Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Adventures in Apartment Renting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adventures in Apartment Renting

When I got home from my trip to Dallas I find out that J has realized that the AC vent in our bedroom is leaking. Has he done anything about it? No. So today I pulled out the bed and turned in a maintenance form. The maintenance guy comes about an hour later. I have been pretty impressed how fast maintenance gets to things here when its important (when its not, they just never fix it). So he comes in, cleans it all up. While he is there, I figure I will get him on an unimportant thing, because, otherwise it will never get fixed. Our bathroom door is a PITA. It never shuts right. So I show the guy and he brings his electric saw like thing (I do not know those technical terms for tools) and starts shaving down the top of the door. ITS FANTASTIC. The door shuts. THEN as he starts to clean all the shavings with his super duper vacuum thingy the power blows. I had forgotten that I never use the bathroom outlets because my hairdryer blows it every time. So we flip the breaker and it comes back on. Then he uses another outlet... and yes again it blows. Now he is coming back on Monday to work on the breaker... Did I tell you I had to get a whole new toilet a month ago because the handle broke? My complex has got to wonder what I do to shit... or I just have the worst luck ever... Luckily I find this all hilarious. I think the maintenance guy thought I was crazy because I was just laughing every time the power went out.

ETA (oh and to add to the adventure the cat HIDES in the bathroom, so I had to keep pulling him out of the bathroom so the guy could do the work and its me chasing the cat around the apt.)
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

This is exactly why I love renting. I never have to fix or pay for anything that breaks!! Perfect for broke and unhandy folks like me and DH!

Comment

I loved renting - there are pros and cons no doubt - BUT I miss the days of calling someone to come and fix crap and not having to worry about it. Glad to hear you will soon be cool, while blow drying your hair behind a door that shuts.
      Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Oh, I so miss having a maintenance guy. Now I have to find an electrician, a plumber, an arborist, a... who fixes doors, anyway? Yeah, enjoy renting.
        Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

That's great that you got him to fix other "unimportant" stuff while he was there and it is leading to the breaker being fixed! And lol about the cat! You think he would hide someplace else with all of the activity in there.

I agree about the important versus the unimportant. I think the maintenance people must have thought I was OCD because I made a list of all of the minor things that were wrong when we moved in and gave it to them. I am definitely not going to be charged for these things when we move in 2-3 years. And nearly all of those things are still unfixed/unresolved.
          Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Yes. This is why I am so afraid of buying. I Love that I can just sit back and let the maintenance guy do his work with out worrying abotu the bill. I do want to home own someday... but right now I am just not ready for that challenge.
            -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
            Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
            Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I could've written your post back in the day when we rented in west bloomfield i always had maintenance coming for 1 thing or another it was great i knew they must have thought I was a nuerotic w/all the fix it request

Comment

Forgive the no punctuation
                i use the voice to text sometimes to post

Comment

When I got home from my trip to Dallas I find out that J has realized that the AC vent in our bedroom is leaking. Has he done anything about it? No.
                  EXACT same thing happened to us on Sunday--as the landlord was on a flight to Cali for a two week business trip. It's fixed now, but this is the second time the AC has broken and DH doesn't say anything about it until I get home and it is creeping above 80 degrees...JUST TELL ME THESE THINGS! OR WALK NEXT DOOR AND TELL THE LANDLORD. AND YES, THE AC IS THAT BIG HUMMING BOX IN THE BACKYARD HOW CAN YOU BE SMART ENOUGHT TO GET INTO MED SCHOOL AND NOT KNOW THAT !!! And then he get's annoyed that it is hot.

End rant.
                  Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by L.Jane View Post
                    My complex has got to wonder what I do to shit... or I just have the worst luck ever...
                    LOL LJ OMG! I guess if your toilet broke they would wonder that *winks* jk Sounds like a total movie! It's great you have a sense of humor, makes terrible situations a lot more tolerable to handle! Poor Jack, no where to run!

Comment

Originally posted by Pebbles View Post
                      LOL LJ OMG! I guess if your toilet broke they would wonder that *winks* jk
                      LOL - I misread her post at first and thought the same thing! Use the kitty box?

Long day here. Needed a laugh!

Comment

Working...
                      X