Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Who do you patronize....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who do you patronize....

I know that none of us has a lot of money to engage in too much retail therapy...but which stores are your favorites?
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Generally we go to Walmart, garage sales, and Once upon a Child. But if we're feeling decadent....

Ann Taylor--The Loft
    Pottery Barn Kids
    Old Navy
    Sportsmart

What about you and your family?

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I am a clearance girl almost all the way! I love to shop for the kids clothes at GAP, Old Navy and Target. I usually buy their clothes at the end of the season on clearance and save it for the next. Alot of people think it would be a hassle to have to "store" the clothes but I LOVE the price I get them at. I always get my sons t-shirts at like $3.00 and can get my daughters dresses at like $6.99 and THEN I usually buy them so that they fit for 2 years if I can. I am so cheap! My husband loves American Eagle and gets their shoes that are normally $60.00 online for about $12.00 a piece and buys 3 or 4 pairs at once. He wears out clothes and shoes like our 5 year old. With this new baby on the way, I have saved most of the kids clothes to just kinda hand down and I can't wait to put it back on someone! I miss their tiny things.

Jessica

Comment

retail

Jessica, I'm with you...clearance racks all the way! I love to find brand name buys at once upon a child and I only shop the 60-80% off racks at Gymboree, etc. I love getting a bargain

kris
        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Target is probably my favorite store for the girls and myself. I do also like Eddie Bauer, Gap, and Old Navy. If I need something nice, I like Harold's and Ann Taylor, though I can't really afford to shop at either of those stores! I used to buy on consignment for the girls a lot but then I realized I would spend about the same for new clothes on sale at Target.
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

For T-shirts and undies, etc., I shop at Target or the PX. The PX also carries name band clothing but the Ft. Sam Houston PX (Army) is pretty small and I'm too lazy to go to the Air Force Base (all of 15 minutes away from my house!)

I buy everything else from the jjill catalog and website. I also am a completely crazed Birkenstock fan and I buy them on eBay. They have an awesome selection of new birks that people import from Germany and then sell. (alothough I have ordered directly from Germany as well.)

On those rare occasions that I actually have to purchase something dressy, I go to Harolds or Chicos. For my best friend's wedding- I went to Vera Wang, though. I figure how often am I ever going to have the opportunity to wear a Vera Wang gown!? and I AM the Best Chick after all!

Jenn

Comment

For myself, I LOVE Dillard's clearance racks, and I also enjoy Kohl's and Penneys, as well as Land's End. If I ever have money to burn,(HA!) I imagine Coldwater Creek will get a lot of my business. I also love to go to outlets, and have found many to patronize here in Texas, where shopping is elevated to an art form. I really wasn't much of a shopper until we moved down here! 8O

For my boys, Old Navy and The Children's Place are favorites. Old Navy clearance racks are awesome! Once Upon A Child is a lesser favorite -- their selection for boys is always less than for girls, and two of my boys are too big for their clothes, for the most part.

I am also hopeless at stores like Zany Brainy, which sells software, books, and upscale educational-type toys. I was in there during a clearance sale recently and I got the "Oregon Trail" software (4th edition) and "Where In Time Is Carmen San Diego?" for $5 apiece! My son has spent hours with both of them and he is learning at the same time. I love buying toys.......

Sally
              Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

We frequent Target, Old Navy and Gap clearances for kid's clothes. I did find some great sales last summer on stuff for Avery. Most of the time grandparents have been doing most of the shopping for her. Thank heavens for grandparents, I guess.

As for myself, I would love to spend some money in Anne Taylor Loft, Gap and Lands End. I haven't been shopping in over two years. I will be investing in some cheap maternity clothes pretty soon.

My husband tends to like Old Navy, Dick's Sporting Goods and Kohl's.

Jennifer
                Needs

Comment

I like the Gap (on sale), and I buy my scrubs from a catalog. I also like Target. For underwear I go to Victorias Secret when they have they good sales and stock up.
                  Luanne
                  Luanne
                  wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Who buys new clothes??! I am still wearing my DW old college T-shirts from 1993!

I have to agree with Jennifer (jlynnb), grandparents are keeping the kid in nice duds. When we get him something it is usually from Kohl's and on sale.
                    My wife loves Victoria's Secret, we don't frequent the place, but she gets some good deals on undies.
                    Me, I just run around in my gym shorts and bad T-shirts and a sweatshirt (when cold weather won't let Spring in).

Now grocery stores on the other hand....

Comment

I just went shopping for the first time for myself in about 3 years a couple of weeks ago!!! And, all I hit were bargain/clearance racks. That's the way it goes---

Kids clothes, though, I love gymboree, and I usually get the super sale on those or else wait for good deals on ebay.

My husband's clothes almost all come from Costco.

I also like to sew, although it's hard to find time.... I have lots of material and patterns anyway. It's fun to sew for little kids b/c they are not too cool to wear homemade stuff. They think it's neat b/c their outfits are always different and they know that I made them.

Stores I like are Eddie Bauer, Gap jeans, Bon Marche sales, Nordstrom Rack (I can't even afford to breathe the air in an actual retail Nordstrom store!), and occassionally JC Penney. Stores for the kids are Gymboree, Target, Children's Place, and Fred Meyer.

I am like Jenn as far as shoes are concerned. So glad to hear that big city girls in DC wear Birks!!! I seriously thought that was a west-coast thing. Granolas are granolas, I guess. I have bought Birks on ebay- since I know my size, I can't go wrong. The only thing is I can not wear any other shoes, except my tennis shoes. All my other shoes just kill my feet. So I'll hit the outlets soon and find some shoes, but I doubt I'll ever wear them... I don't even know how to walk in high heels. I'm 5'11", so I never really wanted to be taller, and I am pretty positive that I would sprain an ankle should I attempt to walk in high heels.

Oh well...
                      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I am 5'11" too! And I hate high heels as well. I LIVE in flip flops here in AZ and hate when it's too cold to have to wear socks. Just thought I would share b/c I was so excited to read that someone else is that tall too and hates heels.

Jessica

Comment

Peggy.

You will discover a dedicated underclass of we granolas in the DC area. We have food co-ops and excellent farmer's markets, too! Once you get there, we'll have to hook up so that I can introduce you to the 'real' people of DC!

Jenn

Comment

Jenn- I can't tell you how relieved I am!!!

I thought I was headed to the land of dark business suits, and although it may be that land, at least now I know there's an alternate world out there! I love farmer's markets, too. BTW, are there any decent Mexican restaurants around?

Peg
                            Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Peggy,

My wife did her undergrad at UW. She lives in Birkenstocks, there have been times she has called me and forgotten to change her shoes as she was walking out the door to the hospital!
                              When she was single and not burdened with school debt, she loved the Bon!

Comment

Working...
                              X