Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Question about flying with children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about flying with children

We're flying to Florida in 3 weeks and I just saw that we've been assigned seats in an exit row.

Does anyone know if young children are allowed to sit in exit rows on an airplane? I know car seats can't be used in exit rows, but we're not bringing ours and I can't find any information about whether it's okay for little kids (ours are 2 and 4, and obviously wouldn't be able to assist in an emergency!) to sit in an exit row.

I've tried calling Delta, but their phone lines are down "due to extreme weather".

My concern is that the rest of the flight is pretty full, so if we have to move ours seats ... my nightmare scenario is that our family will be split up and our kids will be sitting in middle seats somewhere between random strangers.

Anyone know?
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

I believe one MUST be 15 or older to sit in an exit row. The age could even be higher. I would keep trying to get a hold of the airline. Is there an email address you could try e-mailing? What about calling the airport?

Last edited by L.Jane; 02-13-2010, 07:08 AM.
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

First, are you *positive* you've been assigned an exit row? In my experience (with a 6'4" DH who has to sit in the exit row to have enough legroom), that *never* happens. L.Jane is right, you have to be 15 or older (by federal law/regulation, I believe) to sit there.

Second, if you are in an exit row and have to move, and you're traveling with young kids, do *not* worry that you'll be split up. You're in primo seats; the chances of them not being able to find enough people sitting together who would want to swap with you is vanishingly small, and the flight attendants will help; they can't take off if kids are sitting in an exit row, and they don't want to deal with kids separated from parents, either, if they can help it. Also, most passengers don't want to be next to a young kid who's separated from their parent; they'll be more than willing to swap with you given that choice.

You've got 3 weeks. Don't sweat it yet. Try calling them in another week or two, when the weather's calmed down a little, and see what they say. They may tell you you're reading the chart wrong, or be able to swap you. If you never get through, see if you can handle it at the ticket counter (you'll probably be able to); if that fails, it *will* get handled once you're on the plane. If you are in an exit row, don't let the phone or ticket counter people move you away from the exit row to scattered middle seats, though; if they can't put you together somewhere else, try to make them leave you in the exit row so you'll have an easier time swapping once you're on the plane.
      Last edited by poky; 02-13-2010, 07:33 AM.
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I was going to say are you sure its not a bulkhead instead of an exit row? But I agree with poky on everything else. I flew with my aunt and her two young kids several years ago and they screwed up the seats and split us all up. My cousin who was 4 was waving at me from her middle seat several rows up when the middle seat person next to me saw it they offered to switch with her. There are still nice people that fly.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I've wondered about this-- can they really actually put small children away from their parents? Is it legal? I wouldn't fly if one of my kids was out of my eyesight sitting by a stranger (except for Kate, but she's 14-- I consider her *adult-sized*). One time we had a seat fiasco and I told the flight attendant (jokingly) that it was ok, just let the other passengers on the plane take care of the kids and I'd sit somewhere and relax. She looked at me and said, *That's not going to happen*. She missed the joke, apparently.
          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

My experience has been that if small children are seated in the exit rows the flight attendents will ask for volunteers first and then will make people move. The plane can't take off if there are kids in the exit rows so there are usually LOTs of volunteers.

Comment

Working...
            X