Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The weirdest thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The weirdest thing

The weirdest thing just happened to me. I was still upstairs in my PJ's, reading the forum, when I heard a loud knock on the door. I looked outside and saw a Police car. I called out to DH to go open the door since I was looking like hell and STILL in PJ's. No response. By now the dog was barking, too, and I'm sure the cop heard me yelling DH's name. So I gulped and went to answer the door as I was. Ugh! It turns out that they supposedly got a 911 hang-up call from "this location" and they wanted to make sure everyone was OK. DH finally showed up from the downstairs laundry room and talked to the guy, but now I'm mad at myself for not thinking quick on my feet and asking what number the call came from. The guy asked who else was in the house and now I'm worried that it wasn't really the Police, but someone scoping out the place. Am I worried for nothing? Did this happen to someone else?
    Cristina
    IM PGY-2

Call the police Dept and tell them what you just told us. I would say you just wanted to confirm this was legit becuase you felt uneasy about it all.

Comment

Oh yes, call the PD to make sure. and let us know... now you've got me wondering!
      Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
      "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

I called the local police department and the guy confirmed that it was indeed a Police Officer. I still don't understand how this happened, but at least now I know it wasn't some potential burglar scoping out the place. Still weird.
        Cristina
        IM PGY-2

Comment

I would be really freaked out, too! Glad it was a real police officer. Do you have an alarm system? If so, maybe that malfunctioned? At least you know they're good about checking on 911 calls...
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Re: The weirdest thing

That is really strange. I remember my daughter called 911 when she was 3, when I was in the shower. I got out to hear loud banging on the door, and it was the cops making sure everything was ok. I had no idea she had called them until they played the tape back for me! It was kinda cute, even though I told her it was a no-no unless someone was actually sick or hurt. On the tape you can hear her asking the 911 operator if she ate breakfast, and did she like Dora?

Glad you are ok; I would have been freaked as well.
            Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

Both of my kids have called 911 (uh ... Quinn has done it a couple of times), but it is odd for it to happen in a kid-free house.

Comment

Possibly a previous occupant had a phone still tied to the address? Like we have a "Magic Jack" phone that works through the computer, I registered the number with 911 so that if I called they would know the address. But if we move I have to remember to change it.
                A freaky experience either way!!

Comment

That is weird, but I am glad to hear that it was a real police officer.
                  Kris

Comment

Eeps!

I'm glad you got this resolved.
                    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Weird indeed!! I am really glad it was a real officer though...that would have me creeped out, especially this time of year. (I can't stop thinking about that old 'Home Alone' movie in this context! - sorry)
                      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

now i remember!

Originally posted by MissCrabette View Post
                        I called the local police department and the guy confirmed that it was indeed a Police Officer. I still don't understand how this happened, but at least now I know it wasn't some potential burglar scoping out the place. Still weird.
                        I knew something about this post was reminding me about a similar situation and I couldn't remember it until just now!

A few years ago my in-laws kept getting the PD called out due to 911 hang up calls. They always had issues with their land line- we only told them a million times!!!!-- but they would NEVER do anything about it because they have cell phones (and are the laziest bastards ever/sorry for the mini rant!). Come to find out their land line/house phone was indeed more messed up than we thought. It was calling 911 all on its own. The in-laws had to call out the phone company for a repair. It was a phone line problem so the phone company fixed it for no charge.
                        Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                        "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

The house is almost as old as me and my dad bought it straight from the builder, so it's not a previous occupant calling 911 with a Vonage type phone. I actually transferred my Vonage phone to my parents a couple of months ago, but I checked the call log for that online and there was no 911 call. I'm not about to press redial on the landline phone. It was just me and DH at home. He didn't dial. I didn't dial. I thought the cats might have knocked a phone over, but that's a bit of a stretch and none of the phones in the house were knocked down anyway. I checked.

The only thing I can think of is that he got the wrong house, but what are the odds of that? I'm pretty sure these guys can read the number on the mailbox and on the house. Scratch that because the local PD guy checked for this address specifically, so this is the right house. :shrug:
                          Last edited by MissCrabette; 12-30-2009, 10:24 AM.
                          Cristina
                          IM PGY-2

Comment

The same thing happened to us last year. I was in the shower when the police came and DH answered the door. I had to tell them I was alright. They said a number registered to our apartment called them but it wasn't even our number, weird.
                            Wife to Anesthesia PGY4

Comment

Originally posted by shazam View Post
                              call the police dept and tell them what you just told us. I would say you just wanted to confirm this was legit becuase you felt uneasy about it all.
                              ita!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X