Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Fun times on the job...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun times on the job...

OK I have to tell you guys my hiliarious story (now) about my job last week.

I was sent to a tiny, tiny town in Southwestern Virginia, where WV, VA, KY and NC all come together in a coal-producing community.

We got there on Wednesday- I had kind of a weird vibe but nothing too serious. then after lunch on Thiursday, my inner arm was itching- I looked down and it looked like I had poison ivy. 25 minutes later, it was on my left arm, too. Now, I was wearing a new dress, one that I hadn't washed first. My co-worker had to go back to the hotel so I went too, took a shower and changed in to different clothes. I felt a lot better.

So, we go back to the group home to finish up and then out to dinner. I started noticing red bumps all over my arms, then I went to the bathroom and noticed them on my upper thighs and butt. Fast forward to the hotel room at 9pm. I was talking to my beloved who started asking me all of these medical questions, which I then convinced myself was happening. (you know, like did I have an airway, etc...) and by 11pm I had huge purple welts over about 90% of my body.

I went down to the front desk and asked if they had a doctor on-call and of course they didn't but, get this- (and this would only happen in small town USA) the front desk clerk lent her car to a guy who was staying there and got him to drive me to the hospital (where they shot me up with Epi, Prednesone and Benedryl) and then when there wasn't anyone to come get me at 1am- got her mom to come with her, drive 35 minutes to the hospital to take me back to the hotel. (needless to say, the GM of that hotel is getting a letter from me!!)

Wow.

and I had to go back again at 8am where they shot me up with a different steroid and the hives pretty much came and went until about 10am Saturday. Luckily I was in Albequerque by Friday night and was at a wedding of two physicians and at least 20 of the guests were doctors, too! Just in case.

I have no idea what it was all about- except that 1) it could have been from the sizing on the dress and 2) both of the worst reactions happened about twohours after eating a Luna Bar. Rick and his co-workers said it looked more like a contact allergy than a food allergy but Lunas have been permanently removed from my list anyway!

So Viva Grundy, Virginia!!

Jenn

Wow Jenn! Thank goodness for small town people! With cars! Glad you are feeling better.

Jennifer
    Needs

Comment

Thank goodness you are OK! They sure sounded like small town folk to me--gotta love 'em!
      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Wow! I have now learned why I should always wash new clothes before I or the children wear them!!! 8O
        Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
        With fingernails that shine like justice
        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I am glad you are okay, too! I would have been freaking out. I don't always wash clothes before I wear them for the first time, especially dresses, but now I will. It is good to hear that people were willing to go out of their way to help you.

Sally
          Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

reaction

8O

Wow, Jenn....I'm glad you're OK!!! That is scarey!

Isn't it amazing that in small towns like that the people can be so hospitable?

Kris
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Jenn -
              I hope you are completely over the rashes now. How scary to be in a place where you don't know a soul and have all of that happen to you! The town reminds me of what would happen in the town where I grew up - small towns rule in the hospitality dept!!

Good luck with getting back to normal! Thanks for sharing!

Jen B.

Comment

Working...
              X