Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Renting or owning... you're screwed either way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renting or owning... you're screwed either way

So as I sit here listening to my scruffy old plumber stomping up and down my stairs, slamming the front door repeatedly, and making all sorts of other ungodly noises with saws and drills, all while constantly muttering to himself, it occurs to me... it doesn't matter if you rent or own, either way you're screwed.

This past weekend my friend called to ask if she could stay with me for a couple of nights because her heater had gone out. Her landlord decided that since she will be selling the house as soon as my friend moves out this coming spring she doesn't want to pay for a new heating unit (which 3 different HVAC repairmen have now said it is in dire need of replacing). Instead, she wants the repairman to simply replace the part that's broken (which, as it turns out, is only about $1000 less than buying a new unit -- and obviously adds no value to the house like a new unit would). So after nearly a week without heat, my friend is still sleeping on my couch waiting for this difficult-to-find part to come in and the repairman to replace it. Their best guess is it will be done by Monday.

Well her crashing at my place turned out to be something of a blessing, because on Tuesday my dad came over to help me fix my leaky faucet in my shower. I'll spare you the details, but basically it took a LOT of force to get the shower handle off in order to replace the o-rings and stop the leak because whoever had put the handle on in the first place had done it incorrectly. Well what we didn't know at the time was that when my dad was applying so much force to get the handle off, he was also twisting the two small copper pipes that connect the handle to the shower valve, creating cracks in the pipe. After we reassembled everything and turned the water back on, everything looked just fine so I left for work. Well about an hour later my friend, who has just arrived at my house, calls me. "Ummm, there's water leaking from your kitchen ceiling and is soaking the floor." Awesome. So I head home, cut off the main water line, and call the plumber. He discovers the twisted pipes and says he doesn't have time to fix it that night (as it's already around 8pm) so he'll come back tomorrow. He shows up the next day (an hour and a half late, of course) and shows me the price of the parts for the repair. He senses my sticker shock, so tells me I can go to Lowes and buy the part myself for a fraction of the price and he'll come back the next day to finish the job. Ok. By now it's Thursday and I'm waiting around with my brand new part for him to show up and install it. Finally, late Thursday afternoon I call the company to find out where he is. Apparently he's not scheduled to come out until Friday between 8 and 10am. Gee, thanks for telling me. Friday 10am comes and goes, no plumber. I call back. "Oh, it says here we were waiting to hear back from you." Ummmmm.... no. I have been sitting at my house now for a DAY AND A HALF waiting for him to show up, so trust me, it's not me you're waiting on. Ok, he'll be there this afternoon. So now here I sit, my plumber finally here making a horrible racket, crossing my fingers that he'll be out of here soon. Oh, and did I also mention that I just got back from the local hardware store because THE PLUMBER didn't have the right parts so he had ME go run to the hardware store while he kept working? Aren't you a plumber?? Shouldn't you have these things with you??? I swear he better give me a serious discount...

So moral of the story is, whether you're dealing with penny-pinching landlords who take over a week to fix your heater, or noisy plumbers who don't show up on time and forget half their materials, renting AND owning both suck. Also, never let your dad fix your leaky faucet .
    Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

That sucks and I agree... unless you rent on a university campus. We were so spoiled when we lived in family housing for the four years of medical school. They fixed everything including light bulbs within 24 hours. It was pure bliss. Now we own and it was my job to call the plumber and clean it up when raw sewage started coming out of our basement shower.

Comment

Ugh... That whole story sucks!
      I sure hope you get a discount too. But as a Admin. gal that supplies parts to plumbing companies a) they are ALWAYS late and b) they never help a customer out hope this is the end of your home owning troubles!

Comment

Originally posted by DrS'sMiss View Post
        Ugh... That whole story sucks!
        I sure hope you get a discount too. But as a Admin. gal that supplies parts to plumbing companies a) they are ALWAYS late and b) they never help a customer out hope this is the end of your home owning troubles!
        Well I wish you supplied this guy, then maybe I wouldn't have had to go to the hardware store for him!! LOL
        Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Lol! I know sorry about that! I can't believe he made you go get something from the store. Nothing like customer service these days!

Comment

Our plumber is one of our patients. He was on a vent and DH literally saved his life. He has a family owned business for over 40 years and is wonderful!!!!! Our electrician is also a patient!!!! We get WONDERFUL service.
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Always look for the local, family owned business, that has been around for at least 20 years.
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

We rent. I'm so glad we don't have to deal with this!!

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne123 View Post
                  Always look for the local, family owned business, that has been around for at least 20 years.
                  Completely agree!

Try to look for builders like that as well. My dad would fix houses he built even if it was no longer the original owner in the home. He regularly got calls on Christmas and other holidays for broken ovens, leaky roof, etc. and would make sure those problems got fixed ASAP.
                  Tara
                  Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by bb35 View Post
                    We rent. I'm so glad we don't have to deal with this!!
                    ditto...

Some maintenance is only done on weekdays during business hours, but no heat counts as emergency maintenance and is done immediately! We actually lost heat 2 weeks ago, and the guys came within an hour to fix it. A few days later, it broke again, and by the time I came home from work, they had replaced the unit. I imagine the landlords for rental houses tend to be worse on average than those for apartment complexes, though. Can your friend take any recourse against her landlord? She should look at her lease as well as tenant rights in your area.
                    Anyway, sorry about all the house drama!!
                    Back in the Midwest with my PGY-2 ortho DH and putting my fashion degree to good use.

Comment

I've pretty much had crappy landlords in all rental apts I've been in. The best was a guy who lived in the bldg and was in construction. We still had to fight him over the heat. He was always drunk & kept our apt at 60 degrees and claimed it was warm. We bought a thermometer to prove the temp but he claimed it was warm in his apt so he wouldn't up the heat. Lame. I've lived in complexes too and the service and repairs always blows! I think I'd rather own and have it more under my control.
                      Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

I'm thinking that if we ever move again, I'm going to rent. This owning crap sucks- and the property taxes are ridiculous and that's on top of all of the maintenance and upkeep.

J.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCHoosier View Post
                          Can your friend take any recourse against her landlord? She should look at her lease as well as tenant rights in your area.
                          Yeah I told her to check her lease agreement, not sure if she's done it yet. She would really like to not have to pay her rent for the days that she's been displaced and I don't blame her. And to make matters worse, the landlord lives over an hour away so every time the repairman comes out to the house it's my friend that has to go meet him, not the landlord. We'll see -- I certainly think there should be some sort of compensation for all this hassle, but I've found in the past that just because something is wrong and unfair doesn't necessarily mean it's illegal so what do I know . I'm also starting to think there should be a basic household knowledge test that landlords have to pass in order to become a landlord -- this lady knows NOTHING about home maintenance and repair, it's pathetic.

Though given the two options, I'm actually glad I own and don't rent. It would drive me crazy to have so little control over my own living environment. Guess I'm something of a control freak

Comment

Working...
                          X