Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

"I Love the 80s"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I Love the 80s"...

Has anyone else gotten into this show on VH-1? Being a child of the 80s, it's such a nostalgic trip and I LOVE some of the commentary!! I swear, everytime it comes on I get totally sucked in. The other night my husband came home at about 8:00 and another episode was starting, and even though we hadn't seen each other in about 2 days and even though I had some things I wanted to talk to him about, we both just sat there completely mesmerized by this show!
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

the 80's

OK...I was browsing triying to find the survey questions post so I could change the survey and I came across this...

My husband watches that show quite a bit..and we are both hooked on 80's music and movies! We have a pretty large 80's music collection that we've acquired over the years.....nothing can compare to the 80's!!!!!

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

My husband is beyond fascinated with the eighties. It is kind of weird. Of course, he thinks that it is kind of weird that I like country. We have almost come to blows over the car radio stations.

Kelly
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Yep, we love it too. We also love their "where are they now" shows.
        Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Us too, I have to admit.

Sally
          Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

The 80's

Well...speaking of the 80's...what are your favorite movies/music from that time period? I have to admit that back then I absolutely loved Madonna...she was a lot more tame, of course, then she is now...but at the time she seemed so 'wild' to me...and I was so shy....I used to dress like her That was back in her lace days.. When I was in my Madonna mood, I'd wear pink leggings with my dad's white work shirt (wiht a neon pink and white striped tank top underneath), a yellow neon tie 8O ,a lace headband and lace SHOES.... When I was a senior in high school, I taught vacatio bible school and used this same get-up for a clown costume Back in the 10th grade though it was 'fashion'.

True to myself, I loved 'Desperately Seeking Susan' as well as the standard 16 candles, Breakfast Club, etc.....

ahhhh..memories...

kris

Comment

I enjoyed Madonna also, although I didn't dress like her, and Cyndi Lauper, too. I was also nuts about Hall & Oates, and still love their old songs. Movies....Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club, Say Anything, Risky Business, Top Gun -- and I was in college for this one, but I LOVED Dirty Dancing (the movie and the music). I am sure I will think of more now that I have gotten started.........Oh yeah -- can't forget this one........Ferris Buehler's Day Off makes me laugh every single time I see it. And The Blues Brothers is one of my very favorite movies -- great music in that one, as well.

Sally
              Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I loved Wham, Yaz, Depeche Mode, Information Society, REM, and my favorite group of all-time U2 (Joshua Tree will always be my favorite record).
                Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                With fingernails that shine like justice
                And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Ferris Buehler is still an awesome movie and Depeche Mode...I'd almost forgotten about them....

kris

Comment

I love Ferris Buehler's Day Off! Also loved Top Gun (watched that too many times) and The Breakfast Club. Now I am going to sound really old and cratchety, but why don't they make movies like that anymore?

I know this wasn't from the 80's but it enjoyed a revival then -- The Monkees. I watched the show on Nickelodeon all the time and even went to the reunion concert tour. Hey, hey, we're The Monkees.....

Comment

Well, since I graduated from High School in '84 and college in '88 and got my MS in '91- I'm truly a child of the 80's. So, in no particular order-

BRUUUUCE. Started with the River and I haven't gotten over my obsession yet. Plus all of the groups from my punk rock/ new wave days- the Psychadelic Furs, Let's Active, the Ramones, Adam Ant, Billy Idol, the Dead Kennedys, Black Flag (Henry Rollins is a DC Native) Rick and I have the most amazing record collection from the 80's. that's why he bought me a turntable for Christmas- so we could actually listen to half of our music!

I was more into the Black (but not goth) clothes black jeans, black boots, black jacket, black eyeliner, black mascara....

I never really watched too much TV but Thirtysomething was a requirement in college. Part of the Thursday Night Lineup. (and then we could go out, but not a minute before.)

I reember avoiding taking the computer classes in college because you HAD to learn a programming language and my dad (MS in Computer Science in '73) basicaly told me not to waste my time that someday SOON, we'd never even know the languages that our coomputers were programmed with, unless we wanted to! We got our first Mac in '84. I'm sure I'm one of the last years to get a typewriter for a High School graduation present!

So -there's a quick trip down memory lane and now, I'm off to the airport!

Jenn

Comment

Oh, I loved Billy Idol! MonyMony is awesome! I forgot to include Duran Duran - I really liked them as well.
                        Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                        With fingernails that shine like justice
                        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I LOVED Duran Duran and listened to that record ALL the time. My poor parents. Also loved Flock of Seagulls....in fact that tape mysteriously disappeared....hmmm.

That is too funny about the typewriter, Jenn. We were in an office the other day and Bryn saw one and was just fascinated by it. She kept asking what it was and what it did. I told her it was like a printer. It's a printer? Well, kind of. She typed on a few sheets of paper and thought it was great fun. Much more fun and instant gratification than a computer. Who knows if she'll ever do that again! Typewriters are hard to come by these days.

Comment

I am definitely an 80s person. You have mentioned most of my favorites. Music wise I listened to Madonna, Journey, Styx, Michael Jackson (in his more normal years! ), Duran Duran, Little River Bands Greatest Hits, Def Leppard and Queen. A little later on .... Wham, Depeche Mode (though that music was depressing to me after awhile), Yaz, Huey Lewis ... Yes, I was very eclectic. I liked a little bit of everything.

I LOVED Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I went to the first screening in my little town and got a poster with Matthew Broderick that said "Leisure Rules". I took it to college with me and even my little brother asked if he could have it. I also loved Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club and Top Gun. I am sure there are more.

My hair was so scary at that time and it took hours to get all those curls all around my head!!! I guess that all started with Farrah Fawcett and everyone had the same hairstyle only in order for my hair to stay that way I had to have a perm. I did wear headbands and I even had a pair of leg warmers.

I loved the 80s. It makes me smile!

Robin

Comment

Working...
                            X