Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Chicago public transportation question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago public transportation question

We're spending Thanksgiving in Chicago this year, and thinking about taking the kiddos to the Ringling Bros. circus at the United Center.

My parents' condo is in the South Loop area; it looks like we could take the Orange Line train to the Madison stop, and then take Bus 20 west.

It's been years since I've taken the el, and I've never done it with little kids and I've definitely never had to do a bus transfer. Is this going to be more complicated than I think? Or does this seem like it will be pretty easy to do?
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

That should be fine. What time does the show start? What day of the week?

The area around the United Center isn't very safe and can be deserted, unless there's an event. It's not a good area to be lost in.

Another option is the Blue line, and then walking for a good 10 minutes north on Damen (factoring in "kid pace").

I'd honestly take a cab. Should be about $15-20 one way.
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I agree with Alison!
      Jen
      Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

If it's you and your husband (young kids like yours ride free), you'll already pay at least $4 each to get to the United Center, since you'll have to transfer. That's $8 forth and $8 back. I know that's not $40 that you'd spend on a cab, but it'd be worth it to save on the stress of transferring and traveling to an unsafe part of town... I'm all about public transportation, but not in this particular instance.

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
          That should be fine. What time does the show start? What day of the week?
          The show starts at 3:30pm, on Friday (day after Thanksgiving!).

Thanks for the info, I'll look into taking a cab. We'll have our cars available, too, so we could drive ... but then there's the issue of parking...
          ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
          -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Originally posted by migirl View Post
            The show starts at 3:30pm, on Friday (day after Thanksgiving!).

Thanks for the info, I'll look into taking a cab. We'll have our cars available, too, so we could drive ... but then there's the issue of parking...
            There's quite a bit of foot traffic during the week, because of the hospitals near the center, but it's a bit concerning to me, because this is a holiday weekend.

Sounds fun. Be sure to say hello to Chicago for me.

Have a wonderful time!

Comment

One note - check the MTA's website to make sure the stops you'll use are handicapped (stroller) accessible. They aren't all so, and we had to carry a double stroller w/2 sleeping kids down 2 flights one time.

Comment

We had the worst time trying to take public transport in Chicago this summer. The machines only take exact change in cash, don't give change or accept any kind of cards and those singles better be nice and crisp. Same thing for bus transfers. We gave up and took cabs. I can't imagine trying to jam several singles in the machine while having 2 kids in tow.

Comment

Working...
                X