Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Black Friday anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is someone who has already set up camp outside a Best Buy in St. Petersburg, FL. Of course, Best Buy gave her an iPad for her dedication .

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/play...p/?cl=23151970
    Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

I usually go bright and early, but I just don't have the good holly jolly spirit in me this year. I can't wait to hear about all the good deals though!!
      Brandi
      Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

I may get up at the butt-crack of dawn (if Sophie wakes me) and to some on-line shopping... Especially for walmart, with their site to store... All I have to do is pick up the stuff? Heck yeah!
        Kris

Comment

It's not even going to be difficult for me to participate in Buy Nothing Day this year, seeing as how we'll be en route to our little place in the mountains, hours from the nearest shopping and without TV, internet, or phone.
          Alison

Comment

So I'm looking through the ads and have been for at least 30 minutes and I'm not even half way through. So far there is nothing jumping out at me but I could see how specific things would pull people out.
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Like what? ( not arguing, just curious). I can't imagine what kind of deal would get me out of bed at 3 am to be at Target at 4 ( or wherever). I'm so perplexed by the hours these stores are opening - and terribly grateful that I'm no longer working retail!

Comment

Well, this has sort of become a tradition for me after I waited all night outside in front of gamestop for the wii for my boys! LOL I just enjoy the process .... going through the ads, getting up early and going out before the kids get up. It's one day of the year. For the last 2 years, I haven't even ended up buying anything because what I went for was gone.

I suppose it's like the hunter who could buy his meat at the grocery store or butcher's shop ... but enjoys the hunt? I could go online .... pay $20 more ... but I just like going through the motions on this one day out of the year. I'm a tradition junkie.

Kris
                ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Well, as someone who has done this every year, I'll tell you. Trying to buy nice Christmas gifts on a resident's salary is hard. Last year, for example, I got my son a $1000+ laptop for about $400. You can save hundreds or thousands of dollars. Getting a new house this year, I am considering getting a front load washer and dryer pair for about $1300 less than normal price. So yeah, it's worth it to me. $1 off Candy Land, or $10 off an mp3 player, not so much. But, if I am already up and in Best Buy, then I'll pick up $5 Wii games for my nieces and nephews. It adds up and makes a huge, huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

DH and I are debating. We'll be moving (again) in about 15 months so I REALLY don't want to add to the amount of crap we pack any more than absolutely necessary. However, there are a couple things we're on the cusp of needing to get. Our washer/dryer combo is about 12 years old and is going to need to be replaced soon. With the sales at Sears, Home Depot and hhgregg, we could get the nifty ones we've been looking at forever pretty inexpensively.

Comment

I just don't like that the stores are going to be open ON Thanksgiving this year (Wal-Mart is guilty). Open at 3 am, fine, whatever, but the actually holiday is sacred.
                      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                        I just don't like that the stores are going to be open ON Thanksgiving this year (Wal-Mart is guilty). Open at 3 am, fine, whatever, but the actually holiday is sacred.
                        Maybe I'm a little dense, but what exactly is sacred about Thanksgiving? As far as I know, it's not a religious holiday. Just curious.
                        Cristina
                        IM PGY-2

Comment

Last night I went to Target and it was absolutely EMPTY. I think everyone else was home cooking or in the grocery store. I'm not in the market for any big ticket items, so it was nice to get some shopping done hassle free.
                          Luanne
                          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

With home and car insurance due next month (not paying in installments cause we like to save some money by paying all at once), rentals and such, there is little left of resident's salary for black friday.. a camera with $30 discount off retail price (final price $129.99) may be what's for us this christmas. But then again, some people told me that electronics would have more sales during post x-mas season or early jan to make way for new items... should i wait? DH wants a washer dryer combo too, but alas it is not within resident's budget to get one so soon... hope MOONLIGHTING can solve such woes for us next year... happy thanksgiving everyone...
                            Match Day was the happiest day of my life... followed by my wedding day...

Comment

labmouse, I would wait until after Xmas ... give each other shopping certificates.

Cheri, I went through our adds and there isn't anything that would get me out the door early in the morning. I might just ... enjoy sleeping in tomorrow. The big ticket items I have in mind for Andrew and Alex are coming from Amazon this year ..... Maybe I really will just sleep in this year...

Kris
                              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Yep, DH and I have totally been there too. Some holidays we don't get each other anything, this year we're limiting to $100 each. We also only buy the kids one thing each plus something from Santa, they're little they won't remember and they have lots of family that buy them gifts. My family only does the kids and DH's family is small so we're able to stay in a small budget still and I really hope it doesn't increase that much after training.
                                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Working...
                                X