Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Federal housing tax credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal housing tax credit

Has anyone bought a house recently and gotten their tax credit? One of DH's friends bought a house in January and is still waiting on his credit. Ugh... I was looking forward to doing some things for the new house this summer with the refund.

When it's a tax credit, you don't get a cash payment, you get a credit on your actual taxes. The DC First Time Homebuyers credit worked like that- I didn't see any $ until I filed the following year. Unless I'm completely off-base, I believe that's how this one is structured as well.

Jenn

Comment

I've heard the same as Jenn - we are planning on using ours towards a new car next spring!
      Jen
      Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

The DC credit worked so that if you were poverty striken, such as I was, since I didn't pay that much in income tax in the first place, I got the $5k stretched out over a few years (up to five I think was the rule at the time.)

Jenn

Comment

Since we had a refund and did not pay taxes, we will actually get an $8,000 check cut to us by the gov't. Also according to the IRS, you can file this with your 2009 taxes. So we should be getting our refund this year.

From the IRS page:
          First-Time Homebuyer Credit

For Qualifying Purchases in 2010

For qualifying purchases in 2010, you have the option of claiming the credit on either your 2009 or 2010 return.
          Last edited by Chrisada; 05-06-2010, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisada View Post
            Since we had a refund and did not pay taxes, we will actually get an $8,000 check cut to us by the gov't. Also according to the IRS, you can file this with your 2009 taxes. So we should be getting our refund this year.

From the IRS page:
            First-Time Homebuyer Credit

For Qualifying Purchases in 2010

For qualifying purchases in 2010, you have the option of claiming the credit on either your 2009 or 2010 return.
            Did you already file your taxes for 2009? Or are you filing an amended tax return to get the money this year? And I had heard they were behind in issuing the checks?

ETA: I just read online and it answered my question, you can get the credit on a 2009 tax return on a home bought in 2010 if you file an amended tax return or if you had gotten an extension and hadn't filed them yet.
            Last edited by MarissaNicole; 05-06-2010, 09:41 AM.
            Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

We did file, so we will be amending it. I think they are slower with issuing checks now because a lot of fraud occurred last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisada View Post
                We did file, so we will be amending it. I think they are slower with issuing checks now because a lot of fraud occurred last year.
                Thanks for that info - we are definitely going to try and take advantage of this - even if it doesn't come for a couple months it will give me A LOT of breathing room as far as time to find a new job!
                You just made my day!!!

Comment

This tax credit is actually the only reason that I agreed to even buy a house. Glad this helped Marissa!

Comment

We're still going to wait We are trying to hold off on buying a new car for as long as possible (I have a 25 mile commute to work each day). It's exciting that it's an option to do this year, though!

Good luck everyone!
                    Jen
                    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

We're also planning on saving a big chunk for when DH's car completely breaks down. Hoping it will happen next year, so that we can just do a three year lease on a car, which would get us through residency. Thank goodness, our new house is only a few miles away from the hospital. DH also claims he will ride his bike to work sometimes.

Comment

We got our credit. But we bought last summer, so it was part of our regular tax refund this year. No delays.
                        Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

We bought our place in May. We filed an amended tax return at the end of July (I think) and just got our new home buyers credit (pluse a little interest) today! So I think it only took about 6 weeks!

Hoooooray - we really need this money!

Comment

We did get ours about a few weeks ago too. Came just in time!

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild View Post
                              We got our credit. But we bought last summer, so it was part of our regular tax refund this year. No delays.
                              This is what happened when we bought our home, too. We just waited until the end of the year and filed it with our regular taxes. We ended up with a ridiculous refund.

Comment

Working...
                              X