Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Any over-the-top gifts for your kids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any over-the-top gifts for your kids?

Let me start by saying we are truly blessed. That said, my husband's aunt keeps our jaws dropping every year. Now, she & her husband have no kids and are only 48-50 years old. Last year were the bikes for our girls. 150 each plus gift cards for helmets and pads. This year -- Kindles. Each girl got her own. And the boy? A handmade wooden wheelbarrow. Preschooler-sized. Ha ha! At least MIL has come to terms with her little sister outspending her on gifts for her own grandkids.

What did your kids get that had your eyes popping out of your head?
    Veronica
    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Not for the kids...but MIL got me a $50 gift card, pearl necklace, flip video camera, and two pashmina scarves
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Holy cow! Will she adopt my hubby? mine gave me a Groupon to Nordstrom Rack. I already had one. I'll be spending 100 there this week.
      Veronica

Comment

My MIL gave me a new glider rocker with a glider ottoman for when I have my own place. I was truely amazed. But the best was when she said validated all of my divorce concerns and told me to stand firm.
        Kris

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
          My MIL gave me a new glider rocker with a glider ottoman for when I have my own place. I was truely amazed. But the best was when she said validated all of my divorce concerns and told me to stand firm.
          Beautiful.
          Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

I agree.
            Veronica

Comment

Kris, that is probably the best gift you could have gotten!

My kids didn't get any over the top gifts - just a LOT of them. They kept opening and opening and opening.

My IL's were generous as usual, DH and I each got a sizeable check for some shopping. I got a kindle from DH - yay!

Did anybody else's kids get Sing-a-majigs? I'm thinking about taking A's back because they are not as portrayed in the commercials IMO.
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

BabyK got two sing-a-majigs. Never saw the ad but he loves them.
                Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

My mother always get DH something expensive that he wants. Like a Wii, etc. and she spends hundreds of dollars on the boys. This year my dad got me an Oreck! This thing cleans carpet like a professional machine. http://www.oreck.com/Orbiter-Multi-P...-Floor-Machine
                  Last edited by Chrisada; 12-26-2010, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Not for my kids, but I got a 1.6-carat diamond anniversary band from DH (we celebrated our tenth in June). If I could figure out how to attach a picture I would, it's GORGEOUS.
                    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Chrisada: have you used it on hardwood floors? I'm interested that!

Jane: Woot woot on the Bling!

Comment

Since we live so far away, the kids get buckets-o'-cash from various relatives. I think the grand total for all three of them this year was almost $800. Yeah, that's stupid. An 8 y/o can only buy just so many LEGOs. The kids' big present from us this year was a trip back home to visit the fam.

DH and I never buy each other gifts. This year we both broke that rule. I got him a Nextec tool (multi-function tool with a bazillion attachments, almost like a large Dremel), and DH got me a Nook pre-loaded with some of my favorites and a coue new authors I've been thinking about checking out. Dude did good.

Comment

Wow, lots of awesome gifts!

Kris - I think your gift is the best of all.

I got a Coach purse from my father and stepmom, wasn't expecting that at all. They also got us (well, DH) two tickets to see a pro hockey game at center ice, about 7 rows up. Otherwise, all of the other gifts were to be expected - we got a lot of stuff we needed, plus the usual crap from my mother we don't need. I love snowman decor, but I have run out of space to put the stuff she keeps buying me!
                          Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

I got a really fancy new chef's knife that is all hand forged steel from my husband, I love it! That and lots of new clothes, he really likes to shop for me and does a better job of it than I do. We are heading back home to my parents' house in a few days and that's usually where we get our "over-the-top" presents so we will we see... Really having my parents pay for our flights back to California and to see my whole family is present enough! Overall it was a wonderful Christmas being our first married one and all!

Comment

I put a Sing-a-ma-jig in Kenny's stocking. His sisters have been playing with it more than he has.
                              Veronica

Comment

Working...
                              X