Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

4 year old hair style - need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 year old hair style - need advice

I'm purposely NOT putting this in the parenting section because I'm hoping for advice from anyone who has it - not just the parents.

DD (4 1/2) wants to get her hair cut like her brother's. He has a really stereotypical boy's haircut - short all around. Needless to say, we're not going with that style. Right now, her hair falls just below her shoulders. She has no bangs, and I'm pretty unwilling to give her bangs - they took forever to grow out the first time. So, I'm thinking of getting her a bob - just above chin length. If anyone has other ideas of cute, low maintenance styles, let me know! Who knew that this was the kind of thing I'd be worrying about.

I think this is to distract myself from utter boredom (or putting off the cleaning, etc I should be doing) as DH is working all day today, and everyone I know who lives here has Father's Day plans.
    -Deb
    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

My daughter had a bob at that age. It is cute and no work. My other suggestion would be to put it in two french braids each morning. That's a cute style that stands up to wear and tear -- and feels like you have no hair. I'm not a big fan of super short on little girls. Before you know it, they will want it super long. Of course, my daughter tried to grow hers to her waist this year and is now bugging me to go get it cut for the summer with "layers, mom. I want layers." It is interesting to see the mother daughter issues from the mother side for a change.
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Maybe something like this: http://www.beautifulhairstyles.com/s...ssicaalba.html

Short, but still feminine and stylish. Very girlie!
      Veronica
      Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Re: 4 year old hair style - need advice

I "spiked" my hair when I was in 2nd grade bc my mom was sick of me complaining about my hair. I wore it short for 2 years until enough people made fun of me that I was forced to grow it out. When it was spiked, I refused to wear earrings and only wore jeans/shorts and had a he-man lunch box. I don't think anyone thought I was a girl during that time. Whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Hm...this might fit the bill - these are pictures of a knitting friend of mine (she's showing off a little shrug she knitted for herself - ignore the posing. ):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12326617@N06

It's kindof a modification of a short bob; the back's a little shorter than the front.
          Sandy
          Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

The style that I always do one young girls. Is a modified bob. They call it is swing bob with stacked layers in the back. Shorter in the back with a little swing, slightly longer in the front. So they can put the hair behind the ears .
            Brandi
            Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

My grandmother chopped all my hair off when I was in 2nd grade- it WAS cute (a pixie cut) and obviously I wasn't damaged too much by the experience since I've worn it short almost ever since. BUT- my experience with bobs with my hair is that my hair isn't straight enough to hang right. It was always pinging out somewhere- that's why I have to either go short or long. Of course mine is quite literally sticking up all over the place right now. (on purpose)

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by bokelley View Post
                The style that I always do one young girls. Is a modified bob. They call it is swing bob with stacked layers in the back. Shorter in the back with a little swing, slightly longer in the front. So they can put the hair behind the ears .
                That sounds so cute!!!
                Tara
                Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by bokelley View Post
                  My friend who cuts my kids hair had just done that to another friend's daughter when I took my toddler in for his haircut last week. It was super cute!!
                  Veronica
                  Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Thanks Brandi (and everyone else) - this is what I'm going to try for (just crossing my fingers that the girl at Cookie Cutters does it well). DD is so excited for her haircut, she can barely stand it (and they don't even open for three hours). We love haircut day in our house!!!
                    -Deb

Comment

Can't wait to see pics. This is by far the most popular hair cut right now with young girls. Hope she loves it!!!
                      Brandi
                      Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Thank you so much. She loves it and I love it. She's so four years old right now - she let me take a before pic, but we still can't get an after pic. Maybe tomorrow she'll be a bit more cooperative! DH was pushing for DS to get a mow-hawk (he's 2 - I think he's a little young, but whatever), but the girl couldn't get it right, so he ended up with a little buzz cut that looks so cute!
                        -Deb

Comment

Working...
                        X