Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Glamorous Life of a Doctor's Wife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

::tiptoes in:: DF drives a 2008 Honda Civic and I drive a 2008 Nissan Sentra. We were very fortunate that DF's parents and grandmother were able to assist him in purchasing the car outright. I worked when I got my car, so I made a sizeable down payment and could afford to make the payments (which are killing me right now as a broke grad student).

When DF and I started dating just over 6 years ago, he was driving a 1986 Toyota Cressida. That car was awesome - automatic everything, and a sunroof! Unfortunately, it met its demise not longer after that. From that point until late 2008, he drove a 1996 Toyota Camry. I was not a fan of that car with its manual everything, ugh.

DF and his family take really good care of their cars, the Civic will probably last him 10 years. We'll see how the Sentra holds up, my driving style does not bode well for cars.
    Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

I have a brand new dawkter's wife car but DH drives a 2001 Corolla that has survived 4 years of NYC. This basically means that the back bumper is cracked in the middle, there's no antenna or a Toyota sign on the front grill, it's missing front turn light cover and there are numerous dings and scratches throughout. Since he only drives it to work and parks in the "attendings only" lot and then a garage at home, we didn't even get it inspected last year. There's no way it'll pass inspection without fixing some stuff and it's just not worth putting even several hundred into it.

Comment

My 1999 Subaru is our "new car". It has 106K miles, a cracked gasket that leaks oil on the engine, and the cruise control broke this week. We use it to haul loads to the dump so it has bark and bugs and leaves permanently embedded in the crevices. The 1993 Camry sedan is our "good car". It mostly stays parked, and DH's parents took excellent care of it, I'm not even sure it has 100K miles. DH drives it to Seattle once a month and that's about it.

Mmm, glamorous.
        Alison

Comment

I think I probably win the prize for the "oldest car daily driven to work and everywhere else". I drive a 1987 Volvo 240 station wagon with about 300K on it. It just keeps going and gets over 20 mpg. The compression is still even on all the cylinders and it has no rust and even the original hubcaps. There is a little split on the passenger seat but even the license plate light works. I just cross my fingers that it will last until DH is out of school. His Mom gave him her Prius when she stopped driving. I guess I will just get another Volvo, when you buy them new and drive for 300K or more they are a great deal. This is my second car but I am not that into how cars look and have no idea what is in style for cars.

This is a fun thread

Comment

Jeez--that's incredible!
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

My first car was a 1976 VW Rabbit - my dad bought it for $50 out of a farmer's pasture and had to re do all of the wiring and tubes, etc because the mice had eaten them I loved that car!
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I get the oldest, but not driven daily. I have a 1965 Ford Mustang that I only drive locally and only in good weather.
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne123 View Post
                  I get the oldest, but not driven daily. I have a 1965 Ford Mustang that I only drive locally and only in good weather.
                  Aww Luanne - I'm not sure that counts... Must be driven daily (regularly, year round) to win this time. A collector's item doesn't make the grade this time.

Although, I bet it is a pretty sweet ride. I drove a '67 (I think) Mustang once. My arms were sooooo tired because it didn't have power steering.
                  Kris

Comment

Up until last April, we shared a 1997 Ford F-150 LX Supercab pickup.

In May, we gave it to my sister and her new husband (they needed another car) when we bought my mother's company car--a 2008 Town & Country. $5100 (price my mom paid when she retired in April) and 30,000 miles. A good deal. We got it to get us through the rest of residency and fellowship. We figured that, if we kept the truck, we'd spent at least $2500 over that time in maintenance (had 100K on it)--so we figured we were paying about $2500 for reliability and safety (more airbags) and a more family friendly car.

I deeply loathe the car. We all do. DH hates driving it because it is a mom-mobile. My son hates it because he loves the truck and how high it sat. I hate it because it is non-descript and makes me miss Texas because I just think, "I wish I had our truck" every time I see it. Plus, I am not impressed with its performance. Some of its electrical stuff related to the lock is iffy, and they had to fix a funky turn signal (luckily, still under warranty at the time). It handles in a very mediocre way and is noisy, I think. It is an ugly mom-mobile with none of the performance of a Honda Odyssey or the style of a Nissan (whatever that minivan is that they make).

I hate our car, actually. I hope to get another Ford supercab truck after fellowship.

Comment

Luanne, I'm jealous - my goal is to have a restored 69 Camaro someday
                      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

DH drives my car from high school which my dad got from a friend after she thought it was too unreliable to get her to and from work(she can't believe that it is still working). It's a 93 corolla and when I got it in 99 it had 150,000 miles on it. It now has around 270,000 and is still going strong.

The other day I was thinking about what we consider our young car, a 2002 Ford Explorer. I can't believe it's 8 years old already. I hate this car. It's not nearly as reliable as the corolla and we have to have work done on it every year which is always expensive. It's nice not having car payments so we'll just keep driving these two until they die. DH really wants a minivan next.

Comment

I drive a 2000 Chevy Suburban with 217K miles on it. DH drives a 1994 Olds 88 with 200+K miles on it. We are actively in the market for new cars and I am hoping this is the last winter I will be driving the Suburban because it is NOT 4 wheel drive and let me tell you, I have had some adventures driving a humongous rear wheel drive vehicle on ice and snow. I had to drive DH's car yesterday and it is truly a POS. I can't believe he has driven it this long! His plan is to get a used Camry next and pass it on to Luke in a couple of years. Then he will get what is currently his dream car, a hybrid Ford Fusion. He won't get one now because this is the first model year for them and he won't buy a new car. For me, we are looking at a used Yukon XL or a Toyota Sequoia, with a Buick Enclave in distant third.

I think DH enjoys looking at cars online and doing the research so much that he is going to put off buying as long as he can!!!!
                          Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Re: Glamorous Life of a Doctor's Wife

I'm not sure why, but I really love this thread! LOL

Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

And then on the other extreme. We have a doctor friend (dentist!) who drives a damn brand new Bentley in her 30's. And her parents (dad also a dentist) have always each had a car that cost at least $100,000 for the 20+ years we have known them.

Comment

Originally posted by shrinkjamie View Post
                                DH drove around in a 1992 Ford Explorer until it was stolen 2 years ago. He was forced to buy a new truck! 3 months later the cops found his old truck, and arrested the dudes who stole it. DH had it detailed and used it for a few weeks instead of his new truck, because he just loooooooved that old truck. One day he opened up the glove compartment and there was pot paraphernalia in it! Apparently the cops didn't search it well enough after they found it, LOL. Hubby immediately drove it to the police station and had them confiscate the pot crap. After that the old truck was ruined for him, so he donated it to a rancher out in eastern Oregon to be used as a farm truck.
                                HAAAA! I could only imagine the look on his face when he realized his lovely old truck he was driving around had a bag of pot in it. Good thing he found it and didn't get pulled over. "Ummm no I swear this isn't mine" I couldn't imagine trying to explain that one.

Comment

Working...
                                X