Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Handling Night Rotation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handling Night Rotation

I admit this morning, I realized that all my bitching on his first rotation with plastics was not that big of a deal, considering I just realized starting July 31 and until Sept 11, my SO will be working Trauma Nights. This means, he will go to the hospital at 5 (before I get home from work) and will come home probably about 8, right when I'm leaving for work.

How have you all handled this transition? Any tips to making the five minutes you do see each other meaningful?

I've tried to reply to this twice and my internet connection dropped twice. Here I go again.

That's a long stretch of night float. I'm halfway through a month right now and I hate it. It's hard to make the most of 5 minutes -- especially if you maintain a home together. You are likely to be discussing chores and other logistics during those 5 minutes. Also, don't count on him being home before you go to work. It's 10AM now and my DH is still at the hospital.

I use night float to work late and catch up on girly stuff that my husband won't enjoy -- renting chick flicks, coloring my hair, calling my girlfriends. . . Since you are childless, you can actually go out too! Make your weekends meaningful. Is your SO working Friday night? If not, you may be able to look forward to zombie-free Sundays.
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Handling Night Rotation

Night float sucks and next Monday we get to start five weeks worth of it! It feels like weekend call all the time. We don't have dinner as a family. Weekends end on Sunday afternoon. (early release on Friday doesn't really make up for this.) The only positive is that there is no weekend call during that time. NF just has to be endured.

Comment

I'm sorry, I wish I could give you some advice or words of encouragement.

If possible maybe leave notes for eachother and try and text when possible.

Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

We, uh... handle night float badly. We bicker a lot. It's a work in progress, and fortunately it's only a couple months a year. The way DH's program is structured, night float months always include a week of vacation, so that helps. We usually need the recovery time.

I'm sorry. It sucks.
          Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

uh...and we planned on his vacation being at the end of night float.

maybe that wasn't so smart.

Current argument status, I moved the TV so i could watch it while i made lasagna. Now DH is upstairs pouting because i wanted to finish my movie that i started.

God this is gonna be a long five years.

Comment

Let him pout.

I have to say, the times when my husband is gone- for whatever reason - I don't mind in the least. Even with this year long thing- I miss him a TON during the day but man, I love having my bed to myself. If I could only convince him that we would be better off with separate bedrooms like the Victorians did. Or twin beds like my grandparents...

Jenn

Comment

Hugs to you.. I can't really offer advice, have not been there. I just wanted to offer hugs to you.
                Cheryl~wife to MS3 and Mommy to our two beautiful daughters...

http://simplyimmersed.blogspot.com/
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crick...20671954714125

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaNicole View Post
                  I'm sorry, I wish I could give you some advice or words of encouragement.

If possible maybe leave notes for eachother and try and text when possible.

Ditto.

And don't underestimate the power of a quickie...seriously.
                  Tara
                  Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

More powerful than you realize!!!!!!!
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
                      Ditto.

So funny you should say this because I have been fighting off talking about this, but I feel like I need to!! I feel like our rolls have switched, he comes home and is dog tired and when we are sitting on the couch I don't think of IT, and then when we go to bed that's when I'm like heeeeeeeeeeyyyy lover face. However, he looks at me like I'm out of my mind because we are in bed and its' time to sleep so we've had lengthy discussions because I've said we have to stop using "i'm tired" as an excuse..........

Does this mean that I for now on have to initiate it whenever since he NEVER thinks about it? I just want him to initiatie with with me sometimes! Not all the time. Just I want to feel wanted suddenly too.

Am I the only one?

Comment

They are dog tired during PGY-1, and stressed, and treated like crap most of the day. You may do most of the initiating for a while but that will change. Make sure he knows that you are just talking about a quickie, not a long drawn out period with candles, flowers, lots of foreplay, etc. That can come later when you have more time together. For now it is important to connect when you are actually in the same location for more than 30 min. Things will fall into place, you are only three weeks into July. Hang in there...and have fun when you can
                        Tara
                        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by MelissaMac View Post
                          Am I the only one?
                          Short answer -- no.

1st year hits everyone differently, but is almost universally difficult. As he gets into the swing of things and figures out how the higher ups want stuff done and gets his bearings, he will begin to mellow.

And no, it won't always be this way.

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
                            ...all I can say is that rechargeable batteries are a good investment.

Comment

I haven't had to experience night rotations yet... but I'm sure they are coming soon. It's good to get a preview of what we're in for

Comment

Working...
                              X