Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Speaking of Christmas - gift giving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of Christmas - gift giving

DH's clinic gives the staff bonuses for Christmas. However, DH feels like they (although much appreciated) are impersonal. So, he gets them (really I get them) gifts. They have to be cheap because I have to buy 31. The first year I bought $20 Starbucks gift cards because they were not only cheap but they came in these cute little mittens...BTW, that year I only had to buy 25. Last year, we had lunch catered but that flopped big time. Not everyone was there that day and again - not very personal. So, I am back to individual little gifts. My budget is $500. Anyone got any cool ideas between $10 and $15?
    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

I've been pondering this we are facing a similar situation. PLUS the drug reps always drop off these extravagent food gifts so that makes it even more complicated. Last year they brought those fancy chocolate covered apples that are like $10/each. Kind of makes that salami from Hickory Farms seem lame.

I told my husband last year that we weren't going to exchange meaningless gifts with his co-workers just because that's what everyone 'does'. (I think they were all relieved, truth be told)

As for the staff- I'm still stumped.

I know that Bath and Body works makes small gift packages- I got all of the teachers those hand sanitizer gels last year.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
      - I got all of the teachers those hand sanitizer gels last year.

Jenn

That is BRILLIANT. It's practical, funny, and I'm sure they loved the thought!!!
      Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
        I know that Bath and Body works makes small gift packages- I got all of the teachers those hand sanitizer gels last year.
        This is genius. This is definitely what I'm going to get for DS's preschool teachers!!
        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

When I was a teacher I always loved my gift cards or gift baskets from Bath and Body Works. You can never go wrong with them.

Comment

I have both male and female employees to buy for... although some males like gift baskets, I do not think the guys at the clinic are going to go for that. The hand sanitizer gels is a great idea but it is an ID clinic - they have all kinds of stuff to kill bugs in there.

I found these and thought about buying them some H1N1 since they are so prepared. hee hee. I bought DH several of these one year as a fun gift and he really liked them but now they are just sitting in the corner gathering dust in his office. Don't want the same to happen.
            http://www.giantmicrobes.com/

I have also thought about getting a massage therapists to come over and do chair massages - but not sure if everyone will enjoy that.

So, I am leaning towards a gift certificate. I am ok with the gift card as long as the packaging is special, neat looking, etc.

So, I am still searching.

Comment

Originally posted by medpedspouse View Post
              I found these and thought about buying them some H1N1 since they are so prepared. hee hee. I bought DH several of these one year as a fun gift and he really liked them but now they are just sitting in the corner gathering dust in his office. Don't want the same to happen.
              http://www.giantmicrobes.com/
              I bought one of those for DH a couple years ago, and while he loved it at the time, it is also now sitting in a corner gathering dust.

It seems like food things or giftcards would be your best bets. Sorry I don't have any brilliant ideas.
              Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

I thought these were cool. Love QVC. Plus if you get a bunch, you save on shipping.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx?view=2&app=detail&params=item^V29158,f rames^y,from^se,cm_scid^isrc,cm_ssi^Item:%20V29158 &cm_re=PAGE-_-SEARCH-_-V29158

Comment

Originally posted by trisha2486 View Post
                  I thought these were cool. Love QVC. Plus if you get a bunch, you save on shipping.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx?view=2&app=detail&params=item^V29158,f rames^y,from^se,cm_scid^isrc,cm_ssi^Item:%20V29158 &cm_re=PAGE-_-SEARCH-_-V29158
                  Oh-no. I can't go to the link. What should I look for?

Comment

I always get my kids' teachers Safeway gift cards, because Safeway has a HUGE selection of gift cards to choose from, and you can buy another gift card with a gift card. So it can turn into 15/20 bucks towards Home Depot, or a restauraunt, iTunes, whatever... (which I tell them in the accompanying card, something like, "Did you know you can buy any other gift card at Safeway with this, OR just get groceries?? Happy Holidays!") I've gotten really positive feedback since I started doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by PDXJenn View Post
                      I always get my kids' teachers Safeway gift cards, because Safeway has a HUGE selection of gift cards to choose from, and you can buy another gift card with a gift card. So it can turn into 15/20 bucks towards Home Depot, or a restauraunt, iTunes, whatever... (which I tell them in the accompanying card, something like, "Did you know you can buy any other gift card at Safeway with this, OR just get groceries?? Happy Holidays!") I've gotten really positive feedback since I started doing this.
                      I like this idea. It really takes the guess work out of it and there would be something for everybody!
                      Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Originally posted by MDPhDWife View Post
                        I like this idea. It really takes the guess work out of it and there would be something for everybody!
                        We do not have safeways...and I think the the get what you want card is a little impersonal - might as well add the $15 to their bonus. I am sorry about being difficult. We just wanted to add a little personal gift to the bonuses. I am not crafty, so that's out too.

Comment

It might be hit-or-miss, but I like puzzles. Maybe a Christmas or Winter themed one. Or a board game, but you might need to attach gift receipts, in case they already have it. Those would be something they could do with their families.
                          Laurie
                          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by medpedspouse View Post
                            Oh-no. I can't go to the link. What should I look for?
                            Sorry. Put V29158 in the search box for them to come up.

Comment

I was going to suggest gloves or scarves, but then remembered that you're in TX. What about something from a local artisanal store? Can be a Xmas tree decoration or food related item (like jam).

Comment

Working...
                              X