Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

OKC Tornadoes and why DF should always listen to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OKC Tornadoes and why DF should always listen to me

First of all, MrsK, hope you are doing okay--there was some nasty stuff headed your way earlier.

I had the opportunity to chase with this guy again today and got the grand tour of Oklahoma. Ironically, for the first time in about 60 years a tornado hit Norman (right near the National Weather Center, to add even more irony--DF saw the debris cloud) and I was in Stillwater chasing at the time! It was a whopper--the first pic below. It came within about 2 miles of hitting campus and my apartment--we saw the damage path for miles and miles east. Apparently there are still people in a collapsed grocery store it hit--when we drove by on the way home it didn't look good. We hit 5 roadblocks because of powerlines and debris on the road.

e5i4p5.jpg

Another fun story--James, the "UK Storm Chaser" just brought over his "mum" from England and promised her tornadoes never hit Norman--one went through their neighborhood today. No damage to them, but it completely wiped out houses 1/4 mile away. Poor woman!

Anyway--why DF should always listen to me: Earlier in the day when we started chasing, it became pretty apparent there was a high chance of tornadic storms hitting the metro area, so I called DF and told him not to go on his normal 3 hour bike ride today. Of course he was about to leave, and whined saying it looked fine outside (what a stupid statement in Oklahoma). Just a few hours later, major tornadoes had hit and killed people in his 2 favorite cycling "haunts." I'm glad he listened!

Sadly, I didn't see much, just a few really close cool spinups that happened too fast for me to get pics, and the scud and dust clouds below. Still, Oklahoma knows how to say goodbye with a bang!

25urwvb.jpgmh63w1.jpg
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

I'm so glad you had a great time, and I appreciated the warning about rush hour. I wish you'd gotten to see a tornado today, though!
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

We got out of Kansas just before the storms hit sounds like Wichita has straight lines winds and 100 mph gusts, BIL was supposed to fly out but couldn't. Hope everyone is ok!
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Yikes! One of our friends just moved back home to OKC - and considered the weather to be a "welcome home" present I hope everyone is alright!
        Jen
        Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Working...
        X