box of disks that I had burned that will mean that I will recover WAY more of my pictures than I had thought possible....burning now...one at a time...

Ahhh. Relief!!!!!!!

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

How awesome!!! I recently became very anxious about losing my external drive as well. It is my back up for everything. Can Bluray hold that much memory? I need to know. I've got a terradrive with oodles of data backed up on to it. I'd buy another back up drive for the back up drive....but that seems ridiculous and neurotic. (Because it is ridiculous and neurotic.)
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Yes! And neurotic or not, after losing too many important pictures and documents, I am all for backing up multiple times!!!!

I had found enough pics from the last few years to make me feel ok, but I just found a huge stash of picture disks from years past.....

ahhh relief.

I'm going to spend the rest of the week neurotically going through every disk I can find in the house!!!!!

And SD card!!! LOL

Kris

Comment

My greatest joyful discovery is my photos from summer 2006, where we went to jellystone with our friends from the UK. I took ooooodles of pictures and thought they were lost for good! The disk I found has deep scratches on it, but somehow I got lucky and after popping it in multiple times it somehow loaded and copied! I can't get it to open now from disk...it was really damaged.

So. Lucky.

Comment

Yay! So happy you found them!
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

So glad you found your some of the pics. I, too, cherish my pictures. I need to update my "I'm going to kill DH thread" because after going to the genius bar and having no luck then taking the computer to "heroic efforts" (yes, that was the name of the place) to be picked apart for a small fortune, they are still gone.

Now, I am triple backing everything up.
            Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

What a RELIEF!!!
              I would have been losing my mind had I lost those pics.
              I lost my camera this past week and even the few that are on there, I am sad about!

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
                How awesome!!! I recently became very anxious about losing my external drive as well. It is my back up for everything. Can Bluray hold that much memory? I need to know. I've got a terradrive with oodles of data backed up on to it. I'd buy another back up drive for the back up drive....but that seems ridiculous and neurotic. (Because it is ridiculous and neurotic.)
                Back-up everything on the external drive. Our Lacie had an electrical problem which not only fried the external drive but it caused a short which then fried the motherboard in our old iMac. Thankfully I had just finished uploading 2500 images to Shutterfly. They are my current back-up and am considering having them all printed just to have the hard copies. Sometimes I just miss gold ole' fashioned film.

Kris, I am so happy that you have found so many of your images. That is great news!!!
                Tara
                Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Glad to hear that you will be able to at least recover some of them, and more than you expected!
                  Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Thank goodness!!! That is serious sweet relief. Our computer got infected with a virus a few months back so we saved all of our pictures to disks and one of those little tiny card thingies that has 150x the memory of my old computer.

MPS - ouch. I'm so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
                      Thankfully I had just finished uploading 2500 images to Shutterfly. T
                      Thank you for that! I forgot that I HAD a shutterfly account because I started using snapfish. More pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Kris

Comment

Working...
                      X