Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The Cheap-O Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cheap-O Challenge

OK...who is willing to join me? I am going to challenge myself in July to not buy anything new....this includes coffee at Starbucks, Diet Coke from the Drive-Thru....or lunch for the kids and I at Subway. No going out to movies, buying toys or clothes....I'm reining this puppy in! Obviously, things like groceries are a must, but I feel like we piddle away so much money on nothing and at the end of the day, we are not saving and are spending every dollar we earn. It's crazy!

Who can I get to join in?

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Re: The Cheap-O Challenge

I would but since we are moving to a newcity and I've got a girl on the way, I would fail miserably!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
      . . . I've got a girl on the way . . .
      Wait...did I miss the gender announcement from earlier? I didn't know you knew she's a girl! That's awesome! Congrats.

Comment

Kris - I.DO.THE.SAME. THING!!!

I want to play BUT I will be traveling two weeks out of the month. How about if I say, I will only buy bare necessities while away and stick to your plan when back at home?
        Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

I would fail rather quickly but I like the idea a lot!
          Danielle
          Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

I'd be in come September - once work starts again and house craziness has settled!
            Jen
            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I'm getting a big "More power to ya, Kris!" vibe from all these posts.

After our ridiculously expensive trip to OH/PA last month -- the one that had no reason to be ridiculously expensive -- I'm trying to focus more on WHAT I'm buying, WHAT I'm spending, and where exactly all of that $$ is going. We literally spent $1300 over 12 days on gas, food, and random items we'd forgotten to pack, and this is when 8 of those days all 5 of us were staying with family (and for the other 4 I was the only one on my own and ate 2 meals/day). We did a lot of visiting around and meeting people at restaurants, but it's not as though we had to eat 3 meals/day on our own tab. I was just stunned when I added it all up.

I can't say I'd pledge along with you, but I admire your plan, and I hope to do a "lite" version from the side.

Comment

Care to reduce it to a one week challenge? Or a daily challenge - and we see who can get the most days in the month of July? I'd also love to follow this idea in theory but in reality it is our vacation month. We've got two small trips planned and one kid's birthday. So, I will be shopping. Still, I'd love to cut back on a daily basis.

I've been doing a day to day challenge to not drive anywhere. I find that some days I can stay out of the car entirely but other days that would be impossible. Still, on the days that I can walk or bike to my destinations, I find that I do to meet this expectation.
                Angie
                Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

oooh - I like the daily challege. Way more manageable for me. I think, like calories, it helps to track everyithing you spend or eat.
                  Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

I'm with you, Kris! Count me in!

Comment

We're at such bare minimum spending right now that I'm participating involuntarily! We are heading to Colorado for four days later in July so there will be at least one hotel room night, car rental and food that's going to hit. and I have to take 4 out of the 5 animals to the vet- there won't be ANYthing left over after that little trip.

But I'm in- I'm sure I can reign in the Bill Miller Baked potato and side salad combo that I crave at least once a week. ($2.69 w/ no drink)

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
                        We're at such bare minimum spending right now that I'm participating involuntarily! We are heading to Colorado for four days later in July so there will be at least one hotel room night, car rental and food that's going to hit. and I have to take 4 out of the 5 animals to the vet- there won't be ANYthing left over after that little trip.

But I'm in- I'm sure I can reign in the Bill Miller Baked potato and side salad combo that I crave at least once a week. ($2.69 w/ no drink)

Jenn
                        Whereabouts in CO? Let me know if you have any time for a meet up! There are a few of us out here!! *end hijack*
                        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Some YMCA camp near Winter Park- we are flying in on the 21st to acclimate to the elevation and then Thursday head to camp. We will be doing nothing in Denver on the 21st.

Jenn

Comment

The Cheap-O Challenge

Originally posted by DCJenn

Jenn
                            Wow. I live in the wrong city. Can't get anything to eat here for that price.

I'm in for the daily/weekly challenge. Somewhat involentarly due to being flat broke.
                            Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

I'm in. We have spent every dollar we have on this new house and moving for residency. I am sick to my stomach just thinking about it. We've been eating fast food for the last month. Hence, the cease in my weight loss journal.

Comment

Working...
                              X