Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Am I crazy??!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I crazy??!!

Maybe it's all of the pregnancy hormones....

I have had this idea for the last year (well the last two years-- Nellie knows my idea ), but haven't acted on it because I am shy and chicken. I guess afraid of the idea being shot down or rejected.

NO MORE! I am taking action, and I have started to put my idea into motion. I have decided I want to organize a Spouses/Partners Association for the Residents at the University of Washington. I contacted last year the President of Medical Partners at the University of Iowa on advice on how to organize, even if it is small to start, a group similar to theirs.

I emailed the President of UW Housestaff Association this morning! I have to admit I am nervous. I hope it works out. My next plan if a) I don't hear back in the next couple of weeks or b) there is nothing organized, then I am going to start recruiting, ie- emailing all of the residency program admins at UW requesting that they forward my inquiring as to who is interested. I actually feel really good about this. I feel it is time for me to either forget about this idea or put it into action. I wanted to do something like it at Univ of CO, but didn't.

What do you think? Am I crazy? Anyone have any more suggestions for getting this headstarted and off the ground? I have a folder of stuff that the UI Pres sent me.

Thanks in advance,

Crystal
    Gas, and 4 kids

Go For IT!!!!

Yeah, Crystal...Go For IT!!!! You aren't Crazy at all! I can't wait to hear how it all turns out. As a matter of fact, if you are willing, perhaps you could write an article about (I know, I know...here she goes, right??? ) starting up an auxiliary organization and include all of the info that you find out....You could help encourage other men and women contemplating doing something like this to go for it as well!!!!

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

You aren't crazy--that sounds like a fabulous idea! I would love it if someone would start one here (though I am not interested in doing so myself!)
      Go for it!
      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

You ARE crazy, Crystal, but in a GOOD way! You have a very good idea!
        Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
        With fingernails that shine like justice
        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I think you should go for it!
          I'm not sure of U of Oregon has something similar, I'll have to check it out. If not, I am coming to you for advice!
          Sounds like Iowa has it pretty together. I know someone who is putting together a website for the residency programs at her husband's school. When you get to that point, PM me if you want her info. (hmm... you might know her.....)

GO, CRYSTAL!

Comment

Crystal -
            That is WONDERFUL!!! We are in the process of trying to start something up at Wayne State. Right now we are just in the process of having a sig. others orientation to correlate with the med students orientation. I would love to pick your brain on some of the ideas that you have already. You GO FOR IT!!! That is wonderful!!

Jen B.

Comment

well

If you are starting one up and would like to have some server space for a group website....you are welcome to some......

Many of us have been involved in auxiliary organizations...and of course..the iMSN is kind of one as well...so if you need help, I'm sure you could pick the brains of many of the members.

Have Fun with it!!!

kris

Comment

Seems like an excellent idea to me. I hope wherever we go for residency has something like that--seems like it could be such a great and mutually beneficial lifeline for everyone. Kudos.
                Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Great idea for UW

Crystal- It's an excellent idea to start a Spouses/Partner network at UW!My husband is just starting M3 there, but we are both in our mid 30's and probably have more in common with the residents than most of the med students. I'd be happy to pitch in if you need help with organizing the group.
                  Chris

Comment

medical spouses

Wow..I think you two should definately team up together...what a great way to get to know each other too! Who is to say that the group couldn't encompass both med student and resident spouses? And....I'd venture to guess there are some other non-traditional students in your husband's class, Chris? Maybe this would be a fun way to get to know them?

In any case...I hope you guys go for it!

kris

Comment

Great idea! I have often thought of doing this at my husband's program but haven't motivated. In doing some research recently I came across a program the AMA has to help start spouse programs They even give grants apparently! I don't know much about it but here is a link to their site. http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/2178.html. The newsletters there have the contact info on who to contact, etc.

Let us know what happens!

Comment

Update!

So.... I got an email back from the incoming president of the Housestaff Association (Amy), and she thinks it is a FABULOUS idea! Amy likes the idea so much that she wants to help me get this going and off the ground. She wants to add the name of the group (guess I have to come up with a name 8O ) and my name as a contact to the Housestaff Website. Matt jokingly said I should call it the Impaired Relationship Club. Somehow, I don't think that will win any members.

At least for the initial orientation (meeting space and money), I will be on my own, but it sounds like I will have future financial help with this from the Housestaff. Medical Partners in Iowa charges $18 a year for membership, plus does fundraisers and has sponsers to fund 3 major events a year- a Welcoming BBQ, a Winter Holiday Party, and a Going Away/End of the Year Party. But we'll see. I think I need to get an idea of how many would be interested in this.

My next job is to write an email for the entire UW Housestaff, so she can forward it on to everyone letting them know about this. 8O

Crystal
                        PS- I haven't been ignoring people, we have been in the process of moving, and thus time on-line has been limited.
                        Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Wow! I am so excited! My husband is starting his third year in family practice residency at Tacoma Family Medicine (a UW program). If you could include all of the area UW programs, that would be wonderful. And - if you want help with anything, I would love to be involved! My husband went to school in Kansas City at an Osteopathic school and we had a fabulous auxiliary association there. I have lots of fun ideas if you are interested! Let me know. Elesa

Comment

Wow

Crystal....This is awesome...what an incredible response you've gotten. I can't wait to hear how your project evolves!!! It looks like you already have your first few members!!!!!!!!!!!!

kris

Comment

Crystal,

Good luck...I'm hoping that this works out for you. Congrats on showing such leadership!

Kelly
                              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
                              X