Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Blizzard-Type Snowstorm Thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blizzard-Type Snowstorm Thing

Anyone else here snowed in as a result of this massive snowstorm?

I am!

There is a state of emergency here and there is a foot of snow on the ground (and still snowing - we're smack in the middle of that "15-24 inches of snow" corridor they keep talking about). The wind hasn't been too strong, thankfully. They actually closed the malls here at 3 PM. Probably the biggest snow I've seen since the 2003 storm that closed my college for 3 days.

DF is on 24 hour NICU call at the hospital that is 10 minutes away and thankfully NOT the hospital 45 minutes away. I will have to get up early tomorrow and shovel the driveway so that he can find it! There is no delineation between our driveway, the grass, the neighbors' driveway and our front step anymore.

Anyway, it makes for a nice background for decorating and writing Christmas cards. Probably won't go too far tomorrow either. I will bake cookies while DF sleeps and then maybe I will talk him into going sledding at the nearby park.

Hope anyone else experiencing this snowstorm is staying all cozy and warm somewhere!
    Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

I sent J an email this morning (he was post call) PLEASE call me before you leave. Also, do you have a full tank of gas? At 9:30 he calls me, I have been told to leave now. So an hour later he makes it home after driving 20mph the whole way.

We just went out the the car to get some of the snow off of the car so that the next 6 inches aren't just accumulating on top of it. Then we played in the snow for a few minutes until our hands were frozen. We need better gloves.
    IMG_1318.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

DH is in VA/NC interviewing - it took him 12 hours to drive 300 miles last night Be safe everyone!
      Jen
      Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Wow L.Jane, you have a lot of snow there! Glad to hear J made it home safely!

GreyhoundsRUS - also very glad to hear your DH to his next destination safely. I've heard some crazy stories about how bad the roads are down there.

This is what the view out my front door was around 2 PM. Add four inches to what you see there and that is what it looks like now (I'm too lazy to get the picture off my phone). There is a half step down from the house and then another full step down to the driveway.
        Attached Files

Comment

Yikes - I need to pay better attention to the news, where is all of this happening?
          Kris

Comment

We are getting it now!!!!!
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Our original flight (tonight) to Baltimore was cancelled, Continental cancelled our flight to BWI tomorrow. I'm going to go ahead and take the am flight to Houston and then take whatever flight gets us to the Eastern Seaboard first. There's always a way to get to DC/Balto once you're there. Planes/Trains/Automobiles/buses. Whatever it takes.

Jenn

Comment

BWI is still closed. Here's Baltimore earlier tonight:
                Attached Files
                Cristina
                IM PGY-2

Comment

WOW look at all the snow!!
                  Brandi
                  Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

If we get there before Christmas, we'll be lucky. (and EVERYTHING was sent to my mother's. We can't even punt at this point. I don't have so much as a Hot Wheels to stick in a stocking.)

Phuck.

Jenn

Comment

We have somewhere between 15 and 16 inches and the snow is starting to wind down.

MissCrabette - your picture is so pretty!

A whole bunch of my FB friends are whining about the snow. They haven't left their houses all day and have maybe 6 inches of snow. I want to tell them that they're not going to get anything compared to what I have already and they should just enjoy it! My hometown got 17 inches, there are a few nearby spots that have upwards of 21 inches and it's still snowing. Crazy.

Jenn - ugh. I know you will get there. Once you get on the East Coast, hardly anyone will be driving around particularly between Philly and DC, so it could be smooth sailing. And there is always the train! Hang in there!

Comment

It's so frustrating to have your plans all disrupted around the holidays because of the weather. I hope everyone gets to where they are going safely. If you can't, stay home inside where it's safe and warm.

Comment

For the record, I worked for the federal gov't for three years and never got a snow day, but as soon as I leave, this is what happens. They are all shut down in DC today.
                          Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild View Post
                            For the record, I worked for the federal gov't for three years and never got a snow day, but as soon as I leave, this is what happens. They are all shut down in DC today.

YUP! SNOW DAY FOR ME!! Hehe. Im not in Fed gov, but public school. Can I tell you the dance I did last night. That is the one thing they do right for Long Term Subs. I still get paid for a snow day! I do have a few friends that do work for the Fed Gov and they are all very happy today too.
                            -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                            Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                            Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Yay for snow days!

Of course, every day this week is a snow day when you're a full-time grad student and the semester is over

I know my siblings and stepmom are off from school today (my hometown is notoriously bad at plowing/sanding the 25 miles of roads they have), and the schools here are closed. A lot of my teacher friends who work further north (and got less snow) are on delayed openings.

Be careful if you're going out - I know that there was some refreeze last night that is only starting to melt now in the sunshine. I'm going to venture out in a little bit to mail some special packages.

Comment

Working...
                              X