Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

home sick:(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home sick:(

I have made friends, joined groups and kept busy, but today is one of those days that I really miss my family
    I even thought about packing my car and going on a road trip....

Originally posted by thegirlnextdoor View Post
    ...today is one of those days that I really miss my family
    I get like that occasionally. Until I remember that it also means my MIL is most of a continent away, too.

Comment

We have not lived in our home town for the past 3 years I don't know if I will ever get used to living 900 miles away.
      I hope we can move back home for residency, but I don't want to get my hopes up...

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
        I get like that occasionally. Until I remember that it also means my MIL is most of a continent away, too.

That is true! I think I will just go back and visit my side of the family. def not the MIL, we have too many issues. More like she has too many! I was just saying yesterday that I could write a book all of the crazy things she has done to us and the rest of her family. I have kept all of the crazy e-mails from her just in case I decide to one day write a book.

Comment

I have lived away from home for 9-10 years and I still have days where it hits me and I am extremely homesick. The funny thing is that in that time I have lived in 4 different places and I get homesick for all of them in different ways! I have recently been missing Texas (my last home) like CRAZY! (I would kill for a breakfast taco). It's tough, and sometimes I cry on those days but they pass and I realize that home truly is "where the heart is" and if my husband and my animals are here then I am doing just fine. And if it's really bad I just call my mom and my sisters and have a bitch session, that always helps too! As my mom always says try and "keep a happy heart" and feel better!

Comment

Aw, I can only imagine how much it stinks to live so far away from family

Comment

Originally posted by thegirlnextdoor View Post
              We have not lived in our home town for the past 3 years I don't know if I will ever get used to living 900 miles away.
              I hope we can move back home for residency, but I don't want to get my hopes up...
              The homesickness may never go away. You learn to live with that longing. We moved 2000 miles away from family for medical school and hoped to go back for residency. Well, we moved 260 miles west [about 1700 miles short of home] for residency. It's been 7 years since we moved from home. It will be at least 3 more before we even have the possibility to move back home. It's best to start living today, because with medicine if you're waiting for tomorrow to start your life, it may never come.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs.BrainSurgeon View Post
                The funny thing is that in that time I have lived in 4 different places and I get homesick for all of them in different ways!
                So true!
                Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

You are not alone. I've been away from home for 6 years - and it'll be at least another 7 before we can consider moving home. I miss family in waves - some days are worse than others.
                  Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Me too.
                    I'm going through an especially bad homesick spell right now. It's almost worse the closer we get to moving home. It's easier to live in the moment when my mind is not full of arrangements to settle in back there.
                    Anyway, you're definitely not alone in your feelings.

Comment

I think its worse for medical spouses because you CAN'T move home.... everyone else who lives away from family at least has the option of returning. There is that freedom of knowing that if you really wanted to, you could move back. But with medicine you don't have that control/option. Its not like you can try out a place for a while and then move somewhere else if you don't like it...

Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

yesterday my so said you know you can move back if you want to, if you are really this upset. (this isn't the first time this conversation has happened in the last 3 years) I am just not good with change, and I always have trouble EVERY time we move making each town feel like a "home" and not being able to see my family when ever I want to. Especially hard when there are sick family members or ones that need help

Comment

I'm so sorry! I get homesick from time to time too. Hang in there!

Comment

Working...
                          X