Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Grinding Teeth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding Teeth

Any other teeth grinders out there?

My two front teeth started chipping pretty badly in the few months leading up to the wedding. (Not too surprising--I was a stressed out basketcase with my weird heart arrhythmia, peeling fingernails etc.)

I got it fixed and have had to go back to the dentist twice to get different chips repaired again. He warned me that if it keeps up at this rate I might have to get veneers. Not cool. He asked me if I was grinding my teeth and I told him I didn't know, but hadn't had any signs I was.

Anyway, since DH has been on his winter break, he's been up later than I am and says I am grinding something fierce--enough that he can clearly hear.

I'm assuming that is the issue that is causing the chipping. I have no idea how long I've been doing it or what options I have. If you have this issue, did it go away? Did you use a night guard?
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

I DO have this issue and definitely need to use a night guard. When my dental/medical kicks in at my new job that's one of the first things on my agenda. I think it doesn't hurt to try right??

Comment

I grind my teeth while I sleep, especially when I'm stresses. I got a night guard several years ago, and it was amazing! I couldn't believe how much better I felt in the morning when I used it - I slept so much better! They're expensive, but definitely worth it. It will help so much!
      Laurie
      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I've heard that you can try a cheapie mouth guard from a sports equipment store. If it helps great! But if you spit it out or it doesn't help, you should get a custom fit one from a dentist.
        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Dh grinds his teeth pretty fiercly. He has some bad dental problems due to it. He needs a dental guard from a dentist but keeps putting it off due to expense & busyness. He still needs an implant too Dental problems ick! We tried an over the counter dental guard but it didn't work for him. Definitely try one.
          Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

I clench my teeth and was it was recommended to me that I get a night guard but I never have. My teeth are worn and it makes my TMJ worse so I really should get one. I was also told that I needed jaw surgery to fix it but I'm definitely avoiding that nonsense. Setting up dentists appts. is on my list of Big To Dos for 2011!

Comment

When I stress I grind and eat the insides of my cheeks. I bought a cheap night guard from CVS. Its one of those ones you boil, then put in your mouth to shape to your mouth. It came in a two pack because you do eventually grind it down, but its a good test to see if a night guard works for you before buying the really expensive one.
              -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
              Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
              Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Thank you, thank you! I grind sometimes, probably when I'm stressed. I woke up this morning feeling like I had clenched my teeth all night. Sometimes that gives me headaches. I really should look into this. Any idea how expensive a guard from the dentist would be?

Originally posted by L.Jane View Post
                When I stress I grind and eat the insides of my cheeks.
                I thought I was the only weirdo who did that. Good to know I'm not alone.
                Cristina
                IM PGY-2

Comment

That's exactly how mine felt. It will depend on if/how much your insurance will pay, and I think lots won't cover them at all (which I think is stupid). I paid around $400-500 for mine. I can't remember if that was the full cost or if my insurance contributed.
                  Laurie

Comment

I am on I think my 4th night guard. I definitely have a problem - I keep grinding through them! I think with some insurance coverage the ones from the dentist cost around $200. My last dentist was able to get them replaced free of charge when they broke, so I've only had to buy two.

One dentist also suggested I stop chewing gum during the day. I kind of failed at that. And another suggested more orthodontia, which is probably going to happen but not any time soon.

I'm a mess, is all I'm saying.
                    Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

I have a chipped tooth from grinding. Having gone through a couple different dentist-made applicances, I think I would try out the pharmarcy version next. I have heard they are worthy. I was also told to stay away from gum chewing and be aware of clenching my jaw. It gives me migraines sometimes.
                      Needs

Comment

I just found out that I'm a teeth grinder. I think it's been going on for a while. I don't know what to do. If my teeth are worse at the next dental appt I guess I'll ask about a night guard, but I'm not sure I could sleep with one in... I'm a side sleeper. Seems like that would be really uncomfortable, and I already sleep like crap.

I'm trying to exercise more to relieve stress... That may help.
                        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Wow--great advice! I'm kicking myself now, because I had already paid my dental deductible for 2010 and now I'll have to definitely pay the 2011 deductible (normal cleanings and xrays are covered at 100%) since I'm sure I cant get in before Friday. Grrrrr.
                          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I am a teeth grinder, but I find when I chew gum it seems to be worse, to I have cut that out as much as possible. I tried the over the counter mouthgard but didn't find it comfortable enough to leave in. My dentist is watching my teeth, and if they get worse than I'll get the mouth gaurd, but for now I don't seem to be doing it too much.

Just remember, the mouth guard is cheaper than veneers!

(Being a grown up sucks, we just spent over $1,500 on our cars, and our eyes/glasses/contacts, in the last few weeks!)
                            Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Peggy - I also sleep on my side, and it never bothered me. I can't say enough good things about how much better I sleep with it in. After my first night with it, I felt like I'd gotten a couple extra hours of sleep! I don't use it now because I'm up so often with DS that I don't want to mess with it, but I should. I can definitely tell a difference in how my jaw feels.
                              Laurie

Comment

Working...
                              X