Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

GWU off Probation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GWU off Probation

From The Washington Post's website this afternoon:

The medical school at George Washington University has earned its way off probation, school officials announced Wednesday.

The GWU School of Medicine and Health Sciences was put on probation in fall 2008 by its accrediting organization for being out of compliance on several standards. The school never lost its accreditation, but it was the only medical school accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education that was on probation at the time.

An investigative report by my colleague Susan Kinzie in February 2009 found that the school had deficiencies "considerably more serious" than the "mostly superficial matters" cited by school officials.

Documents showed GWU had inadequately monitored students' time with patients, that student debt levels were among the highest in the country, and that students had complained of mistreatment.

In a letter Wednesday to members of the medical school community, Dean Jim Scott wrote:

"The Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) has just informed us that our M.D. program has been removed from probation, and its accreditation has been extended for the full eight-year period. We should receive more details on its decision in the next few weeks.

We believe that through this process we have become a stronger school. I want to thank all of the students, faculty and staff who participated in this process."

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Ugh, bad memories. Stupid GWU.
      Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Following that announcement last year, I think DH pulled his application and didn't interview there. But he is very happy with where he is now. I'm glad they are off probation though! *shrug*
        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Julia- I was thinking about you and Amy when I posted that!

Jenn

Comment

DH has heard that they really did a lot of upgrading as far as library and study space goes. Would have been nice.
            Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Any time a school gets slapped with probation they always cry out that it was for minor things.

Let me be very clear...the accrediting bodies hate to put schools/programs on probation. If you get slapped with something it is because you have consistently ignored an issue, or because something it is sooo bad that it needs to be addressed asap.
              Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Working...
              X