Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Fork it over!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork it over!!!!

I posted a couple months ago about our insurance dilemma for the month of July while we wait for dh's benefits to kick in as of August 1.

After doing some checking and asking a lot of people, it looks like we won't qualify for any short term medical coverage because of my pre-existing condition- pregnancy. Our best option is to purchase Cobra through our existing carrier at the low, low, low price of $1700 for one month. Following the upfront payment, coverage would then be 70/30. I am going to wrap Avery in gauze for the month of July and never leave the house to avoid out-of-pocket expenses.

Can they squeeze anymore out of us?

Jennifer
    Needs

8O Wow! Ouch! That is a lot of money! And 70/30 coverage after that??
    Yikes! 8O

Yes, take care of yourself, Avery, and husband over the coming month!

Comment

Oh my gosh--that is insane!
      I think I'd go the same route as you and keep my fingers crossed for a healthy month!
      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Does your state permit insurance companies to consider pregnancy a pre-existing condition? You might want to check your state laws because I know that in Texas it is illegal for medical insurance companies to consider pregnancy a pre-existing condition and they must pay in-network pregnancy-related costs for all insured members regardless of when they became pregnant (before or after coverage begins).
        Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
        With fingernails that shine like justice
        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Rapunzel that's the same in WA but it only was changed about 7 years ago or so.
          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

JLynnB,

I've done some quick research...check your inbox.

Since this is a topic that comes up for those of us following the peripatetic careers like our spouses, pregnancy may not be considered a preexisting condition for insurability purposes under federal law. I suspect, however, that Ron is ineligible for insurance benefits until his first day of employment, which means that COBRA from your previous insurer may just be your only viable, albeit expensive, option. Unless you can somehow get DH on the new payroll sooner. Good luck.

Insurance companies are the root of all evil.

Kelly
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Ouch!! That is a pretty penny to have to fork over for just one month!! We are going to be in that situation next year (the whole changing insurance with starting residency, etc.). We are currently on COBRA from my work (I quit when the kids came...), and it is hard to fork over the money each month.

What is that federal law about pregnancy and pre-existing conditions? My dh and I have been talking about that because I understood that we would have to either get pregnant to have our next baby before he graduates, or we would have to wait 6 months to a year on a new insurance plan, but if there is a law against that, I will definitely inform our new insurance company of it!

Good luck on getting through the month with no major catastrophies!!

Jen B

Comment

The federal law is the Health Insurance Portability Act/HIPPA of 1996 (also referred to as the Kennedy-Kassenbaum bill). It applies to both self-insured plans (also know as ERISA plans) and group insurance plans. That is good news for you since some major companies (and universities) self-insure. State legislation does not apply to ERISA plans. So, if your state requires a certain level of pre-natal or pregnancy coverage a self-insured plan would not have to comply with those requirements.

Comment

It does suck to have to pay this price for our health. I am referring to short term medical policies when I said they considered pregnancy a pre-existing condition. This is temporary insurance you can purchase anywhere from 30 days to 12 months when you are in between jobs, just finished college or waiting for health insurance to kick in (like us). The short-term medical has cheaper policies, but doesn't give us the coverage we need so we will be purchasing the Cobra.

The insurance through Ron's new job kicks in one month after he begins working. Pregnancy is not considered a pre-existing condition through this policy.

Kelly, we tried to play around with the dates he is put on payroll so we have may coverage sooner. However, the official completion date of his fellowship is June 30th. Ron's first day of work is July 7th. They were nice and put him on payroll July 1 so we have benefits starting August 1. If Ron wasn't on payroll the first of the month for July, he would have to wait until September 1 to receive health coverage.

It is a big mess!

Jennifer
                  Needs

Comment

yipes

Jennifer....honestly...I feel that something like this should be illegal in this country....I just am stunned that they would count pregnancy as a pre-existing condition and try and make you pay $1700 for coverage for one lousy month! Is there any way that his new employer might offer him the option of buying in a little early with the insurance for less than that????

kris
                    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Working...
                    X