Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

New moon!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New moon!!!

Ok, who else is pumped about New Moon coming out tonight?!?

Anyone going to see it this weekend? I'll be joining the masses of teenage girls tomorrow night probably, since I'm too old to stay up for the first showing at 12am tonight/tomorrow morning

I can't wait!!! I'm going to see it with some friends on Saturday when DH is on call. I might have to drag him to see it again though...
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Have tickets to the 7pm show tomorrow. The girls can wait. But you know me, I can take it or leave it...

Comment

I have to tell you, until I finally read this thread...I kept thinking, "who cares about a new moon. Doesn't it happen like, every month?"

but now, after watching jay leno tonight...I know what you're talking about

and I have to say...it looks interesting. I think jennP said I should check out the books(along with my cousins strong suggestion (book store mgr)

Rpatz is all over the gossip blogs....and OMG. He looks *just like* the dad who's baby I used to watch.
        ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

I would strongly suggest reading the books before seeing the movies. It will make so much more sense what all the hype is about. I wouldn't say the movies are that great, except to see our favorite characters act out our favorite scenes. They're really fast reads - I read them in a few days because they were almost impossible to put down.
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I really do want to read the books. Just like I want to read Harry Potter just to see what all the hype is about. I might check them out this week. I heard you can't put them down.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
              I wouldn't say the movies are that great, except to see our favorite characters act out our favorite scenes.
              Exactly! I saw the first one before I read the books. I had a "meh" feeling about it. After I read the books I couldn't wait to watch it again. It was better only because I enjoyed the books so much and liked seeing the characters in action.

DF has somewhat of a problem with the series. Right before he proposed, I was sitting in our rental car (we were on a trip) reading one of the books. He tried to get me to come out and "take pictures" with him. I refused, telling him I was absorbed in the book and did not want to go out in the cold to take pictures. He said, "we're on vacation. stop reading and come out and enjoy the scenery with me." It was hard to pry myself away from Edward Cullen. But boy am I glad I did!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
                I would strongly suggest reading the books before seeing the movies.
                I entirely agree with this. I watched the first movie after finishing the first book, and was SO irritated with the movie. It was so BAD. But once I read all the books I went back and watched the movie again (on the bike, on my iTouch), and some of the bad went away b/c I saw Edward's emotional angst / hesitiation rather than just bad acting. Don't get me wrong -- the acting is definitely sub-par (although it did improve in New Moon, as well as the special effects -- MUCH better in New Moon).

But if you see the movie before reading the books you may not get sucked in the same way. I can't explain it -- really -- I mean the writing is not fab. It's obvious Meyer was NOT a writer. The story just sucked me in.

Christine - you mentioned HP. I love HP -- a whole different way / level than Twilight. Twlight to me is a not-so-trashy love story. HP is a different world created by Rowling that just pulls you in and makes you believe in magic. Both are wonderful -- HP more so (in my opinion). If you were looking to dive into both, I'd suggest Twlight first just b/c it's a fast, fast read. HP is a committment.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post

Christine - you mentioned HP. I love HP -- a whole different way / level than Twilight. Twlight to me is a not-so-trashy love story. HP is a different world created by Rowling that just pulls you in and makes you believe in magic. Both are wonderful -- HP more so (in my opinion). If you were looking to dive into both, I'd suggest Twlight first just b/c it's a fast, fast read. HP is a committment.
                  With the two little ones, I should start with Twilight first huh. I seriously cannot devote hours at a time to books like I used to. I would end up staying up until 4 in the morning trying to finish those damn HP books as I am known to get sucked into a good book. But the family will be here on Wednesday so I'm going to borrow them from my 13 year-old cousin!
                  Last edited by Chrisada; 11-22-2009, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
                    HP is a committment.
                    Amen. 7 books of magic. Don't get me wrong, the first few are pretty easy reads because the kids are 11 and 12 in it, but as they get older the books get more and more complicated and better and better.
                    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Twilight and New Moon are in my possession!

Comment

Originally posted by L.Jane View Post
                        Amen. 7 books of magic. Don't get me wrong, the first few are pretty easy reads because the kids are 11 and 12 in it, but as they get older the books get more and more complicated and better and better.
                        I thought that this was brilliant! She literally let kids in that age group "grow up" with Harry. Character development, plot complexity, even book length were age appropriate for the kids aging with Harry. However, this makes it difficult to read all of the books to younger kids now -- sequentially. It worked far better to wait a year between each one.

Just food for thought.
                        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I wish I could see it, I have an 18 month old so I have to wait for it to come out on video. I agree that it creates a lot more hype if you read the books first, there is a lot more detail in them that allows you to get to know the charaters better. It was hard for me to put the first 3 books down. I wasn't as crazy about Breaking Dawn, it was ok.

Comment

Working...
                          X