Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

GPS rec?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS rec?

DH will need a simple GPS to fit in a camry soon. He'll need it to be smallish- but not too small so that it's hard to see. he wants one that's simple, not too expensive, and doesn't have add ons (like bluetooth).

Any recommendations?

Garmin v Magellan?

And does anyone use the alternat mounting things-- the *pillow* style things? They look like they'd be a PITA to me, but... I'm curious...

TIA
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

I have a simple Garmin Nuvi . I have the mounting piece that suction cups to the window. I keep the plug in and mounting piece in my car in the middle console and put the actual GPS in a case and keep it in my purse. Its small enough for that, but large enough to see just fine in the car. It has really made my life easier.
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

There are some good Garmins at Costco that aren't horribly expensive, but are good little units. DH has one. He has a mount attached to his dash, but we bought one of the pillow things for when we use it in my car, and it works great; very non-slide-y surface on it.
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

We have a Garmin Nuvi that we love. But since we've gotten iPhones, we haven't used it much. It's really better than the iPhone one, but we haven't updated the maps, and we always forget to bring it when we go somewhere.
        Laurie
        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

we have a tom-tom, have had it for 3 years, and we LOVE it! Seriously I get lost just going around the block and this thing has been a life saver, free updates whenever and pretty small. our mounting thing is PITA but it still sits up right on the dash. My only regret is that we didn't buy one years ago.

Comment

Speaking of iphones, the map quest app has free turn by turn directions.
            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

We love our Garmin Nuvi....I would be house bound without it. Although I was a geography teacher at one point in my life, I can't figure out how to get anywhere without it here in Boston. I think we got it from costco a year ago.
              Danielle
              Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

thanks--

we've used the iphone mapquest app heidi-- it just seems that sometimes the iphone has a hard time finding our location... Since dh is going to be driving to houston and beyond, he's going to need something with some preloaded maps...

dh had a small magellan gps a couple of years ago but he thinks someone took it from his car at some point. he just left it in the glovebox. I'm hoping he'll take care of a new gps, b/c I think he really does need one (he calls me constantly for directions to soccer games, etc.)... He's just like the absent-minded professor tho...
                Peggy

Comment

Got a Garmin Nuvi 4 maybe more years ago and we use it often. We have only bought updates once and now it is telling us we are due for another. The only issue I have with it is that you get no warning that it is about to die. Now, we just keep it plugged - but if you were using it walking around/hiking, I'd hate to take it because of the lack of warning.

Re: Houston - that place has road issues all.the.time.....A GPS will come in handy - not helping him to get from point A to B but how to find the alternate routes when there is construction, traffic jam, accident or flood.
                  Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

I love my TomTom. Its always right when sometimes my husband's bigger and more expensive one is wrong.

Comment

Peggy - if you haven't bought yet, sign up for the eCost daily mails. They are forever selling last year's GPS for $99 or less.

Comment

Thanks for the tip!!! You should run a blog with all your shopping tips, truly!
                        Peggy

Comment

We found it hard to switch from one brand to another. We had an old TomTom and tried a new Garmin and just couldn't get used to the settings. Last Black Friday we got a great deal on a new jazzed up TomTom. Can you guys wait until a big sales event? Our old TomTom is one of the original clunky models that would constantly fall because of it's weight. I ended up mounting it on the dash with some velcro.

Comment

Originally posted by peggyfromwastate View Post
                            Thanks for the tip!!! You should run a blog with all your shopping tips, truly!
                            I should be embarrassed to add ... they're on ebates, too. I think it's only 1%, but hey ... every little bit helps!

Comment

Working...
                            X