Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What Halloween?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Halloween?

This is our first year of residency and I am slowly learning that we just don't recognize the holidays (like Labor day, Halloween, etc.) because they are just "another work day" in the hospital.

I know we cannot be alone in not "celebrating" Halloween... I just figured this would be the place where there might be others in the same boat! DH worked all weekend, we don't get trick-or-treaters, and we don't have kiddos so it was just another weekend in our house.

I did go for brunch for my sister's birthday yesterday morning, and I watched a movie on the couch by myself last night but nothing else too exciting.

Whether you celebrated or not what did you do?
    Loving wife of neurosurgeon

We went to a party last weekend and we hopefully will get some trick-or-treaters tonight--we have an animatronic bat that I hope will scare the heck out of some of them
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

The only reason I realize its Halloween this weekend is due to seeing some pretty hilarious git-ups as I run my errands. J has been on call for Halloween all three years of residency so far. Yesterday I ran errands and tried on wedding dresses with my tobeSIL. Today.. I went to the grocery store. Very exciting
      -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
      Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
      Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Originally posted by L.Jane View Post
        The only reason I realize its Halloween this weekend is due to seeing some pretty hilarious git-ups as I run my errands. J has been on call for Halloween all three years of residency so far. Yesterday I ran errands and tried on wedding dresses with my tobeSIL. Today.. I went to the grocery store. Very exciting
        Trying on wedding dresses - now that's exciting! Find any you liked?
        Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

I do have a kiddo but am still doing the low-key event. I hate Halloween- actually I don't hate it- I hate holiday decorating. So, there are no pumpkins or any decorations other than a wreath on my door. There aren't any kids on my street anyway. We're heading over to the other side of the neighborhood where all of the kids live and will do the treat-or-treating thing there. Dude will then get freaked out at the scary house at the end of one of the streets and will immediately want to go home- we'll be home no later than 8:30. It's an annual tradition. Jenn P- one of my neighbor's kids is going AS the Friendly Spot- tell your husband!

J.

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaNicole View Post
            Trying on wedding dresses - now that's exciting! Find any you liked?
            No, but it was a thrill to see myself in one. . I am excited to go home and go really looking with my mother and sister. I didn't expect anything on this trip. This was just to help me get some ideas of what I liked. Though when they put the first dress on me, before I saw myself in the mirror I said, "I feel like a little girl playing dress up in my mom's dresses" Then when I saw myself in the mirror I couldn't stop smiling. I found I like the square cut top the best. Sweetheart and cleavage aren't for me. (and I have a lot of cleavage)
            -L.Jane

Comment

We carved pumpkins and we will take DD (dressed in her duck costume) to a couple of neighbors for trick-or-treating. During residency, we went to a couple of Halloween parties, and we always tried to carve some pumpkins and hand out candy. But, it's always been a low key holiday. There were a couple of years when DH was on call for Halloween, so we barely even recognized the day! I think Halloween is mostly for the kiddos and college students
              Wife to a urologist; Mom to 2 wonderful kiddos

Comment

DH and I are currently sitting on the couch - he's reading for his next rotation, and I am grading papers...kind of
                Jen
                Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Hmmm - I am not a big decorate/do something big for each holiday kind BUT Someone once told me to not let medicine stop life and life has holidays. So, sometimes that meant me buying DH his fav candy and putting it in a haloween bowl or baking Thanks giving dinner for two (small servings of sides were baked in the toaster oven). Still, we have managed to have several holidays together. One of our favs was going to Arlington Cemetery during Memorial Day...I think that was during MS2.
                  Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

We carved a pumpkin and he has zombie makeup on. I'm sort of watching a Law & Order SVU marathon. Waiting for trick or treaters, but I doubt we'll get any. That's great for me because I made the mistake of buying a gigantic bag full of all my favorite candy bars at Costco. I somehow resisted it until last night.

I'm really not big on Halloween. I'm pretty competitive and I'd get really into the costume madness if I let myself. I would drive myself crazy if I only did a half-assed job, so I choose not to do it at all. Lame, I know.
                    Cristina
                    IM PGY-2

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
                      It's an annual tradition. Jenn P- one of my neighbor's kids is going AS the Friendly Spot- tell your husband!

J.
                      I believe a picture will be necessary. I'm so bummed the meet up didn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by MissCrabette View Post
                        I'm sort of watching a Law & Order SVU marathon.
                        Me too.
                        -L.Jane

Comment

Originally posted by L.Jane View Post
                          Me too.
                          Here too. Yay law and order

Comment

Our kids are way too into Halloween. As in, they've been in their costumes since 9am.

We decorated a couple weeks ago, carved pumpkins last weekend, and then took the younger two trick-or-treating at 5pm. Trick-or-treating in our city is from 5-pm-7pm only and our neighborhood is a super popular one. People come in and drop off kids by the carload/vanload. We have a tractor giving hay rides trough the neighborhood and an antique fire engine with people tossing candy from it to people walking around.

It's pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                              Trick-or-treating in our city is from 5-pm-7pm only and our neighborhood is a super popular one. People come in and drop off kids by the carload/vanload. We have a tractor giving hay rides trough the neighborhood and an antique fire engine with people tossing candy from it to people walking around.

It's pretty cool.
                              That is a super sweet deal for trick-or-treating!

I just sent DH out for more candy. We weren't home last year (I went to a friend's party and he worked), so we had no idea what to expect and only bought two bags. It is gone after about 20 TOTs and I'm hoping having our lights off and being at the end of the street will keep anyone away until he gets back! Some of these kids are SO. CUTE. I had three little ones: a firefighter (4 yrs old), chicken and vampire. I asked her what the chicken (maybe 3 yrs old) what a chicken said and she started clucking. The vampire, not even 2 yrs old, said nothing and stuck both hands in the candy bucket! I can't wait to have my own little ones to take trick-or-treating!!! We aren't super big on Halloween, but we enjoy the candy and seeing how excited the kids are.
                              Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Working...
                              X