Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The fate of the Newsletter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The fate of the Newsletter

The beginning of the new PGY also means the beginning of the new year for the iMSN print newsletter. As most of you know, the newsletter became print-based about 2 years ago. We now have 86 subscribers whose subscriptions are supported by a minority of members. (Luanne comes to mind as the biggest supporter )

We have been discussing options for the newsletter since it has grown so much. When the newsletter only had 10-20 subscribers, making the copies and mailing them was not a significant financial investment every other month. With 86 subscribers now, it has become a much larger amount of money. The mailing alone of the newsletters every other month costs $32.00. Printing of the newsletter had been done at the hospital where Thomas works on off hours, but the volume of papers being copied has resulted in us needing to find a copy shop to do the work. That represents another financial investment. This is in addition to the server (.com) costs of $14.95/ month and annual $30 for the .org name.

I really enjoy working on the newsletter, and I think that the articles have continued to get better and better with the involvement of more members....but I thought I'd bring this issue to a community vote to help with the decision making process:
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Kris,
    I have to say I really love getting the newsletter in the mail! The articles are always so good and I read it cover to cover. I have to confess that I have never gotten around to paying for it, though. I meant to, but I keep forgetting. I will send a check today, though!
    Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Newsletter

Well, Sue, maybe we should include an option for both print or PDF? I don't know. I am also less likely to read something online/print it out...I tend to enjoy getting subscriptions to things...just a personal preference, I guess. We'll just have to wait and see how the poll pans out and then we can all come to a decsision. I'll have to figure out how to get the pdf thing up and running if need be. I know that it is possible to get 5 for free before having to register, and I don't know the cost of registering. If I'm not mistaken, there is also some kind of a PDF mod for the phpnuke..I may look into installing that as well. We'll see. I'll be sorry to see the print newsletter go, because it was kind of...progress...and I had hoped that someday we could turn it into something bigger...but it just may be the way that this goes. In any case...I'll hold onto my vote until later.

kris

Comment

I voted "I don't know", but I do enjoy the newsletter. I think it is worth more than 6.50 and am willing to pay more if we choose to keep it.
        Luanne
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I don't know

I don't know You've paid for most of the shipping this year Well, we'll just have to see where it takes us. We'll let the poll go for awhile and then see where it takes us...looks like we've got some decisions to make this summer.

kris

Comment

PS

PS...if you don't want the newsletter, unsubscribe..it won't hurt any feelings!

kris

Comment

How do you do that?
              Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
              Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
              Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

unsubscribe

Julie, just email me your address/name that the newsletter is under and I'll delete you from the list 8)

kris

Comment

It is still cheaper than therapy!!!! My next check is on the way.
                  Luanne
                  Luanne
                  wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Plus the server space for the site itself costs money, as well, no?

(Postage I understand--when it the administrative side of a website I'm ignorant; please enlighten me. Heaven forbid I should ever be procrastinating on a large project and not have the medspouse board to turn to. )
                    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

money, money, money

I gladly foot the bill for the server costs...and the admins (there are several of us now) all chip in. It is less of an issue. Luanne, close your checkbook..you are the check writer extraordinaire and I can not in good conscience accept one more check from you this year! Good Grief, Woman!

The only reason that I say that those that don't feel like they are getting a benefit out of the newsletter should unsubscribe (and I don't mean that in a negative sense at all) is that it would cut down on postage and copies....

At the end of the day, I doubt very seriously that the newsletter will disappear...it may change forms or be available either as a print or pdf file.

This poll will at least determine the interest.....We won't make a decision immediately....we'll extend the length of the poll to include the July/August newsletter so that we can direct the subscribers to the poll or provide them with some way of expressing their wants.

Thanks everyone for voting and for the feedback.

kris

Comment

Kris,
                        I haven't voted yet because I don't know which choice to pick. I would like to see the newsletter continue but really don't mind if it is by post or PDF. It is fun to get something happy in the mail, though.
                        I receive a parenting newsletter by email with a link to the PDF file and I print it and read it every month. It is very easy!
                        If the vote is to go to PDF file it would be nice to have a giving guideline for the server and .org name -- i would help chip in for that. And if the newsletter is mailed I will contribute for that too.

Comment

I just voted to have it as a PDF file----but really don't have a right to vote since I have never really seen a newsletter. Does it automatically come in the mail when you register here??? How does that work?? I did receive an email yesterday about this subject. Was that email a newsletter??? I'm sorry if these are dumb questions. I am willing to contribute to help "the cause" if needed. It's not right for only a few people to foot the bill. But I don't think that med student spouses or new residents should have to pay anything. Funny, my dh is still in limbo searching for his first attending job---and I'm already spending his money.

Is there a need for the snail-mail version??? Are there people who subscribe to that who may not have access to a computer??

Comment

newsletter

Lunatic (gosh, I love that uname!)....If you look on the left side of your screen under Website Updates I've placed the PDF file there...I'll check your profile and see if I can email the url to you just in case.

kris

Comment

It just seems like it could be easier to have it here online. I mean, we are here already, just click and there it is. Makes sense to me to have PDF.

Comment

Working...
                              X