Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Norma McCorvey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norma McCorvey

I just heard this on CNN and thought it was interesting...Norma McCorvey was the original "Jane Roe" in Roe vs Wade...and she is i n Texas today trying to have the Supreme Court overthrow Roe v. Wade. Regardless of where you stand on the issue of abortion, I think that this really is a heartbreaking story. Apparently, she lived through years of horrible guilt where she abused drugs, etc....before embracing a pro-life stance. It is interesting that the "poster child" of abortion has become its greatest enemy.

In any case...I'm not trying to incite any type of riots or debates on the morality of abortion...I just thought this was an interesting story.

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I remember hearing about her years ago and thinking that her story was a significant one of being "used" for political purposes and how politics can completely trample morality in the name of upholding a principle. It's a sad and noteworthy story.
    Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
    With fingernails that shine like justice
    And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I have also heard that she is pro-life now and read an interview with her some years back. What was interesting to me as I read it is that she was clearly used by the pro-choice side in order to make a point. She was young, uneducated, and poor, and the case quickly changed from being about her to being about a whole agenda of which she was not aware.

There is another guy who was insturmental in getting abortion legalized who has written a book -- Bernard Nathanson is his name. I think he is a former president of the NARAL (National Abortion Rights Action League) who is now very strongly pro-life and de-bunks all of the arguments he used earlier to support his stance.

I don't want to start a debate either, because I have good friends on both sides of this one, but are women and particularly children really better off now, some 30 years later, because of this legislation? I think the idea that life can be ended legally as long as it is inside the womb has cheapened the lives of those just outside the womb -- who are some of our most vulnerable beings.

I believe in choice BEFORE conception occurs, and I wholeheartedly believe in birth control -- but after seeing my ultrasounds as early as 3 or 4 weeks after conception, there is *NO* way I can support abortion, or even be casual about it. I had better stop, since I said I don't want to debate! I have probably said too much already.

Sally
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Ummm, I think this may qualify as starting a debate. :P

Comment

SHHHHHHH!

Sally
          Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Biting . . . my . . . tongue . . .

I will, however, say that I, too, am very pro-birth-control and believe the stuff should be practically growing on trees and readily available to everyone who can possibly be convinced to use it. It was just earlier this year (or maybe it was late last year) that my state started requiring all employers to cover prescription birth control in their employees' health insurance plans. I'd be happy to see this policy go nationwide as soon as possible--it's a good step. I used to give some merit to the idea "why should everyone else have to pay for those who choose to have sex?" but now I think the answer is "because otherwise everyone pays a much higher price when they have unwanted children." I'd much rather pay for the birth control.

I realize that some consider birth control immoral, but that's based on their religion (from what I understand) and of course they're free to practice that, but I'm also highly opposed to legislating based on religious beliefs.

Okay, down off the soapbox now. 8)
            Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
            Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
            Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

a little tangent about the policy coverage...

When I started working, it was interesting to me that all of the plans covered birth control and even abortions, but only one would cover any type of fertility treatment (which is what we were looking for in a health plan). To me, that seemed just a bit backward and sad.

I won't get into the whole pro-life debate, although I do have very strong feelings regarding that matter. It seems to me that your decision to begin or end a life is completely yours to make... BEFORE you get into a sexual situation!! There's a funny little saying in life that when you choose your actions, you also choose the consequences that go along with those actions...

Okay, I'll stop before a full blown debate starts .

Have a great day!
              Jen B

Comment

I think a full-blown debate has already started!

Sally, I will not be silenced!!! (I'm just teasing you).

Comment

Hmmmmm

I just realized something - I don't personally know any full-time moms who support abortion except in cases of rape or medical necessity. Is there a correllation there or is it just coincidence? Just curious.

Comment

I'm a full-time (well, maybe part time when I have a project) and I support abortion rights.

Comment

Originally posted by nmh
                      I'm a full-time (well, maybe part time when I have a project) and I support abortion rights.
                      I have worked full-time, part-time, and not at all as a mom and my opinion about this hasn't changed during any of those phases.

Comment

I wonder if she isn't beign used again by the pro-life side. I also support the legal right to have a safe abbortion if that is your choice. I don't think anyone wakes up and says gee today I think I'll have an abortion. I hope my daughters never find themselves in that situation, but if they do I want to know they would have access to a safe legal one. I would never push my belief on anyone, but respect the right for a woman to choose for herself.
                        Luanne
                        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I'm a full time stay at home, work at home mom who supports abortion rights. Not entering the debate, though!
                          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Well, this is certainly interesting! So, of the mothers on this site who support voluntary abortion I am curious about a couple of things:
                            Would you personally ever consider aborting a fetus for reasons other than being raped or having your life at stake? If so, then under what circumstances (what circumstances would you find it justifiable in other words) would you submit to a voluntary (ie non-medically necessary) abortion? I am very curious about this.

Comment

First, I have been thinking about the working mom vs stay at home mom and among my friends and associates don't see a correlation between the work status and opinion on abortion. I know working moms who are pro-life and some who are pro-choice and stay at home moms who are pro-choice and some who are pro-life.

I am not going to answer the specifics of your questions other than to say that what I would or would not do personally does not dictate my belief about laws that apply to all of society.

Comment

Working...
                              X