Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

OK- now this is GROSS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK- now this is GROSS

and I will never drink fast food fountain drinks again:

Didn't think the fast food industry could get any grosser? Well it can.

This time, it's not the food, but the soda fountains to be worried about. According to Tom Laskawy, a media and technology professional and blogger for grist.org, a team of microbiologists from Hollins University found that 48% of sodas tested from the fast food fountains contain coliform bacteria, which is typically fecal in origin. And most bacteria found were antibiotic resistant, as icing on the cake.

The microbiologists published their findings in the International Journal of Food Microbiology. They tested 90 beverages from 30 soda fountains. Their abstract states:

...Coliform bacteria was detected in 48% of the beverages and 20% had a heterotrophic plate count greater than 500 cfu/ml. [...] More than 11% of the beverages analyzed contained Escherichia coli [E. Coli] and over 17% contained Chryseobacterium meningosepticum. Other opportunistic pathogenic microorganisms isolated from the beverages included species of Klebsiella, Staphylococcus, Stenotrophomonas, Candida, and Serratia. Most of the identified bacteria showed resistance to one or more of the 11 antibiotics tested.
    Laskawy notes that only one recorded outbreak linked to a soda fountain has occurred, and that was ten years ago. But on a smaller scale, these bacteria could cause sickness on an individual level that can go unreported.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_413733.html

That IS gross and my knee-jerk reaction is to never ever want to drink fountain sodas again, but... This stuff is everywhere. I doubt most of us keep our toothbrushes outside the bathroom.

Also, I remember a friend in college tested various foods in the college cafeteria and found Coliform bacteria all over the salad bar. Lovely.
    Last edited by MissCrabette; 01-07-2010, 02:38 PM.
    Cristina
    IM PGY-2

Comment

True-

Of course, after our fellow iMSNer Amiens had her bad experience at DQ while moving across country, I've never set a foot in there either.

(If I recall, her entire family got sick after eating chicken nuggets from DQ midway through their drive across country...)

Jenn

Comment

YUCK!!!

But i have convenience myself that Sonic must be different RIGHT!!?? I must have my Diet Cherry Vanilla Diet Coke.
        Brandi
        Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

It'll certainly make me think twice about having a fountain drink. I don't like them much anyway since they vary so much depending on how they were mixed.

I guess what I'm saying is that there are so many yucky things out there and in our own homes that it's not worth stressing over. Not much, anyway.

My mom got sick (emergency room sick) after eating at a Bennigan's. We haven't been there since, but I don't think I'd be opposed to going back.

P.S.: Who has seen Emeril, Bobby Flay, or Mario Batali wipe their nose with their bare hand during Iron Chef and keep on going with food preparation? *raises hand*
          Cristina
          IM PGY-2

Comment

Re: OK- now this is GROSS

Uhhhhhhh. Puts down diet coke from mcdonalds and goes to brush teeth.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
              goes to brush teeth.....
              Wait, wait... Where do you keep your toothbrush?
              Cristina
              IM PGY-2

Comment

I knew there was a good reason for sticking with alcohol when eating out. What about adding some rum to the coke to kill off the bacteria?

Comment

Originally posted by MissCrabette View Post
                  Wait, wait... Where do you keep your toothbrush?
                  I assume you saw the Dr.OZ episode where he informed the audience that every time a toilet is flushed w/the lid up, microscopic fecal matter escapes into the air and settles on pretty much everything including tooth brushes!

Comment

No, I didn't see that. I personally put the lid down every time, but who knows what DH does. I find the lid AND seat up more often than not. Even with the lid down, it's not like there's a seal.

End hijack.
                    Cristina
                    IM PGY-2

Comment

Re: OK- now this is GROSS

OMG suz. I might be sick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Julie, that was my first thought too. Only eat at places you can buy alcohol!!!!!
                        Luanne
                        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by Shazam View Post
                          I assume you saw the Dr.OZ episode where he informed the audience that every time a toilet is flushed w/the lid up, microscopic fecal matter escapes into the air and settles on pretty much everything including tooth brushes!

oh gosh, I guess I'm lucky my new bathroom doesn't have an outlet, I'll have to find somewhere else to keep my toothbrushes!
                          Wife to Anesthesia PGY4

Comment

I've known about the whole fecal matter going into the air for a while, and am always bugging DH to close the damn lid before he flushes. He laughs at me.

Comment

We have covers on our toothbrush heads and they are on the opposite side of the bathroom. I used to cover the seat all the time but now it's too much of a bother and I'm too zonked out by having to get up every hour at night to remember.

Comment

Working...
                              X