Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Curb Address Painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curb Address Painting

So I got a flier on the door today saying that someone will be coming by painting the house numbers on the curb for free. They only suggest a donation. All you have to do is sign this paper, give your last name and your address. This screams scam to me..

First clue was something free. hahaha
    Brandi
    Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

We've gotten those, too. I assumed scam, but they actually did do it. You can pay more if you want an American flag painted next to your house number. Probably 2/3rds of my neighbors had it done .???

Comment

It's a kinda sorta scam but I know that first responders really like to be able to see where they are. I can't see my address from the street but there's no way the historical (aka hysterical) people would allow our numbers on the street. Because you know, when my house was built in 1907 it wouldn't have been done. Of course when my house was built in 1907 it didn't have air conditioning or a freaking swimming pool in the front yard, either.

Jenn

Comment

We had ours painted, but we paid a guy. He was just walking around the neighborhood asking. Guess it was a little strange, but it was only around $20 and it really needed to be redone. And he painted an OU next to it, so that was awesome.
        Laurie
        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

do you have an HOA? Or a landlord? I can't remember if you bought your house. Anyway, we have the curb painting as part of our HOA repaving only- If someone came and wanted to freshen ours up, I wouldn't do it simply bc it would probably be against some HOA rule or something like that.
          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I think it would be nice, in case of an emergency, so they can find your house ASAP.

Comment

My brother and I bought a stencil kit and spraypaint from Kmart and went around to neighborhoods doing this for $3 in the late eighties. We made a fair amount of cash but quickly worked through all the neighborhoods within walking distances. Because of this experience, I didn't feel scam vibes from your post at all.
              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

How helpful is it really to have the numbers on the curb if you live in a climate where it snows? I know that in some neighborhoods the curbs are obstructed by fallen leaves and snow at least half the year.
                Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I have always paid the couple bucks to have it done, I particularly like it when they add some sort of logo/picture, although I've seen that mainly in college towns. I suppose the snow thing is true, I just always thought it was kind of cute. I don't think the EMS thing ever crossed my mind but it's a really good point.

Comment

Many communities have boy scouts or some other organization that goes around and paints them for a donation. DH is obsessed with the fact that we don't have one (he hasn't fixed that yet, though, has he?) because when he was working as a firefighter/paramedic, it did make a really big difference (even in the Midwest where it snows ).
                    -Deb
                    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by bokelley View Post
                      All you have to do is sign this paper, give your last name and your address.
                      Why your last name and address? If they put a flier on the door, they should have had some system to just say if you wanted it done...that is the only part that is suspicious...

That, and, if they were going door-to-door, why not just bring the painting supplies and do it then??
                      Jen
                      Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Our rule for any door to door solicitators is to say No- because if we ever want something done, we'll do it ourselves or WE will look for someone, check references, etc. I don't even read the flyers they leave on our door.
                        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Working...
                        X