Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Adventures in home-ownership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adventures in home-ownership

In case you renters need anything to make you feel better...

We rented this house for a year to recover from our huge loss in Ohio. Finances are starting to balance out and DH has been assured that he will make partner on his anniversary date, so we decided to purchase the house a month ahead of schedule and take advantage of the great mortgage rates.

About a week later...our A/C goes out. I don't want to sound melodramatic - we actually have dual-zone A/C, and a home warranty. So, even though it went out during record heat indexes, not such a huge deal, right? Until the HVAC guy comes and misdiagnosis the problem. He then comes back and the part he needs is literally not available in any state throughout the Midwest. We've now been without our second, large A/C for two weeks. I've been on the phone with the home warranty company at least three times a day. Those calls are followed by calls to the HVAC company. Our smaller A/C cannot keep up with the heat, and now we're worried about putting too much strain on that.

Two days ago, the heat finally broke, so while I haven't been able to cook for a couple of weeks (I don't want to heat the house up too much - it's about 90 degrees in here during the day), we can finally open windows and get it to cool down. Last night, DD comes to find me to tell me that the dog, who has never had an accident, peed in the basement. I go down to investigate and find that I actually have a small flood going on in my basement. DH is of course at work. I have a neighbor come help me get everything cleaned up, carpet pulled back, and wet padding cut out and drug to the curb. Today, a plumber comes out to let me know that the leak was actually caused by me not turning the faucet off completely after filling the kiddie pool.

I am so tired and annoyed! I just want a boring day with no phone calls or service people in my home. Here's hoping that we have A/C by next week!
    -Deb
    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Ugh. I am so sorry. That really really stinks. And yes... these stories make me fear home ownership. I hope your AC comes back soon!
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I hear you! I'm sorry you are going through all these issues with the house. Hopefully things will get better soon! I am going through a similar situation, which is making me really think about the carefree days of renting. This is DH and my first house--we had always rented before that. We've only been in the house a short time, and already we've had to deal with a number of problems, most recently the roof is leaking and there is a water stain on the family room ceiling. I think owning a house is stressful, and a huge drain on one's time. I'm having trouble seeing the positives about owning versus the negatives right now. Renting was so easy--just write a rent check every month, and if there's a problem the landlord deals with it. I think I preferred when I didn't have to think so much about housing--it was just there (the rental) and there was no stress.

Comment

Oh Deebs, that is just your luck - yuck!
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Ugh, such horrible luck. Hopefully it all works out sooner rather than later. I'm still having PTSD from our flood 2 years ago and have decided we'll definitely be renting during residency.
          Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Working...
          X