Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The Annual Things I'll Never Buy Again Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Annual Things I'll Never Buy Again Thread

Usually we do this about stuff we buy for our houses or recommendations based on things we have in our houses that we'd NEVER do again. (or wouldn't have done in the first place)

1) Crystal chandelier. Oh, sure they're flippin' pretty and all that and definitely appropriate to the era of my home but ##@%%&&*%$%^%$#$!!! they're miserable to clean. I couldn't figure out why the lady we bought the house from was so sad to leave her grandmother's chandelier but not so sad that she actually took the damn thing. 70 crystal drops, six crystal shades, six strings of crystal beads, six silver things that hold the drops, six arms, six crystal things that hold the light bulbs, the six lightbulbs themselves, the crystal beads in the middle, and the crystal centerpiece. Yes, indeed it's been fun. NEVER AGAIN will I have a crystal chandelier. or if I do I will have enough money to pay someone else to clean it.

Do not be snowed in the lamp store people, just keep on walking...

Jenn

You mean the live in maid won't clean them?

~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

After she cleans the shutters which have an inch of dust on them...

j.

Comment

After you clean it, bring the leaf blower in every month to blast the damn thing clean !!!!
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I think I've seen those things "dipped" in movies. I'd imagine that's a beyotch of a cleaning job if they've invented a whole new way of dusting for it.

We had one in my house as a kid. It was in a two story foyer - and never touched by anyone in my family. I think we had it cleaned once. I come by my slovenly ways honestly.
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

That's funny, we've lived here five months and our window at the top of our two story foyer is FILTHY. I've tried to get up on a ladder a few times, but I get about 3/4 of the way up and just talk myself out of it. I'm way too cheap to pay someone $100 to come clean it. Yup, that is what my neighbors pay, folks.

When I finally pay someone to paint this wall, I will have them clean it. Yes, I don't paint cathedral ceilings for the same reason...the rest of the walls I do myself.
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I'll Never Buy Again: P90X DVDs
              What I'll Be Buying Lots of in the Near Future: Ibuprofen

Comment

rice cooker, what was I thinking? I never even eat rice.
                The pull-up bar for the door, goodbye door frame.
                I love this thread!

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                  I'll Never Buy Again: P90X DVDs
                  What I'll Be Buying Lots of in the Near Future: Ibuprofen
                  It's a killer of a program, isn't it!
                  Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

This whole thread has me laughing... yep, BTDT to nearly every one. DH bought P90X a couple months ago... we have yet to start it up (I'm scared). Rice cooker? Yep. DH hates rice. Never used it. And our chandeliers have clear panes of glass in a hexagonal shape... people think the glass is frosted. One of the chandeliers is above the stove... go figure. And for the others, I'd probably have to build a scaffold to clean them. Meh... they can wait another 8 months until we move!

Add slate tile in the kitchen to the list. It's beautiful, yes, and you won't slip on it when it's wet. But it's dark, textured tile, which means that every bit of dirt & food gets stuck in the crevices, and it NEVER looks clean, even when my mom got on hands and knees to scrub the whole thing with a scrub brush. It needs to be sealed. Again... it can probably wait 8 months.

Really, the landlords are fantastic people, and we LOVE their house. We feel incredibly lucky to live here, but it does give us some ideas what we'd do differently in our own place.

Comment

Originally posted by thegirlnextdoor View Post
                      The pull-up bar for the door, goodbye door frame.
                      I love this thread!
                      Our new house doesn't even have a door frame that will fit it so my husband took it to the hospital and put it in their call room... Unfortunately I couldn't get him to take the "perfect push-up" weirdness in as well...!

Comment

Dh has been doing that p90x program in Houston. I think I'll pass on it! Lol I get sore from just carrying the laundry baskets up and down 3 flights of stairs. Definitely not ready for a whole new level of pain...
                        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs.BrainSurgeon View Post
                          Our new house doesn't even have a door frame that will fit it so my husband took it to the hospital and put it in their call room... Unfortunately I couldn't get him to take the "perfect push-up" weirdness in as well...!
                          That's a great idea! I was so distraught when my DH insisted on mounting that thing to our door frame! I wonder how the hospital admins feel about that new addition...lol

Comment

That's a great idea! I was so distraught when my DH insisted on mounting that thing to our door frame! I wonder how the hospital admins feel about that new addition...lol
                            I have one (that I bought for P90x) that doesn't need to mount to anything. Beautiful. Ironically, I came really close to buying a rice cooker yesterday.

By the way, if you do P90x, follow the food plan. Or else you end up like me and kill yourself for 3 months only to lose 2 lbs. I did see a marked improvement in my cardio and somewhat in my muscle tone, though. FIL has been doing it at 4:30 in the morning for 1.5 years.
                            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

If you actually EAT rice, a rice-cooker is a beautiful thing; we use our $1-at-a-garage-sale one at least once or twice a week (we buy our rice at costco in pretty large quantities, too).
                              Sandy
                              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Working...
                              X