Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Random little question about Latin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random little question about Latin

So, my boyfriend took Latin as a language in high school and he always thought that was unusual (as did I) and that most high schools didn't offer this option. Then someone in his study group mentioned that they had taken Latin and it turned out that fully half of the (small) group had gone to high schools where it was offered as a language. Now he's wondering if this is actually far more common than he thought.
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Our high school (hubby and I went to the same) did offer Latin. I don't think that Latin was offered across the district though. We also had Russian as an option. I think those two languages were offered because there were teachers there available to teach it. I think the standard fare for our district was: Spanish, French, German.
    Eric took Latin and while it could have been a valuable, rigorous couse -- it was a joke. The teacher was a total push-over who had no control of her classroom. A lot of people took the class for an easy "A". I think Eric took it because it was sometimes a fun class and a lot of his friends were in it. A good example of how bad it was: for a final class project Eric and a friend brought in Roman Meal bread and discussed, uh, how it was Roman and Romans spoke Latin. And yes, he is a doctor today!

Comment

Oddly enough, I thought all high schools offered the choices of Latin, Spanish, German, and French to their students. In my school district and the surrounding ones in Dallas/Ft.Worth that was the case. Perhaps it is just a regional thing?

I have to add that there were occasional schools that had the resources to teach Japanese or Russian - but that was not common from my observations.
      Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
      With fingernails that shine like justice
      And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

It wasn't offered in my high school....when you graduate with 44 others, you are lucky to get Spanish and French, both taught by the same teacher who got her job because she was the wife of the high school principal....needless to say my foreign language is lacking.

Si
        Oui

Comment

That's funny Matt!
          We had only Spanish and German in our high school of 600. I took 2 years of Spanish and I think if I were in Spain I could ask for a hamburger or a bathroom, but that's about it!
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I went to a large (540 in my graduating class) high school and they didn't offer Latin, just German, Spanish, and French. I think a few years later they started offering Japanese, though, because our community got a Subaru-Isuzu plant to build there -- on the road known as the "Bataan Memorial Highway", which caused quite a bit of controversy!

Sally
            Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Yes we had it. My daughter took it for three years in high school, and she tells me now how glad she is that we "encouraged" her to take it.
              Luanne
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Our high school was pretty big 2200+ people. The offered Spanish, French and German when I started as a fresh....but they cut German during my soph year....so now all they offer is Spanish and French, and I think French is on it's way out as well....then again I am from South Florida, so Spanish is the best option....unless they decided to offer Creole...

Michele
                Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

It wasn't offered, but I took 6 years of Spanish, which helped me decipher a lot of the Latin roots. I wish it had been offered--I would have taken it.

Comment

No, my high school did not offer Latin . Spanish was offered and that was the foreign language that I chose. It really helped when I moved to Dallas/Ft.Worth and being here in West Palm Beach.

Comment

Working...
                    X