Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

All ye Upper Midwest/Great Lakes peeps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All ye Upper Midwest/Great Lakes peeps

Looks like the storm brewing in your area is going to be a doozy! Stay safe!

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weath...cts_2010-10-25

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2...102510.article

How the upcoming cyclone ranks among other notable cyclones over the Great Lakes

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL
    1030 AM CDT MON OCT 25 2010

RANK EVENT DATE MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE
    1. Great Ohio Blizzard Jan 26, 1978 950 HPA / 28.05 inches
    2. Upcoming October event Oct 26-27, 2010 959 HPA / 28.35 inches **
    3. Armistice Day Storm Anniversary Storm Nov 11, 1940
    Nov 10, 1998 967 HPA / 28.55 inches 967 HPA / 28.55 inches
    4. Cyclone of 1913 (aka White Hurricane) Nov 7-9, 1913 968 HPA / 28.60 inches
    5. Edmund Fitzgerald Storm Nov 10, 1975 980 HPA / 28.95 inches
    * AVERAGE AMONG SEVERAL CURRENT FORECAST MODELS
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

I'm not going to lie...I'm sort of jealous
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

My family moved during the Great Ohio Blizzard of 1978.

Holy cow - am I reading that right? They're predicting 28.35 inches of SNOW over the next few days?

Comment

We're having SEVERE tornado/high wind/hail warnings, but nothing calling for snow. Way too warm here. It was 77F yesterday and at least 60F already this morning.

ETA: We're 30 minutes from Lake Michigan in far northern Indiana.
        Last edited by diggitydot; 10-26-2010, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
          My family moved during the Great Ohio Blizzard of 1978.

Holy cow - am I reading that right? They're predicting 28.35 inches of SNOW over the next few days?
          Wow moving during a blizzard?! That sounds like one crazy story!

28.35 inches is how low the barometric pressure is at the center of this storm. That is pretty low, comparable to hurricanes.

Ummm, it is just really cloudy here and already 60 degrees. I don't live anywhere near the Midwest though - we are supposed to have a chance of storms tonight and tomorrow, nothing like you all are supposed to get.
          Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

yeah, it's been warm and windy here the last day or two; from that first link, it looks like we're in for severe thunderstorms this evening/tonight. I'm sure I'll be let out of jury duty in plenty of time, I just hope DH gets home before it hits bad!
            Sandy
            Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Holy buckets you guys! Stay safe!

We're under a high wind advisory from now until tomorrow night. I winder if that is part of the same storm. Fortunately we aren't expecting anything white and fluffy.
              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

A friend of mine is trying to fly from Grand Rapids MI to Kansas via Chicago, she's already delayed 7 hours just getting from MI to Chicago. The wind is definitely picking up here.
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

A friend of mine landed at O'Hare a little while ago and the turbulence was awful. Air-sick bag awful. She was supposed to be in town for a one day modeling gig and it now looks like she'll be stuck longer.

Comment

Oop, there go the tornado sirens...

Comment

It is just wild to me that the weather can be so different just a few hundred miles away, okay maybe several hundred. 91 degrees and sunny here. I am ready for high 70's and low 80's.

Stay safe. I am offering a winter refuge in Florida to iMSNers whenever they get sick of 3 foot snow storms. Maybe I'll even have a house by then!
                      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Scarlett - we'd been living with my grandma while our house was being finished and my mom had HAD IT! A " little snow" was not going to keep her from moving in!

I'd considered driving thru OH to get to DC this weekend. Now I'm glad all my grand scheming didn't work out.

Comment

Can I just move in now, Heidi?

Comment

My folks are supposed to be flying back from Orlando today. We shall see if they make it! So far their flight hasn't been canceled.
                            Last edited by HouseofWool; 10-26-2010, 07:39 AM.
                            Kris

Comment

My husband flew back into Minneapolis last night, and Garrison Keillor was on his flight! The plane was abuzz about Minnesota's one celebrity. My husband isn't a fan.

Anyway it was the roughest flight he's been on in a while, and he said he was thinking "If I die at least I know Garrison Keillor is going down with me!"

(Obviously they landed safely, and my husband literally bumped into GK at baggage claim.)
                              Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                              Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                              Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Working...
                              X