Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Hall Pass requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hall Pass requested

Hi all-

We made it to Maryland- our plane was a little delayed but Southwest made up the difference and we were only 10 minutes late. Today dad and I head to Pittsburgh for a family reunion of people we've never met- all descendants of one John Sperling from Witzenhausen, Germany. (and shout out of thanks to Alison who helped me figure out the German genealogy stuff!) and then off to Ohio to see the former family farms and find the Presbyterian Church where everyone is planted.

My dad is GIDDY. Seriously, he's made notebooks of pictures and is ready to go RIGHT NOW. I told my mother that she shouldn't be surprised about how demanding my nephew JSM the 4th is because JSM the 2nd is pretty bad and he's 68. (and yes, the "S" is in fact, for Sperling...)

Jenn

Sounds great Jenn! I'm sure it's going to be a lovely time!

Comment

You are going to have such great stories to tell!!! Have a blast Jenn!!
      Tara
      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Have fun!!
        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

So fun! Enjoy! And take time for yourself while you've got someone else to help care for NDH as well.

xoxo

Comment

Sounds awesome! Enjoy and have safe travels!

Comment

Have fun!!!
              Laurie
              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

What a great way to finish out the summer! I can't wait to her about the reunion.
                Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

OMG- what a trip we had. In a nutshell- there will never be any Sperling family basketball players! We are all short and wear glasses.

The Ohio portion of the trip was really interesting- everyone died except for my GGgrandfather and his older sister- he had tons of younger half siblings and the genealogist found all of the guardianship files for them, and their death certificate (everyone died from TB). She found wills and deeds and figured out the family properties. Dad and I drove past what once was 160 acres of Boyd family farm (my GGgrandmother's side). It was so unbelievably hilly. I can't imagine trying to farm that with drafthorses. It was amazing. OF course, as we're driving in to Carroll County Ohio big black clouds started rollling in, the winds were blowing, and it turned that green/black color in the sky. I turned to my dad and said, "maybe the Martins really ARE cursed! Maybe we shouldn't have come back!"

On the way back we stopped back in Pittsburgh and saw my grandmother who just turned 94. She's so flippin' funny.

anyway- finally back at mom and dads after having a dude free evening with my husband in DC.

J

Comment

What an amazing trip! I'm so glad you got some time with your husband, too!
                    Laurie
                    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Wow...What an awesome experience, Jenn!

I'm glad you enjoyed it ... AND that you got ot have a dude free evening! LOL

Kris
                      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Neat!
                        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

That sounds like a really great trip.
                          Luanne
                          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Off to Antique's Roadshow in a few hours! We're taking a vase that belonged to my great-grandparents (dad's side) , a purse that was my great-grandmother's on my mom's side and my great-grandmother's bridal fan (ivory and lace from 1906) We also are taking a belt made from beads that the same great-grandmother (Dad's side) was given from a Native American family when they lived in Western Canada. We took all of the stuff that we can't find on ebay- the stuff someone actually needs to look at to determine value. The fan we're taking to find out where in the area to have it restored.

Wish me luck! Maybe mom and I will be on TV.

Jenn

Comment

Good Luck!
                              -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                              Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                              Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X